I was curious to what peoples would think about the idea if things had played out differently if Catelyn could convince her father/brother to give Harrenhal to one of her younger son, Bran or Rickon, Harrenhal once House Whent when extinct? Since it seems from Robert's Rebellion that the North and Riverlands had grown closer together. 

I suspect that only king could give Harrenhall to new house. Or Starks would have a claim via their maternal grandmother but final decision will be made by whoever happens to be ruling king or queen.

Besides Lady Shella Whent (who is still alive), there's another living Whent - Wynafrei, she's Walder Frey's daughter-in-law, married to Danwell.

Prior her marriage, Cat was a Tully, not a Whent, thus, she and Lysa and Edmure, even though their mother used to be a Whent, have less rights to get Harrenhal, than this Wynafrei. Thus, by law, Freys have more rights than Starks to inherite Harrenhal.

On 7/3/2019 at 3:28 AM, Loose Bolt said:

I suspect that only king could give Harrenhall to new house. Or Starks would have a claim via their maternal grandmother but final decision will be made by whoever happens to be ruling king or queen.

I suspect the crown would get involved before letting the largest castle (in the middle of another region) become directly ruled by the LP of another region.

Posted (edited)

Thought this was gunna be a Sansa thread...;-)

Edited by cgf