Cycling - 2022 the remco show

BigFatCoward

Disappointing that they chose to finish these stages with a downhill if they had of finished on top of the climbs the GC would be a fair bit different I think. Pogacar is great and had a really good attitude to losing time in the crosswinds. 

It's going to be fun watching these young guys for the next few years, van alert, pogacar, vander poel, evenpoel, Bernal just to name a few of these exciting talented guys that look like they belong and already winning big races

1 hour ago, lmanion said:

Disappointing that they chose to finish these stages with a downhill if they had of finished on top of the climbs the GC would be a fair bit different I think. Pogacar is great and had a really good attitude to losing time in the crosswinds. 

I actually find this quite interesting, as it showcases both climbing and descending abilities, particularly with Peters' victory the other day.

Yet another reason why I'd never finish a Grand Tour: the other day I got terribly nervous on a fairly harmless descent during a little cycling excursion where my speed probably never exceeded half of what those guys are doing (though to be fair, I had to share the road with normal traffic and became acutely aware early on that I need new brakes).

Anyway, harsh for Hirschi to be caught 2km from the finish line after such a ride and then not quite clinching it in the final sprint.

He needed to accept he was getting caught 1 or even 2km earlier than he did, a little more recuperation time and he'd have had the legs to sustain the sprint the extra 20m. But he's 22 so I'm not surprised he didn't do that lol.

4 hours ago, Jon AS said:

I actually find this quite interesting, as it showcases both climbing and descending abilities, particularly with Peters' victory the other day.

Yet another reason why I'd never finish a Grand Tour: the other day I got terribly nervous on a fairly harmless descent during a little cycling excursion where my speed probably never exceeded half of what those guys are doing (though to be fair, I had to share the road with normal traffic and became acutely aware early on that I need new brakes).

Anyway, harsh for Hirschi to be caught 2km from the finish line after such a ride and then not quite clinching it in the final sprint.

I've no problem with descent finishes, it showcases all abilities. Andy Schleck for example was dreadful going downhill. However I'd rather they finished at the bottom of the mountain than after another 10-20k.  

I'm not 100% sure Bernal is out of it, but he needs to take some serious time in the high mountains. And if he is meant to be riding into form for week 3 he needs to do it by sunday.  The Colombians may work together to try and do something. But really its Roglic's to lose now. 

Pogacar is immense.  

Yeah it's going to take pretty major changes in form from both Roglic & Pogacar (in the negative) and someone else (in the positive) for it to be anyone other than Roglic or Pogacar taking the yellow. I'm not convinced it's definitely R over P though, but he definitely has the better team support.

How are they both at time trials?

I'm hoping the fall didn't hurt Quintana too much, I've always felt he performs better in the Alps and normally has lost more time than this at this point so he's another potential for riding into better form. Outside chance at best though, but at least he didn't lose a minute in the cross wind like he always did at Movistar.

23 hours ago, karaddin said:

Yeah it's going to take pretty major changes in form from both Roglic & Pogacar (in the negative) and someone else (in the positive) for it to be anyone other than Roglic or Pogacar taking the yellow. I'm not convinced it's definitely R over P though, but he definitely has the better team support.

How are they both at time trials?

I'm hoping the fall didn't hurt Quintana too much, I've always felt he performs better in the Alps and normally has lost more time than this at this point so he's another potential for riding into better form. Outside chance at best though, but at least he didn't lose a minute in the cross wind like he always did at Movistar.

Roglic is a world class time thrillist. Though I recall pogacar beat him at slovenian champs, no idea where they both were in form though. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Watching Bora light the race up has been quite fun normally we might have had a few more 'boring' stages but Sagan despite not being on top form is still having a big crack at catching Bennett back up for the green jersey. Can't wait for some more high mountain stages. Always find it interesting the time losses in cross winds are equivalent to 3-4 good days taking time in the mountains.

The lack of the usual Sky/Ineos domination of the Peloton and the Sagan domination of Green has really livened things up, I think I'm enjoying this the most of all the tours since I've been watching. The finish last night with the constant attacks from different riders and teams was fantastic.

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

So the only chance a slovenian doesn't win is if they cant handle the altitude on the climb to meribel. But they have both looked fantastic so far. 

Something clearly not right with Bernal. He should wrap it in and go to the vuelta.

Yeah he'd been looking uncertain but not even close to as bad as when he cracked last night. I think I also heard the Aus commentators saying that when Quintana had his crash he fell in stinging nettles which is a really unpleasant lemon juice on top of whatever other injuries he sustained.

I've got hope for Porte to slot in at #3 behind the 2 Slovenians.

Today is the day to make a difference. 2 huge climbs back to back. The final climb finishes at altitude so some of the colombians might fancy their chances, and the final 5km is over 10% so Roglics strong team wont be much of a help. Pogacar to go insane and win by about a minute, setting up the final TT nicely. I still think Roglic is the favourite. Hoping Richie Porte has a good day and makes the podium. 

Cunts without masks screaming in the cyclists faces. Superman Lopez taking advantage of the altitude. Cracking stage, great and brutal MTF. 

Also carapaz was a legend today, totally wasted, he should have been defending his giro, instead he was babysitting someone who wasnt fit. He should be riding himself into form for the vuelta though, since froome is unlikely to do fuck all. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

That was an awesome finish. Although a shame for Porte that Lopez was able to put an extra minute on him. If it was a flat time trial I would think he could make that time back but the way Lopez is climbing I can't see it. 

Pogacar and Lopez might try something tonight but I think roglic should be able to hang on to yellow to the finish without something out of the ordinary happening.

Sagan has thrown everything he could at Bennett but looks like coming up short unless he can drop him early on this stage and then ride in the breakaway to the finish. It has really made the starts to the stages even more frantic. The sprinters are doing a great job making the time cuts so far especially on yesterday's stage.

Yeah I was worried some of them were going to crack on the mountain last night and miss the cut off, they definitely did well. I was surprised to see Lopez is actually closer to Pogacar than Pogacar is to Roglic, so his 2nd place isn't even guaranteed if Lopez can back it up today.

I don't think the altitude will hurt as much tonight plus there is 30km from the top of the climb to the finish. Pogacar is also the TT champ of Slovenia so I think he has Lopez covered and if Lopez is going to finish higher he needs to try something big in the next stage.

Oh yeah I wouldn't bet against Pogacar, I just was surprised to find the time gap between them as low as it is. It seems like everyone in contention is also a pretty decent timetrialer? No Schleck around to throw their tour away on the last day lol

Have we had any info on why Bernal needed to withdraw? Was it just not having the legs at the moment and pulling out to prepare for another race or injury/illness?

37 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Have we had any info on why Bernal needed to withdraw? Was it just not having the legs at the moment and pulling out to prepare for another race or injury/illness?

Bernal came into the Tour with a back injury, so it may be that he's just not up to full fitness and it might be bothering him. Once he was no longer in contention, no need to keep going I guess.