German politics. Flinten-Uschi defying the laws of gravity

2 hours ago, kiko said:

Looks like @Luzifer's right hand won. Kurz is gone. Well done. Laschet is still dithering.

I did not really expect that. I guess he was sure that he would lose the vote of no confidence or other players in his own party gave him no choice. He is still pulling the strings in the party at least officially. I really hope someone from his own side stabs him in the back.

Might be the best possible outcome because a 4 party coalition with the FPÖ seemed kinda impossible because of their take on the pandemic.

Looks more like his legal troubles are even bigger than it appears.

I couldn't see a reasonable way out of the political deadlock Austria was in.

If the Greens were to leave the coalition, what'd be the endgame there?

Kurz reforging his right wing goverment with the FPÖ?

The Israel model? All parties form an ueasy alliance to oust Kurz and his ÖVP?

A new election, which would probably return the same parliament (with a few seats changing here and there).

So if Kurz had stayed on, the prosecutors would've been the only players capable to drop teh curtain on him. ALso not a particularly great outlook, if that were to come to pass.

39 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Looks more like his legal troubles are even bigger than it appears.

I couldn't see a reasonable way out of the political deadlock Austria was in.

If the Greens were to leave the coalition, what'd be the endgame there?

Kurz reforging his right wing goverment with the FPÖ?

The Israel model? All parties form an ueasy alliance to oust Kurz and his ÖVP?

A new election, which would probably return the same parliament (with a few seats changing here and there).

So if Kurz had stayed on, the prosecutors would've been the only players capable to drop teh curtain on him. ALso not a particularly great outlook, if that were to come to pass.

It looked like the other parties were willing to form an uneasy alliance but the greens were reluctant. The greens would have lost all that they worked for if the government collapsed now and absolutely nobody on the green side wants to rule with the FPÖ especially after it shed the last remains of sanity during the pandemic.

The greens made it clear that they would continue if Kurz stepped down and it looks like at least some parts of the ÖVP decided to accept that offer. I'm not convinced that Kurz changed his mind without heavy internal pressure.

Kickl the current leader of the FPÖ hates Kurz. There was no possible coalition there I believe.

Edit: I started a new thread because this one but 21 pages.

Archived