Army Size?

I was looking for numbers for the total strength or estimate of the nine regions of Westeros, at the start of the War of the Five Kings. We know that Robb led almost 20,000 men south. Renly is supposed to have 100,000 men. The Lannister is supposed to have 35,000 men. But this number is just of the men in the fields. What about the Iron Isles, Crownlands, Dorne, Vale, etc. I had read the military strength page on the Wiki of Ice and Fire and was looking for more than what presence on the page. I know that according to that page, a semi-canon source from 2005, mentioned, for example, the North can field 45,000 men but I can't find a copy of that source for all of the regions i.e. Dorne is missing. 

Thank!

From what I gather reading this post and that opinion, Iron Islands is 20k max (sailors and raiders) Crownlands is 10-15K and Vale is 20K if not scraping the bottom of the barrel. Moreover, I read somewhere that Quentyn's boast of 50K Dornish spears is greatly inflated. Since the Dornishmen only sent 10K spears to the Trident (which was a make or break battle), my estimate is that Dorne is probably 25k.

I had real trouble believing the Iron Islands could hold the Riverlands with only 20,000 men. That would make the North, only double the strength of the Iron Isles. I had read the same thing too but like I said in my original post I don't have access to that source. 

16 minutes ago, allenknott3 said:

I had real trouble believing the Iron Islands could hold the Riverlands with only 20,000 men. That would make the North, only double the strength of the Iron Isles. I had read the same thing too but like I said in my original post I don't have access to that source. 

The British held India with basically a skeleton crew of Brits and a powerful fleet. It could be done if Riverlands was divided, with the rivers serving as a highway for Iron Islands Forces to shuttle around hotspots. Moreover, like the British and their sepoys, they may have hired lots of sellswords and auxiliaries. 

My opinion is that the North's poverty and vast expanse probably makes gathering its actual-full-scraping of the bottom of the barrel- strength hard. Maybe they don't have enough steel to arm everybody or supplies to sustain a larger army even if a larger willing manpower is there.

On 7/3/2019 at 7:19 AM, allenknott3 said:

I was looking for numbers for the total strength or estimate of the nine regions of Westeros, at the start of the War of the Five Kings. We know that Robb led almost 20,000 men south. Renly is supposed to have 100,000 men. The Lannister is supposed to have 35,000 men. But this number is just of the men in the fields. What about the Iron Isles, Crownlands, Dorne, Vale, etc. I had read the military strength page on the Wiki of Ice and Fire and was looking for more than what presence on the page. I know that according to that page, a semi-canon source from 2005, mentioned, for example, the North can field 45,000 men but I can't find a copy of that source for all of the regions i.e. Dorne is missing. 

Thank!

Check my signature

Archived