Cricket 35: Bat first, bat often

Jeor

7 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Winning the toss and batting = half the job done. 

What's the stats on that now? Is it 2/3 or 3/4 of games are won by the team that won the toss?

I imagine with the total NZ managed to post (respectable compared to what it could have been), most people would have been thinking that this would be a game that would be the exception to the rule.

I'm thinking about making a special effort to watch the final live. But I wonder if I should just watch the coin toss live and then go to bed fairly certain of who will win. Actually what time GMT is the final, is it a day-night game?

The toss does seem to be a crucial element. Tomorrow's game will be an interesting one - if any side can win chasing, it should be England (who in recent years have favoured chasing) or Australia who made a good fist (if ultimately a losing one) of a 300+ chase against South Africa.

Either of those teams would be favoured against NZ, but NZ just have those lurking match-winners. Boult and Williamson are their leading lights, obviously, but if Guptill (who was the top runscorer last tournament) fires properly that changes the whole complexion of the game. If Guptill gets them off to a good start, that makes Williamson and Taylor much more dangerous (as they don't have to do the go-slow repair job). And we've seen how the other bowlers like Henry and Santner can perform in a semifinal, too.

They'll be the underdogs, but they could cause trouble for anyone.

EDITED: More on Guptill - his sudden form slump is a mystery. He came into the tournament having scored back-to-back ODI centuries against Bangladesh, and then began the World Cup with a brisk 73* off 51 balls against Sri Lanka. He can play in ahigh pressure tournament, as the leading runscore of their last run to the final. But since then he's only scored 94 runs in the last 8 innings.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'm thinking about making a special effort to watch the final live. But I wonder if I should just watch the coin toss live and then go to bed fairly certain of who will win. Actually what time GMT is the final, is it a day-night game?

It's a morning start (10:30).

The weather forecast looks good at the moment, so hopefully there won't be any rain delays.

48 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It's a morning start (10:30).

The weather forecast looks good at the moment, so hopefully there won't be any rain delays.

That's 9:30PM here. Quite a civilised hour to watch the first innings at least.

15 hours ago, Jeor said:

In reality Dhoni should have come in before Pandya to partner with Pant. I'm not sure why they held him back until later, but early on was the perfect time for Dhoni to make his mark.

Nothing would've changed because Dhoni would've done exactly what he did, which is to score slowly and take the game deep. Pandya and Pant were put there to counter attack. All the commentators were calling for someone to shift the momentum and wanted Dhoni for some reason. Dhoni isn't an aggressive momentum shifter like Rahane, Jadeja, Pant, Pandya etc. So people criticizing him for being slow, but then wanted him to move up the order.....where he will be slow anyway! And we'd be in this same situation having this this same conversation.

edit: Ridiculous to blame him from scoring slowly when players like Taylor and Williamson also struggled. I think people are probably pissed at some of his other games and bringing some of the baggage from those games. 

Fuck, why am I defending Dhoni anyway.....:wacko:

Maybe this will be England's year after all! Smith will have to pull a Williamson and slowly rebuild if Australia are to have any chance. Supposedly a good pitch so England should be able to chase.

I think that whole "bat first and win" strategy is going out the window. English bowlers are making this pitch look like a minefield. Australia need to scratch their way to 200+ to have a chance. We'd bite their hand off to take NZ's 239.

16 minutes ago, Jeor said:

A long way to go, but one of these two needs to be in it for the long haul. Even so, a sub par total still looks very likely.

Sub par totals are a good way to win in this competition! Australia still in with a good shot.

Archived