Jump to content
DanteGabriel

US Politics: RIP EHK FYVM GOP

Recommended Posts

On the immigration and a potential fight on the left:

 

 

Quote

 

The sudden flurry of criticism over Castro’s position, which he first laid out in April, appears to stem more from fear over the politics of embracing decriminalization than the policy itself, said Michael Kagan, an immigration law professor at the University of Nevada Las Vegas. 

People often misunderstand the difference between civil and criminal law, Kagan pointed out ― which makes it easy for critics to make calls for decriminalization look like a rallying cry for open borders.

“A lot of it is political worry,” he said. “But if that’s the case, people should say: ‘I’m worried about the politics of it, not the policy.’” 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Triskele said:

On the immigration and a potential fight on the left:

 

 

 

Funnily enough, open borders just got brought up in my Workable Socialism thread. 

 

Ex-Ethics Chief Spells Out What Donald Trump’s July 4 Bash Was Really All About
Walter Shaub complained that taxpayer dollars had been co-opted “for the benefit of a man whose idea of public service is the public serving him.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ex-ethics-chief-donald-trump-july-4-party_n_5d2097a4e4b01b834737691f

Quote

 

Walter Shaub, the former head of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics, on Friday critically described President Donald Trump’s takeover of the Fourth of July celebrations in Washington as “a taxpayer-funded campaign ad.”

“Your tax dollars coopted for the benefit of a man whose idea of public service is the public serving him,” tweeted Shaub, in response to Trump posting a video summary of the event that cast the president in a glowing light.

 

 

Edited by Martell Spy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

People in the Pacific NW and CA really like their Kaiser medical care system, which is semi private and semi (state) public.  Alas this side of country -- private medical insurance is a nightmare, particularly in NYC, and evidently NY state generally.  Just to find a physician or 'health care' group that takes your insurance is a big, initial obstacle.  

8 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

As for the latter half of the second paragraph, I can't speak for Trisk but I know I've never once in my life expected people in destitute situations to act with virtue. Life is brutal and unfair. I say more power to the unclean masses if/when they're ready to start burning shit. Fuck, I'm ready to roll out the guillotines as soon as the mob finally breaks. 

It won't though. Because people like you are too concerned with feeling morally superior to get your hands dirty. I don't have an issue with this laudable mindset, either. Until it becomes an impediment to achieving our shared aims.

Honey -- I'm the one Kal, Trisk etc. frequently clutch pearls over for expecting shooting civil war, rebellion (if TVhole loses in 2020 and just for funsies), unstoppable migrations due to climate change, and believing the entire nation and all its corps, institutions and systems are so dysfunctionally corrupt there is no road to 'reform'.  See: Nancy Pelosi just out-and-out telling the younger legislators elected by young voters that no votes at all matter except those she say count, in the Senate.  She did, just out and out tell us we the voters don't matter.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Ex-Ethics Chief Spells Out What Donald Trump’s July 4 Bash Was Really All About
Walter Shaub complained that taxpayer dollars had been co-opted “for the benefit of a man whose idea of public service is the public serving him

Yes. What the purpose of all this was, was to make the most expensive campaign video-film ever, paid for by the tax-payers.  

Edited by Zorral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

People in the Pacific NW and CA really like their Kaiser medical care system, which is semi private and semi (state) public.  Alas this side of country -- private medical insurance is a nightmare, particularly in NYC, and evidently NY state generally.  Just to find a physician or 'health care' group that takes your insurance is a big, initial obstacle.  

Honey -- I'm the one Kal, Trisk etc. frequently clutch pearls over for expecting shooting civil war, rebellion (if TVhole loses in 2020 and just for funsies), unstoppable migrations due to climate change, and believing the entire nation and all its corps, institutions and systems are so dysfunctionally corrupt there is no road to 'reform'.  See: Nancy Pelosi just out-and-out telling the younger legislators elected by young voters that no votes at all matter except those she say count, in the Senate.  She did, just out and out tell us we the voters don't matter.

 

Yeah I know, that's why I was confused... i thought we was gonna be comrades. Lopping off heads and inventing murder sleds was my dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

People in the Pacific NW and CA really like their Kaiser medical care system, which is semi private and semi (state) public.  Alas this side of country -- private medical insurance is a nightmare, particularly in NYC, and evidently NY state generally.  Just to find a physician or 'health care' group that takes your insurance is a big, initial obstacle.  

Honey -- I'm the one Kal, Trisk etc. frequently clutch pearls over for expecting shooting civil war, rebellion (if TVhole loses in 2020 and just for funsies), unstoppable migrations due to climate change, and believing the entire nation and all its corps, institutions and systems are so dysfunctionally corrupt there is no road to 'reform'.  See: Nancy Pelosi just out-and-out telling the younger legislators elected by young voters that no votes at all matter except those she say count, in the Senate.  She did, just out and out tell us we the voters don't matter.

Yes. What the purpose of all this was, was to make the most expensive campaign video-film ever, paid for by the tax-payers.  

I have KP, it's fantastic. The best part though is the cost for my infusions is incredibly low out-of-pocket, just 15$. And it was something fairly similar when I got a colonoscopy as well. The costs were often pretty horrible in past health systems I've been in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Yeah I know, that's why I was confused... i thought we was gonna be comrades. Lopping off heads and inventing murder sleds was my dream.

Jace -- you can trust me in these matters.  Like a politician I never ever lie and my fingers (and toes and tongue)  are bathed in virtue frequently throughout the day (and night).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Jace -- you can trust me in these matters.  Like a politician I never ever lie and my fingers (and toes and tongue)  are bathed in virtue frequently throughout the day (and night).

Every revolution needs a figure of fear in the ranks. I think I can bear this burden if you can act as the moral center around which I warp our newly proclaimed democracy into an oppressive Jacetatorship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we have this! the court document that names both Epstein and Trump as plaintiffs in a case accusing rape and many other sexual abuse crimes.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2921127-Complaint.html

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Every revolution needs a figure of fear in the ranks. I think I can bear this burden if you can act as the moral center around which I warp our newly proclaimed democracy into an oppressive Jacetatorship.

That will work.  Until mine own cabal helps me to remove the final obstacle to all my plans, and Jacetatorship, Dear, Darling, Beloved, Best Compañera Evah, will be history.  Trust me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Here we have this! the court document that names both Epstein and Trump as plaintiffs in a case accusing rape and many other sexual abuse crimes.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2921127-Complaint.html

That will work.  Until mine own cabal helps me to remove the final obstacle to all my plans, and Jacetatorship, Dear, Darling, Beloved, Best Compañera Evah, will be history.  Trust me.

I can't wait for our proxy war in the Halls of Proletarian Commemoration. I think the Obelisk of Kalbear will be an important battle site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Triskele said:

"loss aversion"

 

3 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Yeah, I think you get today's gold star.

I loathe employer sponsored insurance and would like to get rid of it. That said, I don't think it would be politically wise to get rid of it all at once. You're right that most people are pretty risk adverse. They may know the current system sucks, but fear they may end up with something worse.

thanks, makes sense and easy enough to explain. appreciate it fellas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, a good and nice guy said:

thanks, makes sense and easy enough to explain. appreciate it fellas

Dude OGE's quote is essentially what me and larry were saying from the get-go:

17 hours ago, DMC said:

Aye.  I think the public option is the next step, which basically is the least offensive version of "Medicare for All."  The ACA grossly expanded Medicaid, so that would be the logical next step that's politically palatable.  And just like the ACA, I bet after a decade it will be very popular.  Then you can start to phase out private insurance.  But it needs to be a process.  It's understandable that people get worried if you tell them you're gonna take away their health insurance, so it needs to be done delicately.

Although, sure, Trisk is right that risk aversion, or "loss aversion," is an articulate way to describe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, a good and nice guy said:

mind if i ask what you like about your current insurance and what you disliked about medicare? obviously this is all anecdotal but you are the first person i’ve ever heard this from

Medicare is very expensive if someone doesn't have a supplement or isn't dual eligible, 20% adds up quickly if there are any surgeries or hospital stays; the drug plans are pretty terrible; it doesn't cover birth control like IUDs, implants etc and there are millions of non-elderly disabled adults on it so that can be a problem. These are all problems that can be fixed and it's still better than probably most private insurance.

I don't think Medicaid is a good way to bring in a public option, Medicaid is quite restrictive and most doctors don't accept it so it can be difficult to find care, obviously it's better than no insurance, but a lot of private insurance probably is better. Of course Medicaid could be fixed, but it will be harder. Also Medicaid is state administered and I think it would be better for the public option to be federal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dornishpen said:

Also Medicaid is state administered and I think it would be better for the public option to be federal.

Yeah that's a good point, agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I wasn't even looking for this but stumbled upon this piece about the Democratic party's history with the immigration issue that I think a lot of people will find thought-provoking.

I was not aware of the border patrols dumping water left for migrants thing that's linked from the Guardian in there.  That's some cold-blooded stuff.  

Edited by Triskele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, Biden finally apologized for bragging about his "civility" with segregationist Senators. It is, of course, the hedgiest "if you were offended" sort of apology.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/biden-apologizes-comments-segregationists

In the Kabuki theater of political optics, does this even move any needle anywhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I wasn't even looking for this but stumbled upon this piece about the Democratic party's history with the immigration issue that I think a lot of people will find thought-provoking.

I was not aware of the border patrols dumping water left for migrants thing that's linked from the Guardian in there.  That's some cold-blooded stuff.  

Trisk, where were you the other week when I was screaming about Pelosi imminently signing onto this thing? I coulda used your backing, I felt like I was on an island on that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Trisk, where were you the other week when I was screaming about Pelosi imminently signing onto this thing? I coulda used your backing, I felt like I was on an island on that one.

What was your stance?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Triskele said:

What was your stance?  

That if Pelosi signed the Senate bill I'd vomit from rage because it was nothing short of capitulation for the sake of capitulation. Not a red cent of that money was ever gonna go to 'improving conditions'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That if Pelosi signed the Senate bill I'd vomit from rage because it was nothing short of capitulation for the sake of capitulation. Not a red cent of that money was ever gonna go to 'improving conditions'.

It surprises me that this stance would have put you on an island.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DMC said:

Dude OGE's quote is essentially what me and larry were saying from the get-go:

Although, sure, Trisk is right that risk aversion, or "loss aversion," is an articulate way to describe it.

yeah, the term “loss aversion” is what made it click for me, framed as a kind of less than rational psychological phenomenon, whereas i only read the prior framing as insisting folks genuinely enjoy current private coverage and reinforcing the “they want to take away your insurance!!” maybe a subtle distinction, but an critical one to me. now i may not agree on the extent as to which that is a compelling argument in favor of preserving the insurance companies in any form, but at least i kinda get it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×