German politics. Flinten-Uschi defying the laws of gravity

Not sure what the hell Laschet is doing at the moment, but it seems he loves North Rhine-Westphalia so much that he doesn't want to move to Berlin. I still don't think the Greens will win, but they actually might have a chance if Laschet continues to make advances to the right wing of his party and Söder continues to attack Laschet. Getting Merz on board may frighten off anyone who is more progressive than a Roman snail.

I'm sure the values of Merz have changed since the late 90s. I mean he only voted against making martial rape a crime once right?

He is a down to earth middle class guy. That he wants the lazy lower castes to work as cheap as possible is something every middle class person with two or more private jets should understand. Social justice is bad for the economy!

7 hours ago, Jon AS said:

I haven't seen any figures on what his chances are to get into the Bundestag by direct election, but given general election trends in this country they're probably depressingly high.

Hochsauerlandkreis is a district the CDU always wins, so he will make it for sure. He then can have a talk with Maaßen about the imminent threat of left-wing terrorism. If they try hard, they may even manage to count all deaths caused by left terrorism since the reunification.

On a more serious note, in my opinion Germany actually needs a strong conservative party that can give a home to all voters who need some more decades to understand that allowing same sex marriages won't make your children gay and a foreign look doesn't mean you're not German (not saying most conservatives are like that). I am afraid that a weakened CDU gets erratic and looses controll of the party members in the east who would like to form a coalition with the AfD. If this happens, the CDU will implode, and I won't imagine where this would lead.

2 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Hochsauerlandkreis is a district the CDU always wins, so he will make it for sure. He then can have a talk with Maaßen about the imminent threat of left-wing terrorism. If they try hard, they may even manage to count all deaths caused by left terrorism since the reunification.

On a more serious note, in my opinion Germany actually needs a strong conservative party that can give a home to all voters who need some more decades to understand that allowing same sex marriages won't make your children gay and a foreign look means you're not German (not saying most conservatives are like that). I am afraid that a weakened CDU gets erratic and looses controll of the party members in the east who would like to form a coalition with the AfD. If this happens, the CDU will implode, and I won't imagine where this would lead.

That is a rational quite frankly.

The cdu is not perfect. It is preferable to the fascists.

Not sure what to make of Scholz latest stand up comedy gig of attacking Baerbock over her lack of experience in goverment.

Quick reminder:

• Ordered the of emetics on suspect drug dealers, which directly caused one death (during his time as senator of the interior)
  • Is one of the key players in the Warburg Bank cum ex scandal (Hamburg Mayor)
  • Hosted the G20 summit in Hamburg with all the associated police brutality (Hamburg Mayor) and related to that
  • Sunk milions of tax payer money on that failed bid to co-host the olympics, which was never gonna fly, and got shot down by the electorate in Hamburg (Hamburg Mayor)
  • Is yet again, a key player in another financial scandal, Wirecard.

This coming from the guy being on top of the ticket for the party that is polling at 15%.

If I were him, I really wouldn't bring up experience in goverment.

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Bye-bye Boris.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

He has been a pain in the ass for some time now. At some point it does not matter anymore what he actually meant. Either he is racist or he does not understand how the internet works, but refuses to learn it. You can not work with a politician like that both ways.

Palmer is insufferable bell. He has been for years. He should've been ousted from the party for several other transgressions.

• His previous racist comments
  • Him outing another party members as trans on social media
  • his policing stunt in Tübingen a few years ago

I mean he is one of the people who I think have an inflated sense of their own importance. The Green's didn't win the Mayorship in Tübingen because of him, he won the Mayorship because of him being in the Green party. The CDU was ousted after they forced all the students in Tübingen to register in there, and they tend to be voting Green and not the CDU. I think the next Green candidate should be able to defend the Mayorship without being the attention whore Palmer is.

Ursula von der Leyen is everything what is wrong in politics. Her stance regarding vaccine patents proves it again. Of course she is against the temporary freeze of patent rights. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 4:08 PM, Arakan said:

Ursula von der Leyen is everything what is wrong in politics. Her stance regarding vaccine patents proves it again. Of course she is against the temporary freeze of patent rights. 

As much as it goes against every fiber of my being, I have to agree on that one. See how the companies scrambled to get a vaccine out. Of course it was mainly because of the €€€ in their eyes. If this carrot is taken away from them, we will be in a very bad situation in the next pandemic. This is for my opinion a very important consideration...market forces yadda yadda...

Of course, if the waiving of patent rights would be the only solution, I would also say lets go for it. But I don't believe it is the main bottleneck. It is production capacity and especially rich states outside of the EU sitting on essentials to get a worldwide vaccination programme going. Some of the countries now demanding the patents for free are the ones with production capacities, source materials and less need to vaccinate their own population now ( giving them the opportunity to sell their patent free stuff elsewhere)

20 hours ago, kiko said:

As much as it goes against every fiber of my being, I have to agree on that one. See how the companies scrambled to get a vaccine out. Of course it was mainly because of the €€€ in their eyes. If this carrot is taken away from them, we will be in a very bad situation in the next pandemic. This is for my opinion a very important consideration...market forces yadda yadda...

Of course, if the waiving of patent rights would be the only solution, I would also say lets go for it. But I don't believe it is the main bottleneck. It is production capacity and especially rich states outside of the EU sitting on essentials to get a worldwide vaccination programme going. Some of the countries now demanding the patents for free are the ones with production capacities, source materials and less need to vaccinate their own population now ( giving them the opportunity to sell their patent free stuff elsewhere)

In principle I agree with you. Big Pharma needs incentives and we (unfortunately) need Big Pharma. Though I ask myself: when is enough profit enough? Last figure I heard was 3.5 billion profit (not revenue) for Pfizer alone, solely for the corona vaccine. 

Anyway, I hope we have learned our lesson. It doesn’t have to be this way. The complete privatization of Pharma research is a thing of the last 30/40 years. There are other ways. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not related to the current German government, but I've always poked a bit of light fun at the language. I only took one level of German in college, and honestly, how the hell do you say "Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Vaterlaendischen Kampfverbaende"? I had never come across the party name before and that's the biggest mouthful I may have ever read.

I would claim it is one of its most amazing features. The ability to create new words out of thin air is great. What non native speaker usually have a hard time grasping is that Arbeitsgemeinschaft is a word in its own right and not just a temporary concatenation of the word Arbeit and Gemeinschaft. Working group as a translation doesn't at all capture the meaning for me. It's meh, a group working on something. Sounds boring.

Eta. Seems the thread starter didn't get it right either ;) It should be Flintenuschi. Yes, you can do it with names too.

1 hour ago, kiko said:

I would claim it is one of its most amazing features. The ability to create new words out of thin air is great. What non native speaker usually have a hard time grasping is that Arbeitsgemeinschaft is a word in its own right and not just a temporary concatenation of the word Arbeit and Gemeinschaft. Working group as a translation doesn't at all capture the meaning for me. It's meh, a group working on something. Sounds boring.

Eta. Seems the thread starter didn't get it right either ;) It should be Flintenuschi. Yes, you can do it with names too.

Flinten Uschi did look wrong but as someone who speaks proper German I did not feel like commenting on regional anomalies. :p

Okay, correcting it for the so called proper German speakers : *Die* Flintenuschi.

And thank you, now I have Flintenuschi in my auto type recommendations. Another advantage of compound nouns ;)

4 hours ago, kiko said:

It was intended a small service since this is a majority English speaking board. Either way, I tend to think I should have gone with the hyphen. So Flinten-Uschi was the way to go. One of the few occasions where a hyphen would've been appropriate.

I will make the appropriate correction now.

18 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

It was intended a small service since this is a majority English speaking board. Either way, I tend to think I should have gone with the hyphen. So Flinten-Uschi was the way to go. One of the few occasions where a hyphen would've been appropriate.

I will make the appropriate correction now.

There are dozens of us here. DOZENS! 

Archived