US Politics: RIP EHK FYVM GOP

DanteGabriel

We're almost to the 10th anniversary of the death of a beloved Board member, Enlightenment HK, or EHK. The old tribute thread seems to be gone, and I thought the best tribute to him might be a US Politics thread named after him. (Edit: I got the date wrong and I feel like a jackass, it was July 4, 2009 after all, so I have edited the post appropriately)

He was a righteous ranter, a keen intellect, and I can only imagine what kind of molten words he would have for the current state of the Republican Party Trump Cult.  There are still those of us here who remember him, so on July 4, I will have a drink of strong brown liquor in tribute to a lost friend.

Bah you musta beat me by a few seconds.  Feel free to delete mine mods.  Anyway, wanted to mention the DOJ officially dropping the citizenship question:

On Thursday, after a 15-month legal battle, officials from the Department of Justice informed opposing counsel in the census case that the Trump administration would be printing the census without a controversial question about respondents’ citizenship.

“We can confirm that the decision has been made to print the 2020 Decennial Census questionnaire without a citizenship question, and that the printer has been instructed to begin the printing process,” DOJ attorney Kate Bailey informed opposing counsel in the census litigation.

29 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

We're almost to the 11th anniversary of the death of a beloved Board member, Enlightenment HK, or EHK. The old tribute thread seems to be gone, and I thought the best tribute to him might be a US Politics thread named after him. He apparently died, logged on to the board, around the time the Republican Party was getting ready to nominate Sarah Palin to be VP. 

He was a righteous ranter, a keen intellect, and I can only imagine what kind of molten words he would have for the current state of the Republican Party Trump Cult.  There are still those of us here who remember him, so on July 3, I will have a drink of strong brown liquor in tribute to a lost friend.

He is missed.  He would have torn Trump a good one.

28 minutes ago, DMC said:

Bah you musta beat me by a few seconds.  Feel free to delete mine mods.  Anyway, wanted to mention the DOJ officially dropping the citizenship question:

Just by viewing the social media around this, it seems like a public defeat for the world's most bloated yet empty ego, so I expect he'll do something to hurt someone. Hopefully he keeps it internal and he cans Bolton or sends Ted Cruz out to get him some McDonald's.

25 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Just by viewing the social media around this, it seems like a public defeat for the world's most bloated yet empty ego, so I expect he'll do something to hurt someone. Hopefully he keeps it internal and he cans Bolton or sends Ted Cruz out to get him some McDonald's.

That's sick! Not even Donald would make Ted Cruz get him McDonald's. He would never allow something so greasy, ill-concieved, impossible to digest, amorphous, hard to look at, and wholly unsatisfying to get his Miccy-D's.

Not exactly US politics, other than Trump getting all flustered and looking like a douche about it, but I'm loving Megan Rapinoe so much right now.  The women's wc final will probabaly be the first professional sports event I've watched since like 2013.  Think I'll even buy a jersey.  Sue Bird's world cup write up was also fantastic.

32 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That's sick! Not even Donald would make Ted Cruz get him McDonald's. He would never allow something so greasy, ill-concieved, impossible to digest, amorphous, hard to look at, and wholly unsatisfying to get his Miccy-D's.

Chris Christie used to be the McDonald's errand boy.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I like McDonald's, but now you have turned it into something weird.

Trump taps gold proponent Shelton, economist Waller to Fed board

President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he intends to nominate Judy Shelton, a prominent supporter of returning to the gold standard, and St. Louis Federal Reserve economist Christopher Waller to the U.S. central bank’s board.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/02/trump-goldbug-shelton-economist-waller-fed-board-1568394

4 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

We're almost to the 11th anniversary of the death of a beloved Board member, Enlightenment HK, or EHK. The old tribute thread seems to be gone

I was only thinking about him a few days ago and didn't realise the anniversary was coming up. Hard to believe its been so long.

Fuck this maudlin bullshit, he'd want to go out, yell a lot, get shitfaced, smoke some weed and try to molest a vending machine for munchies and/or smokes. 

Anyway. 

So what the hell happened to Sanders? I don't get why his support has just kind of eroded away like this. Iowa is going to be really, really weird.

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1146245768984088576

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

So what the hell happened to Sanders? I don't get why his support has just kind of eroded away like this. Iowa is going to be really, really weird.

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1146245768984088576

Jace would hazard that when other, actually viable, candidates are available he suddenly looks like the crazy old man with insufficient Democratic cache that he's always been.

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Jace would hazard that when other, actually viable, candidates are available he suddenly looks like the crazy old man with insufficient Democratic cache that he's always been.

Yeah, might be. It's interesting in that it's both a very big repudiation of Clinton AND a repudiation of Sanders all in one. It's also probably the case that many of his revolutionary ideas that were not mainstream are very much part of the regular discourse and are considered pretty 'normal' in dem circles now, so he isn't quite so unique in that regard. 

Still I would have expected more loyalty from some of his base. As it stands, he was outfunded by Buttigieg last quarter (seriously?) and his poll numbers are dropping all over the place, and it just seems weird. Biden's too, mind you. 

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Putin pulled the plug?

Heh, but probably not. I think it's more likely that Sanders was basically a combination of the people who wanted anyone but Clinton and some of the people who wanted a True Progressive. Now that Clinton is gone and there are candidates like Warren in the mix, that has dissipated.

Meanwhile, Biden's massive lead among AA voters has basically been obliterated. As the article reads, it's just one poll, but Biden went from a 31% lead over the next best person from AA voters to a 4% lead. 

The other interesting thing from that poll is that Harris is good (not great, but good) with a whole spectrum of dem voters - liberals, moderates, and conservatives, women (who she now leads), AA. From 538's articles about the supposed 5 factors of the Dem party this is a really good sign for her. Having strong AA support is key to winning the South, and having general support like that is important for places like Iowa and New Hampshire. 

I suspect we'll know more in a couple weeks after we get more polls, but this might have been the most influential debate in decades. 

5 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

We're almost to the 11th anniversary of the death of a beloved Board member, Enlightenment HK, or EHK. The old tribute thread seems to be gone, and I thought the best tribute to him might be a US Politics thread named after him. He apparently died, logged on to the board, around the time the Republican Party was getting ready to nominate Sarah Palin to be VP. 

He was a righteous ranter, a keen intellect, and I can only imagine what kind of molten words he would have for the current state of the Republican Party Trump Cult.  There are still those of us here who remember him, so on July 3, I will have a drink of strong brown liquor in tribute to a lost friend.

Wait, he died on my birthday? I didn't know that at the time. Though technically not on my birthday as I experienced it, because it was probably the 4th here. So I will toast his memory on the 4th of July from across the other side of the dateline.

Damn I miss EHK. The lack of epic rants against Trump has truly been a loss to the world. 

On the debates and polling, I can't help but think most of the changes may be due to recognition. People knew who Biden was, so when asked picked him. Now that the other candidates have presented themselves, more people choose one of them. 

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Heh, but probably not. I think it's more likely that Sanders was basically a combination of the people who wanted anyone but Clinton and some of the people who wanted a True Progressive. Now that Clinton is gone and there are candidates like Warren in the mix, that has dissipated.

Meanwhile, Biden's massive lead among AA voters has basically been obliterated. As the article reads, it's just one poll, but Biden went from a 31% lead over the next best person from AA voters to a 4% lead. 

The other interesting thing from that poll is that Harris is good (not great, but good) with a whole spectrum of dem voters - liberals, moderates, and conservatives, women (who she now leads), AA. From 538's articles about the supposed 5 factors of the Dem party this is a really good sign for her. Having strong AA support is key to winning the South, and having general support like that is important for places like Iowa and New Hampshire. 

I suspect we'll know more in a couple weeks after we get more polls, but this might have been the most influential debate in decades. 

I assumed from your language i had an idea what I was about to look at, but goddamn man I think 'obliterated' is the understatement of the year. Biden's numbers are falling out of the sky faster than a Boeing aircraft.

5 minutes ago, Erik of Hazelfield said:

Damn I miss EHK. The lack of epic rants against Trump has truly been a loss to the world. 

On the debates and polling, I can't help but think most of the changes may be due to recognition. People knew who Biden was, so when asked picked him. Now that the other candidates have presented themselves, more people choose one of them. 

I may have, happily, misjudged a fair few of the Dem nominees. The assclowns aside, there's an impressive array of characters at work. Even Tulsi Gabbard of all people came across as viable. She's not, of course, and I'd be apoplectic if she won the nomination but the fact that she came across as viable is encouraging.

I was expecting a stage full of Betos to drown out the likes of Harris and Booker.

Iran says it will increase uranium enhancement

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/03/iran-uranium-enhancement-increase-1396652

Iran will begin enhancing its enrichment of uranium this weekend, President Hassan Rouhani warned Wednesday — signaling Tehran’s latest rejection of the 2015 multinational pact meant to curb the Islamic Republic’s nuclear ambitions.

Rouhani said Iran will “take the next step” on Sunday to increase uranium enhancement to “any amount that we want,” adding: “If you want to express regret and issue a statement, you can do it now.”

Archived