Cricket 35: Bat first, bat often

Jeor

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Biggest contribution Guptill has made in this entire tournament. Dhoni in for some flak. 

Guptill wants one more game to bat to redeem himself!

Good decision by Williamson to hold back Neesham's over to the end. Ferguson's pressure and bowling has virtually won it here before Neesham has had to go.

I think everyone is a bit harsh on Dhoni. His method has given him so much success, not sure why people suddenly expected him to change it this late in his career. He has always taken the game deep and then smashed it at the end. It has given him more success than not. If he was more aggressive, then he could've gotten out earlier and then people would still be on his case. Fans will be "right" in the end regardless, since the fans get to move the goal post constantly with the benefit of hindsight.

1 minute ago, The Winged Shadow said:

I think everyone is a bit harsh on Dhoni. His method has given him so much success, not sure why people suddenly expected him to change it this late in his career. He has always taken the game deep and then smashed it at the end. It has given him more success than not. If he was more aggressive, then he could've gotten out earlier and then people would still be on his case. Fans will be "right" in the end regardless, since the fans get to move the goal post constantly with the benefit of hindsight.

Yes, we are probably being a bit harsh - the partnership with Jadeja was going well, and when he hit that 6 it seemed like Dhoni was ready to take over when Jadeja got out.

But the dot balls to start his innings are a bit anachronistic nowadays. Most players can nurdle themselves into an innings but that skill has eluded Dhoni.

As I said before, I don't think that Dhoni is as good a finisher anymore as he used to be. The criticism of him is probably a bit harsh but I suppose that's because expectations of Dhoni are still very high considering that over the course of his career he's been among the best, if not the best, finisher the game has ever seen. 

I do agree that the rotation of strike wasn't as good, but consider his position at the time, and remember that Williamson kept the field up for large parts of the play to restrict the singles (until Jadeja pushed back). Also, remember that even Williamson struggled during his innings and he is really good at rotating strike. Nobody found it easy to score in this pitch.

Fair enough that he has set a pretty high standard for himself lol

The great thing about this game is that it was a team effort from all concerned. Williamson and Taylor crucial to setting up a credible total, good team bowling from India to restrict them to 239. Then NZ's bowling really was a team effort too - Santner fantastic, but Henry grabbing the early wickets and Ferguson bowling a match-winning tight spell at the end, while India had Pant, Pandya, Dhoni, and Jadeja get them close.

So much better than an ODI bashfest!

Incredibly happy for Kane and NZ. Two WC finals in a row...but can they win it all this time?? It's pretty crazy that they have made the final after three defeats and near elimination to end the round robin. 

The Dhoni criticisms you see online are a bit silly. He came in at 5-71 and got India within 20 runs of victory. The only critiques should be for the Indian top order, who couldn't do what Nicholls and Williamson did yesterday against the skill of Bhuvi and Bumrah: survive.

I am a little stunned by this result. I think I gave NZ a 0.0% chance yesterday...

In reality Dhoni should have come in before Pandya to partner with Pant. I'm not sure why they held him back until later, but early on was the perfect time for Dhoni to make his mark.

The Indian bowlers did their jobs, and the lower order almost made it happen, but the top order were the abject failures. To be 4/24 chasing a modest total is criminal, although admittedly the NZ bowling had something to do with that.

England/Australia will like their chances in the final. Quality win though it was, it was a scrappy sort of victory and I think both sides would prefer to be playing NZ rather than India.

4 minutes ago, Jeor said:

England/Australia will like their chances in the final. Quality win though it was, it was a scrappy sort of victory and I think both sides would prefer to be playing NZ rather than India.

Yeah it is one of the problems of India getting eliminated (two WCs in a row!) at the semi-final stage. In 2015 Australia won with 7 wickets and 17 overs remaining...it wasn't exactly a memorable match (apart from Starc getting McCullum early with a beautiful yorker). 

Well, we did get a blockbuster semifinal already, with potentially a second one to come with Australia/England. So if the final turns out to be so-so I guess we did at least get a few good matches out of this World Cup.

That was a classic semi-final, there were so many switches in momentum. India must have been confident of chasing down that total, then New Zealand ripped apart the top order but Jadeja's superb innings made it look like India might just scrape home. It was a game of small margins, Neesham's catch, Kohli's umpire's call and obviously Guptill running out Dhoni by a fraction of a second. The conditions probably did suit New Zealand very well (they must be hoping for something similar on Sunday) but they still had to make the most of it.

I agree it would be unfair to blame Dhoni too much, arguably he should have tried to score a little bit faster but if he'd taken more risks and got out early in his innings then all hope would have gone with him. I think I'd probably have promoted him in the batting order above Pandya, who didn't really seem like the right type of batsman for that situation.

I think New Zealand are still going to be the underdogs going into the final but their opponents won't take them lightly since they've shown a real will to win here and they did bowl well in their group match against Australia at Lord's (although their batting was disappointing on that day). I think they'll probably be hoping for another low-scoring match.

25 minutes ago, williamjm said:

India must have been confident of chasing down that total

I think Cricviz had them at a 98% chance of victory at that point in the match!

Just on Kohli - he has scored ten runs or less (9-1-1!) in each of the three World Cup semi-finals he's played. I know it's harsh to judge such a successful ODI player on three innings, but the fact remains that he has failed to perform in knockout games of major tournaments. By contrast, other great players of the modern era have shown their mettle in big games (think Dhoni in the 2011 final, Ponting in 2003 or Gilchrist in 2007). 

I definitely didn't see that coming. Honestly, I thought New Zealand were going to get battered. Conditions did look to be helping the bowlers a bit and chasing has been difficult throughout the World Cup but defending 239 against that Indian batting lineup was a great effort. 

I think some of the criticism of Dhoni is merited. Yeah, if he'd forced it too much early on India may have got nowhere near 240 but he piles a lot of pressure on the guys at the other end with his low strike rates and we haven't seen the big finishes at this World Cup we have in the past. There's probably a middle ground between overdoing it with trying up the pace of scoring and the complete lack of boundaries we've seen from him at times.

Archived