Cycling - 2022 the remco show

BigFatCoward

Interesting to see if Roglic can hold his form throughout the race so soon after the tour and he's done some big one day races in between the grand tours.

It was a bit sad to see Froome going backwards like that. The injury he suffered last year is basically a career ender apparently very similar to schlek and beloki. That's from what hincapie was saying on the move podcast and he's still pretty well connected with the big teams. For what Froome has achieved for that team I hope he can find something later on in the vuelta so it isn't just coverage of him going out the back of what was a pretty big group for three weeks

The giro really kicks off tonight 3 big mountain stages and then a TT on the last day. Kelderman looked good before the rest day and sunweb look to have a very strong team. Not sure Almeida can hang on to pink much longer. Nibali is going to try something big on one or two of these stages to try and pull off a repeat of 2016.

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Nothing day at the giro. And saturday looks like it will have to be cancelled/route changed due to not being allowed to go into france. Hope they replace with something at least semi comparable. 

Is that just an Italian thing, or will it also apply to the Vuelta's stage up the Tourmalet?

The young Brits seem to be doing quite well - obviously Tao 1 second off the podium, but James Knox has quietly got himself in the top 20 at the Giro, and Carthy’s been in the top group both days in Spain.

14 hours ago, Maltaran said:

The young Brits seem to be doing quite well - obviously Tao 1 second off the podium, but James Knox has quietly got himself in the top 20 at the Giro, and Carthy’s been in the top group both days in Spain.

Whereas I could probably keep up with Froome.

Stelvio is about to start. I hope Nibali throws caution to the wind, he already has an absurd amount of podiums, one more makes no difference to his legacy. Win or bust. 

It's amazing to see after only 2 stages that the vuelta is pretty much out of the top 5 or 6 in current standings for the overall. 

If you like cycling, and you didn't watch the giro today, you are going to kick yourself. Top 3 now within seconds of each other. End of an era for Nibali, Almeida went out on his shield, Dennis was a monster, Hart and Hindley cagey with each other, kelderman hung on by his fingertips. 

1 hour ago, Denvek said:

I've been looking at the articles for today, but none of them explain why Hindley has the jersey over Geoghegan Hart?

I believe it’s by fractions of a second based on the time trials

Fairly easy win in the end. So currently ineos has 5 grand tour winners in last 2.5 years, and last 2 world TT champions. Not great for the sport to have so many top riders in the same team. Though obviously froome is off now. 

Very interesting Vuelta so far. Roglic Carapaz look like the two most likely to win but Dan Martin is in there and so is Carthy.

I could see Wout Poels finishing top 5.

Great revelation by Hart in the Giro. He should be a teamleader for next year , this sudden surprise has massively raised his status.

6 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Very interesting Vuelta so far. Roglic Carapaz look like the two most likely to win but Dan Martin is in there and so is Carthy.

I could see Wout Poels finishing top 5.

Great revelation by Hart in the Giro. He should be a teamleader for next year , this sudden surprise has massively raised his status.

Roglic chipping away at the lead, Carapaz realistically has tomorrow and sunday to find at least a minute before the TT, probably needs more. The climb on the penultimate stage is not big enough to rely upon. 

WRT team leadership next year at Ineos, the TDF route is umrumoured to be TT heavy, Thomas has to go along with Bernal I'd assume. Which gives TGH and Carapaz for the Giro, and whoever fancies it going to the vuelta. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Roglic chipping away at the lead, Carapaz realistically has tomorrow and sunday to find at least a minute before the TT, probably needs more. The climb on the penultimate stage is not big enough to rely upon. 

WRT team leadership next year at Ineos, the TDF route is umrumoured to be TT heavy, Thomas has to go along with Bernal I'd assume. Which gives TGH and Carapaz for the Giro, and whoever fancies it going to the vuelta. 

With regards to thie Vuelta, the problem for the tension seems to be that Roglic has looked much better than the competion the last few days, jhe's been beating Carapaz uphill even. And Carapax today looked worn out, not a good sign.

With regards to Ineos next year...can they still rely on Thomas to be a co-teamleader at that age is a questionmark, plus Bernal is in a recovery process now, hopefully he will be back to his old shape again next year.

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

Ineos has a Yates next year, right? But I can’t remember which one.

Adam, Simon is sticking with Mitchelton after what has been a completely empty year for him. Still a super talented guy, Simon, I assume he bounces back next year. I think Adam is going to be forced into domestique role at Ineos.

Ones will be really ridiculous next year. TGH, Bernal, Thomas, Carapaz, Dennis, Yates, Porte. I believe they also signed a young guy from cyclo-cross who is extremely highly rated, plus their usual array of domestiques.

2 great looking stages this weekend especially can't wait for the angliru tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, lmanion said:

I believe they also signed a young guy from cyclo-cross who is extremely highly rated,

Tom Pidcock - as well as cyclo-cross, he was also world junior time trial champion a few years ago and third in the U23 road race last year.

Nothing between the top 4 but Roglic is the best time trialist by far, so unless he has a tour style meltdown he should still take this as the one remaining mountain stage is a bit pathetic. 

Angliru is an insane mountain, good to watch but if the best cyclists in the world climb it at snails pace, imagine what it would do to more mortals. 

Yeah that was an epic climb it's a bit of a shame jumbo are so strong because it would have been great to see a fight from a couple of km further out for some bigger gaps.

I put 2 bucks on Carthy at the start of the race when I saw him at 376-1 odds. Now I'm wondering if I should see how the TT goes or take the 90 bucks cashout offer.

Tour de France 21 route has been released stage 11 will be interesting although going up ventoux twice and not finishing up there is a bit of a downer. The Pyrenees in the last week looks good and finally getting some more itt KMs might force the climbers to take some more risks to make time on guys who are really good in the TT.

• 2 weeks later...

Groenewegen has been given a 9 month ban for his crash with Jacobsen. It expires the day before the Giro starts, although I think it unlikely the team would send him into a Grand Tour without any previous races.

Archived