Cycling - 2022 the remco show

BigFatCoward

It was cool to see Pogacar in white and Vingegaard in yellow duelling up the Alpe d' Huez.

Quite majestic. These 2 are so well matched. Pogacar clearly having a bad day yesterday, apparently because of insufficient eating and drinking and perhaps also overconfidence, like why did he react again and again yesterday to Roglic accelerating when he really didnt need to.

Thomas, Bardet, Yates, Gaudu , Mas will fight for that 3rd spot. Thomas looking solid but clearly cannot keep up with no. 1 and 2.

53 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Thomas, Bardet, Yates, Gaudu , Mas will fight for that 3rd spot. Thomas looking solid but clearly cannot keep up with no. 1 and 2.

Thomas in this form takes at least a minute on all those mentioned in the TT, maybe 2 on Bardet and Gaudu.

He can't match their accelerations but he diesel's away nicely. 

I think Pogacar was worried about letting Roglic go up the road because he had the Van Aert rail company waiting up the road. Very unusual to see one of the top guys have a hunger flat with how good the teams are on nutrition these days. Jumbo look incredibly strong in comparison to UAE and you wonder where Pogacar can find the time back. Maybe the pyranees will suit him better but Vingegaard has to sit on his wheel.

Great to see Froome at the head of a Tour stage in the mountains after everything he's been through. I think we see him go for another mountain stage before the end. 

Pidcock was awesome to watch going downhill off the Galibier especially and winning on alpe d'huez is pretty huge.

Pretty much last chance saloon. Vingegaard has hardly any team left, a very mountainous route and Pog has been battering him for days. He has to just keep attacking until either Vingegaard breaks or he does.

He might as well finish 10th as 2nd. Waiting until the final climb and getting 45 seconds back isn't going to cut it, JV is a superb TT rider. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Vingegaard certainly won me over waiting for Pogacar like that. Best climber this year and well and truly worthy. Must feel fantastic to win the last mountain stage in yellow 

Be interested to see if Hindley can make the step up next year.

I expect Pog to sack off all the classics and fully prep for the tour, hopefully with a stronger team.

And it would be nice if Bernal can get back to top form to make it interesting. 

On 7/21/2022 at 6:53 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Be interested to see if Hindley can make the step up next year.

I expect Pog to sack off all the classics and fully prep for the tour, hopefully with a stronger team.

And it would be nice if Bernal can get back to top form to make it interesting. 

Bernal's return would make this even more interesting. Hindley indeed, you wonder if they will dare use him for the Tour next year. He's very capable clearly. I'd also like to see a sincere Tour effort from Simon Yates for once.

I am not sure that Pogacar will forego on all the Classics really, he only does a few as it is, but the focus will be on the Tour for sure. What broke him down this year is that one stage last week where he suddenly crumbled and after that it costs a huge amount of energy to always be the attacker. Every day he had to be the one to initiate and thats a big burden that he would not normally have.

22 hours ago, lmanion said:

Pogacar was supposedly going to do the giro-tour double up next year, will be interesting to see if he refocuses on just the tour now after losing this year, assuming of course the TT goes as normally as possible.

Yeah I dont see him doing a double next year after this Tour. The margins between these 2 are very tight and no one who did the Giro this year and then did the Tour had a good Tour ( I am thinking Van der Poel, Mollema).

9 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Bernal's return would make this even more interesting. Hindley indeed, you wonder if they will dare use him for the Tour next year. He's very capable clearly. I'd also like to see a sincere Tour effort from Simon Yates for once.

I am not sure that Pogacar will forego on all the Classics really, he only does a few as it is, but the focus will be on the Tour for sure. What broke him down this year is that one stage last week where he suddenly crumbled and after that it costs a huge amount of energy to always be the attacker. Every day he had to be the one to initiate and thats a big burden that he would not normally have.

Yeah I dont see him doing a double next year after this Tour. The margins between these 2 are very tight and no one who did the Giro this year and then did the Tour had a good Tour ( I am thinking Van der Poel, Mollema).

Bardet? Although he did quit the Giro early.

17 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Bardet? Although he did quit the Giro early.

And still collapsed in 3rd week. If you are going to double up you go giro-vuelta or tour-vuelta. That way the most important race is always first so if you are wrecked for for second race it's not as important. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

• 1 month later...

First mountain top finish. Most of the big guns are within touching distance of each other. Roglic doing very well with a very strong team but we won't know for certain about his condition until last week, that's when any prep problems might show themselves, alternately he may ride his way into form if nobody tests him early. 

He already has a nice buffer and is a superb TT rider so everyone has to take it to him often, they can't outsprint him so he will pick up loads of bonus seconds. There are limited high mountain stages with 3-5 climbs, which I think rules Hindley out, he is far more suited to the typical Giro route.

Total guesswork but I'll say

1. Roglic 2. Yates 3. Carapaz

Though if Evenepoel wins by 5 mins I wouldn't be hugely surprised. He'll either win or lose 15 mins on one stage. 

Edited by BigFatCoward