Jump to content
BigFatCoward

Cycling - La Vuelta - last chance saloon for the b list.

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Landa definitely needs to go, if he is carrying form from the Giro, as he is likely to suffer in the 3rd week.  if by the 'French guy' you mean Pinot, I don't think he would get the licence to do anything, especially after the far better than expected TTT that FDJ did.

I meant bardet. He needs to win a lot of time because of the TT and should have some liberty. 

Besides those 2 there must be other guys that aren t favorites and that should use the opportunity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I mean people also get run over by the caravan etc as well, but the question seemed to be how dangerous was it for the cyclists.  2 deaths in 106 years doesn't seem that bad to me. 

Also, almost every injury to a pedestrian I've seen was predominantly their fault due to running out into the road, standing in wrong place etc.

At least 10 ciclists break bones in each grand tours that put them out of the competition for months. 

Compared to most sports it looks dangerous... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, divica said:

At least 10 ciclists break bones in each grand tours that put them out of the competition for months. 

Compared to most sports it looks dangerous... 

 I reckon there are about 15000+ hours cycled in the average TDF, 10 broken bones doesn't seem a lot.  I haven't played football for 15000 in my life but I've certainly had more than 10 comparable injuries.

for context there are 252 games in an NFL season, so 5544 hours of player competition, how many injuries do you think they have?

Edited by BigFatCoward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m legit shocked by that. I realize in hindsight that I was an idiot to call cricket a niche sport, but cycling being a top sport?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I thought the stage has been relatively quiet until the final kilometres. Landa does make a move, though late enough that it won't make a huge difference in the GC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeey! 717 years after the Flemish won against the French at the Battle of the Gulden Spurs, a Flemish won a part of Tour de France!

Something which makes this hideous (National) Day of Flanders better because it really sucked thanks to the fact the Speaker of the Flemish Parliament had to resign because it was reported he committed fraud in order to pay his escort girl :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If GT is in this form on a stage that doesn't suit him everyone else is in trouble. He puts 1minute into most of his GC rivals in the TT, tough to see him losing that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GT looking like a massive favorite right now yeah.

Pinot and Bernal to finish on the stage with him IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

FFS Pinot, what you doing losing the Tour on a flat stage?  It was set up beautifully for you (I still think Thomas would have won anyway, or if not Bernal, but I'd love to have seen Pinot win).

Porte, Landa, Uran, Fuglsang the other biggest losers. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that is a huge blow and he knows it from the interviews.

As you said, for once he was in excellent position. It's still not lost, but this is going to be hard to get back.

I still don't like the impression Porte has made so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

FFS Pinot, what you doing losing the Tour on a flat stage?  It was set up beautifully for you (I still think Thomas would have won anyway, or if not Bernal, but I'd love to have seen Pinot win).

Porte, Landa, Uran, Fuglsang the other biggest losers. 

who stand in eneos way now? krujwick (whatever his name his) and mas? Even quintana is already 1 min behind… Unless one of the contenders is in super shape eneos has nearly won the tour...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Yates is the closest GC aspirant at 35 seconds? That's a long shot though and if Quintana has any form he's probably the better chance despite being twice as far behind.

Each year of the tour that goes by I'm more convinced that Quintana needs to change teams - something just isn't clicking with Movistar for him. Several times in previous tours he's stuck with his team and been caught out by moves like last nights, this year he's learnt and was up the front away from the team making sure he didn't get caught out and instead Pinot, Fuglsang and Porte find themselves in that position. Where was the rest of Movistar? I didn't notice last night, but Landa was in the super caught out group - I think Quintana did have some support pushing that front group though? They just weren't around him when the split hapened iirc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I think Yates is the closest GC aspirant at 35 seconds? That's a long shot though and if Quintana has any form he's probably the better chance despite being twice as far behind.

Each year of the tour that goes by I'm more convinced that Quintana needs to change teams - something just isn't clicking with Movistar for him. Several times in previous tours he's stuck with his team and been caught out by moves like last nights, this year he's learnt and was up the front away from the team making sure he didn't get caught out and instead Pinot, Fuglsang and Porte find themselves in that position. Where was the rest of Movistar? I didn't notice last night, but Landa was in the super caught out group - I think Quintana did have some support pushing that front group though? They just weren't around him when the split hapened iirc.

Movistar is a mess. 

Landa was caught in one of the last groups. Movistar was in the first working to expand the lead and when they saw that the other contenders weren t going to catch up they decided to send the team back to help Landa but it was too late ... The guy lost more than 2 mins...

Honestly, it would have been better if they helped to expand the time between quintana's group and the other contenders until the final or helped Landa since the beginning. What they did was just a mess. 

 

PS wasn t Yates also in the late groups? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, divica said:

Movistar is a mess. 

Landa was caught in one of the last groups. Movistar was in the first working to expand the lead and when they saw that the other contenders weren t going to catch up they decided to send the team back to help Landa but it was too late ... The guy lost more than 2 mins...

Honestly, it would have been better if they helped to expand the time between quintana's group and the other contenders until the final or helped Landa since the beginning. What they did was just a mess. 

 

PS wasn t Yates also in the late groups? 

 

Nope, I was checking the standings as I posted - maybe that was Simon? Thomas is in 2nd at +1:12 from Alaphilippe, Adam Yates is 7th at +1:47 so only 35 seconds behind Thomas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, divica said:

who stand in eneos way now? krujwick (whatever his name his) and mas? Even quintana is already 1 min behind… Unless one of the contenders is in super shape eneos has nearly won the tour...

No one really. Kruijswijk isn't really going to contend.

Pinot looks like the best shot. Perhaps Alaphilippe and Mas will surprise.

From the rest, Porte looks to be in mediocre shape. Uran is a follower. Bardet is in terrible shape and he knows it. Landa is two minutes down now because Barguil made him crash yesterday. Quintana will challenge for the podium at best but does not really challenge a Geraint Thomas. Adam Yates looks like he is at Quintana level.

@ Karaddin: I don't personally think it's the team that is the problem for Quintana, this is just his ceiling,

Edited by Calibandar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

No one really. Kruijswijk isn't really going to contend.

Pinot looks like the best shot. Perhaps Alaphilippe and Mas will surprise.

From the rest, Porte looks to be in mediocre shape. Uran is a follower. Bardet is in terrible shape and he knows it. Landa is two minutes down now because Barguil made him crash yesterday. Quintana will challenge for the podium at best but does not really challenge a Geraint Thomas. Adam Yates looks like he is at Quintana level.

@ Karaddin: I don't personally think it's the team that is the problem for Quintana, this is just his ceiling,

Mas, Yates, quintana and Kruijswijk might have a shot but they need to be in a much better shape than the guys from eneos and win 2 min in the mountains... 

I really think that after the first stage with mountains the tour will be decided... 

And pinot seems to have lost too much time to be a serious contender for the yellow jersey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, divica said:

Mas, Yates, quintana and Kruijswijk might have a shot but they need to be in a much better shape than the guys from eneos and win 2 min in the mountains... 

I really think that after the first stage with mountains the tour will be decided... 

And pinot seems to have lost too much time to be a serious contender for the yellow jersey. 

If, as expected GT puts 1 minute + into all his remaining rivals in the TT then barring sickness or a crash it's over. Kruiswijk might still be within a minute and if he has his 2016 giro form he has a small outside chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Froome retrospectively awarded 2011 vuelta, now a 7 time grand tour winner joining some of the all time greats. 

Today is a waste of a stage, 30km from final mountain to the finish. 

Edited by BigFatCoward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah there isn't likely to be a big shakeup most of the gc guys will be conserving energy for the next 3 days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know anything about Rohan Dennis?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×