Cycling - 2022 the remco show

BigFatCoward

Yeah Van Aert is a hell of a rider, jumbo really salvaged their tour after all the crashes early on. Van Aert winning 3 of the signature stages of the year, kuss getting a win and Vingegaard finishing best of the rest behind Pogacar. Van Aert will be a serious favourite for both the TT and road race at the Olympics.

Disappointed Cav couldn't take the record on his own, I hope I'm wrong but can't see him getting a win next year with all the big sprinters in the tour and another year in his legs. It's still the story of this year in all the sport I follow that Cav managed to not only win again but make it into the tour and win 4 stages equalling merckx and taking home the green jersey after being in the situation he was at the end of last year.

Pogacar winning with as much ease as he did meant he was kind of an after thought for the final few days but I'm not sure who beats him in the tour in the coming years. You would think he only gets better over the next few years given he is still eligible for the young riders classification for a couple of years.

• 4 weeks later...

Roglic v Bernal.  Carapaz probably too tired. Really looking forward to watching Pidcock in his first grand tour. 

Lots of usual suspects for top 5 or the podium but I really cant see beyond the 2 favourites.

I'm hoping landa and Padun go insane in the mountains. Bahrain have a very strong team. 

9 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Is Carapaz going to copy van Avermaet and have a gold helmet? That’s the important question 

I know the UCI are dead set against anything on the cyclists jerseys to denote they are Olympic champion.

Edit, he has got a golden helmet, and for reasons I can't fathom a bronze bike. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

On 8/12/2021 at 12:45 PM, BigFatCoward said:

I know the UCI are dead set against anything on the cyclists jerseys to denote they are Olympic champion.

Edit, he has got a golden helmet, and for reasons I can't fathom a bronze bike. 

I noticed Roglic had a gold helmet in the TT as well

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, lmanion said:

Anyone see the end of milan-san remo? Mohoric is a mad man downhill. The speed up the pogio was crazy with pogacar trying to get away but Mohoric looked like he had enabled cheat codes for the descent. 

It helped that the motor bikes paced him, but that was very impressive.

Are there any races this year that Slovenians aren't going to win? 

10 hours ago, lmanion said:

Anyone see the end of milan-san remo? Mohoric is a mad man downhill. The speed up the pogio was crazy with pogacar trying to get away but Mohoric looked like he had enabled cheat codes for the descent. 

I was mostly impresssed with Mathieu van der Poel finishing 3rd and being superb on the Poggio considering he hadnt raced since October and had only started training in February. He wasnt even scheduled to start here until Thursday when he was called in as a replacement and looked outstanding.

Biniam Girmay is going to be a big name in pro cycling was really good at E3 and then won gent-wevelgem. Cool to see a guy that I had on pro cycling manager last year show up and win in real life at 21.

Van aert looks in great form and jumbo visma are spoiled for choice in the classics atm 1-2 at E3 and 1-2-3 at Paris nice in the opening stage and in the TT.

On 3/31/2022 at 11:57 AM, BigFatCoward said:

WvA and MVdP are clear favourites with Wout having a huge advantage in team strength. 

Pidcock, Pogacar and Asgren probably best chance of beating them. 

Agreed, with Pedersen and Kragh Andersen as dangerous outsiders.

Flanders was a great watch, Pogacar was the strongest with the road going up but MVDP managed to hang with him just enough and then Pogacar kind of rode himself off the podium. Shame Wout was out hopefully he is healthy and ready to go for Roubaix which I think is in 2? weeks

11 hours ago, lmanion said:

Flanders was a great watch, Pogacar was the strongest with the road going up but MVDP managed to hang with him just enough and then Pogacar kind of rode himself off the podium. Shame Wout was out hopefully he is healthy and ready to go for Roubaix which I think is in 2? weeks

He needs to stop being the strongest (he also was at Milan San Remo) and start winning. 

However he is very young and tactics will come. It doesn't matter so much over 3 weeks where being the strongest is normally enough. 

I hope Wout is back for roubaix but covid can knock you for a while.