German politics. Flinten-Uschi defying the laws of gravity

2 hours ago, JoannaL said:

example: Kommunistische Plattform;  organisation inside the left party which is observed by the Verfassungsschutz, because their goals are unconstitutional

The bit of the party with less than 1% of the delegates are pulling the levers of power?

On 9/27/2021 at 3:13 PM, Mindwalker said:

Shockingly, most of the first-time voters voted for the FDP (liberals). Even more so than for the Greens.

On 9/27/2021 at 3:21 PM, Arakan said:

That was also my what the fuck moment but then after thinking about it for a while it totally makes sense for Generation Insta. Faking, posing, get rich or die trying, get the fame no matter how. Form over content and substance. Get that marketing slogans and #philosophy in. Do you wanna become a life coach? Occupation: consultant 
Hey it’s all about Brand Value, let me promote your stuff :). #lifeisgood 

In that light the FDP (which is all of the above) fits quite well with that sub Milieu of the young generation (they exist as well but media focuses way more on the idealistic FFF).

Going back to this one.

I have another explanation. Facebook.

German language video. No, I won't translate it for our English language community. Even I have my limits. Anyway, core takeaway, micro targeting. FDP paid big for it, reaped the electoral reward. I think with the young first time voters that strategy is particularly disgusting and succesful. The more seasoned political observers know the FDP is full shit, and won't do a thing about climate change. The market and non-existent technologies will take her of that inconvenience.

Oh sorry, thought it had to do something with Austria. Since we are short of a short chancellor right now, I had hoped they found a final solution for that issue.

On 10/4/2021 at 2:20 PM, kiko said:

Oh sorry, thought it had to do something with Austria. Since we are short of a short chancellor right now, I had hoped they found a final solution for that issue.

Very unfortunate choice of words, I'd say.

1 hour ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Do you want him? Pretty please!:unsure:

Historically speaking, I'd rather do without Austrian chancellors. So, I think I'll pass on that generous offer.

Your openly corrupt chancellor, your problem. Altho, the latest twist with the news paper campaign paid for by Austria's ministry of finance, that is quite something. He should be in jail, not in office.

Let's see how this pays out. The raid of the chancellor's office was a promising start at least.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Very unfortunate choice of words, I'd say.

I'd say that was the point of my (lame) joke, but anyway. I hope for our Austrian friends, that they will finally get rid of him. Let's see who is faster, the CDU with Laschet or the ÖVP with Kurz. My money is on Laschet, Kurz is very sticky.

5 hours ago, kiko said:

I'd say that was the point of my (lame) joke, but anyway. I hope for our Austrian friends, that they will finally get rid of him. Let's see who is faster, the CDU with Laschet or the ÖVP with Kurz. My money is on Laschet, Kurz is very sticky.

Looks like you are winning.

Another chance for Friedrich, member of the middle class, to show his quality?

He is in negotiations with the party leadership. Right now they have some democratic processes which he is not so happy about after losing twice to some well loved and amazingly qualified competitors. Once they get rid of those democratic hurdles, he will throw his hat into the ring and wait for the CDU to beg him to take over 

Merz feels strangely and sadly inevitable this time.

Who are the other competitors?

Spahn? He teamed up with Laschet early on, and his damaged by his corona handling as health miniters. So in a sane world, he shouldn't stand a chance. But conservatives and sanity, I mean anybody who fancies Merz as their saviour automatically fails that category.

Röttgen?!? Not really. He is the definition of a political lightweight.

I think Günther might have a chance on the moderate lane, if he decides to run. I'd have to ask my conservatie friend, whom he fancies this time around. But if the base is yearning for a more right wing candidate, then he doesn't stand a chance, and it will Merz.

15 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Merz feels strangely and sadly inevitable this time.

Who are the other competitors?

Spahn? He teamed up with Laschet early on, and his damaged by his corona handling as health miniters. So in a sane world, he shouldn't stand a chance. But conservatives and sanity, I mean anybody who fancies Merz as their saviour automatically fails that category.

Röttgen?!? Not really. He is the definition of a political lightweight.

I think Günther might have a chance on the moderate lane, if he decides to run. I'd have to ask my conservatie friend, whom he fancies this time around. But if the base is yearning for a more right wing candidate, then he doesn't stand a chance, and it will Merz.

I agree that the chances of Merz are very good this time around. But I don't think this will help the CDU. He is certainly very popular with the more conservative parts of the party but I don't think he has a good appeal to the more moderate/middle leaning people. And that is where the CDU has actually lost voters. They actually gained some voters from the AfD, but lost to SPD, the Greens and FDP.

I don't think Röttgen is a lightweight, but he certainly lacks the support of his own party.

I agree withyou on Spahn.

On the moderate side I would agree with Günther, maybe Hans from Saarland. But it may be Merz. (On a sidenote: he always remembers me of Mr. Burns from the Simpsons)

Merz and Röttgen (and maybe even Günther) have the same issue Scholz had before Laschet and Baerbock decided that looking competent is overrated: they are well liked by people who usually wouldn't vote for their party though. But in opposite to Merz and just like Scholz Röttgen and Günther lean to the political centre, the place where elections still are decided. So with Röttgen or Günther people would have an alternative to vote for when they are tired of Scholz (whenever this day will come). But most of the people in the centre wouldn't vote for Merz. So chosing him now might keep the CDU in the opposition for years. Anyone in the CDU who thinks leaning to the right is the way, hasn't paid attention.

1 hour ago, Wylla Manderly said:

I don't think Röttgen is a lightweight, but he certainly lacks the support of his own party.

What makes you think he isn't? Genuine question.

His mucked up campaign to unseat Kraft in NRW, where he tried to campaign for governership, while also keeping his federal office? His role as a backbencher? His bland character? His lack of support from within his party? He is not holding any office. So I am really baffled, that you (or anybody else) would consider him to be anything else than a political lightweight.

Ah, I am somewhat curious whether Kretschmer will throw his proverbial hat in the ring, as a more conservative Eastern German Governor.

19 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

What makes you think he isn't? Genuine question.

His mucked up campaign to unseat Kraft in NRW, where he tried to campaign for governership, while also keeping his federal office? His role as a backbencher? His bland character? His lack of support from within his party? He is not holding any office. So I am really baffled, that you (or anybody else) would consider him to be anything else than a political lightweight.

Ah, I am somewhat curious whether Kretschmer will throw his proverbial hat in the ring, as a more conservative Eastern German Governor.

I personally think he is one of the more thoughtful CDU politicians ( I know it doesn't need much). He at least knows how to argue political (conservative) issues apart from the "black zero". I don't think it is a problem that he doesn't hold any political office now (Merz doesn't neither). And I wrote that he lacks the support of his own party . I know he isn't ideal but I would prefer him over Merz (but I don't vote CDU anyway). As I hink that Spahn and Günther (or Hans) won't stand a chance I would prefer anyone than Merz (relly can't stand him; I still remember his tax declaration on a beer mat).

The idea with Kretschmer is interesting. But I wonder if he stands a chance outside Saxonia.

Kramp-Karrenbauer and Altmeier are giving up their seats in the Bundestag. So these two are out. Add Klöckner, who has announced that she won't run as party chair in Rhineland-Palatinate again, Merkel, and presumably Laschet, then there's quite a shuffle in the CDU leadership. I guess Schäuble is on his way out, too. He won't be speaker of the Bundestag again and it was him who pushed through Laschet. 

Archived