Cycling - 2022 the remco show

BigFatCoward

Things are coming thick and fast. Giro starts on saturday, lovely route, 3 TT total 60 km ish. Lots of huge mountains (Agnello and stelvio) but no real super hard MTF. None of the leaders have super strong teams in the Ineos/Jumbo style to stifle action. It could be a classic. 6 clear favourites in the below order for me

Thomas (because of TT and seems to be riding into form)

Yates

SK/Fuglsang/Vlasov

Nibali (he looked a bit better in WC road race, and he never really peaks except when he does. His historic 3rd week form could be great for stage 18/20. But will he lose too much in early TT and mountain finish at Etna on stage 3 or the almost mountain top finish on stage 5? 

Giro is always the best GC for me, and the scenery is beautiful. 

Steephill has the profiles who anyone who wants to look. Stages 17, 18 and 20 all look decisive. 

Love the giro I think G is probably the favourite his team are always pretty strong.

Fuglsang was right there with the best in the world champs and has good one day form but I've never seen him sustain it for three weeks.

Yates won tirreno gc and his team are usually pretty good tactically

Nibali can never be written off and I love a final stage time trial but it's 15km on the flat and I'm not sure that's going to be long enough for major changes unless it's a really tight gc all the way through.

It's a real shame evanpoel had the big crash it would have been really cool to see him in the giro. 

It definitely would have been very interesting to see how he would have performed, and quite frankly he would have been number 1 favorite based on what we have seen. Still, he has everything left to prove in a GC of course.

Thomas and Simon Yates the major favorites here for me. Vlasov and Fuglsang interesting podium contenders.

Quickstep has an strong team btw, Masnada, James Knox, Almeida ( who I could see do top 5/10), Ballerini, Hodge.

Nibali so invisible this year...first time I saw his face was last Sunday. He will be there I think but I dont see him win anymore. Ciccone interesting dark horse.

Well that went as well as possible for G. Everyone apart from yates lost an extra 30 seconds due to weather. But still, if he is putting 30 seconds Into people in 15km, expect another 90 seconds in the other 2 TTs. All he has to do is follow wheels, if the route isnt snowed off, everyone attacking relentlessly and ineos being less strong than normal, it could be epic. 

On 10/4/2020 at 5:05 PM, lmanion said:

Sucked in Alaphillipe that was a piss poor move in the sprint, feel sorry for hirschi but some consolation for roglic after the disappointment of the end of the tour.

Hirschi was about to win the double. He was taking that sprint and Alaphilippe knew it. Really poor.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:04 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Thomas broke his hip. And did 150 km with it including a 17 km ascent of mount etna (admittedly a slow ascent). He is a tough MF. 

Fucking cyclists aren't human

4 minutes ago, lmanion said:

So kruiswijk is out with covid and so is Matthews and mitchelton-scott have withdrawn their entire team. What are the odds of this giro making it to the finish I wonder

Not good. That's at least 7 people who have been in the peleton breathing really hard all over each other. 

35 km TT will shake it up a bit. Then some insane mountain stages, and a final day 15 km  TT, cracking final week. Almeida was strong in first TT, but this is a lot longer, apparently it will be the longest one he has ever ridden

Kelderman to do best out of the other GC riders, Ganna to take the win.

It is also Flanders this weekend, and the Vuelta starts on Tuesday. Busy busy week.

I hope Froome can ride into form and go for a mountain stage. He looked dogshit today, whatever you think of him his last tour in a sky/ineos Jersey shouldnt be a slow and painful journey round spain with no results.

It's probably between Carapaz and Roglic for vuelta. Maybe Mas. 

Archived