Cricket 35: Bat first, bat often

Jeor

2 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

WTF are you doing up this late Jeor :blink:

One might ask what you're doing up this late @The Winged Shadow!

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

I assume Jeor is still in the UK?

@Paxter is correct, still in the UK. I actually fly out to France on Sunday night, which actually works out well as I'll avoid the jubilant English if they end up winning it all. I'm in France for a week seeing friends but I'll be back in London a few more days after that before I fly back home - I actually just miss the start of the Ashes, which is a shame, but my pocketbook (and leave) doesn't quite extend into the fourth week of hotel stays...

Burns' record is pretty good in Tests. 40+ average, 4 centuries and 4 half-centuries in 16 matches. It would seem harsh to drop him given he made 180 in his most recent match. Harris, on the other hand, has 6 Tests to his name and no centuries, an average of 32.70. Unless he's in scintillating first-class form I'd think Burns should get the nod.

Ah, forgot that you went to support the Aussies! I was playing Total War Warhammer II and thought it was midnight, but turned out it was almost 5am :uhoh:

@PaxterI am a Renshaw man! Maybe we can find a middle ground. Drop Warner, Burns + Renshaw open. Left right combo preserved. Douchebag* dropped. Everyone happy.

*I must say, he seems to have grown up quite a bit in the one year of ban. Almost seems mature and everything.....

9 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

*I must say, he seems to have grown up quite a bit in the one year of ban. Almost seems mature and everything.....

Pssshh I don't trust this one bit. His apology over the whole ball-tampering incident was very mealy-mouthed at best and I don't see him as the type who will be chastened at all. I actually hope he gets such a bad run of scores in the Ashes that he can be dropped on form alone and we won't ever see him again in the team, although given the dearth of quality batsmen coming through I think the selectors are going to hang onto him for dear life.

The English will be overwhelming favourites tomorrow. I have to say, although they lost some matches in the group stage (Pakistan and Sri Lanka being early shocks), since then they have turned out to be one of the best teams in this tournament. They comprehensively beat Australia in the semis to avenge their group stage loss, they defeated India relatively comfortably in the group stage, and they thrashed NZ in the group stage too. So if they do win tomorrow, they can say they've legitimately earnt it as they've defeated all the other semifinalists during the competition (i.e. the other top 3 teams in the table).

That at least can help me rationalise an English victory...

But still, I'm hoping for centuries from Guptill and Williamson and Boult getting a five-for in a New Zealand upset. Go Kiwis!

NZ win the toss and bat first. I hope they show more resistance to the English new ball attack than Australia did!

Come on Guptill...one last chance to redeem yourself!!

But I have a dreaded feeling that Williamson will be walking into bat before the third over has finished. Good conditions for bowling and the openers are in terrible form.

40 minutes ago, Jeor said:

But I have a dreaded feeling that Williamson will be walking into bat before the third over has finished. Good conditions for bowling and the openers are in terrible form.

Close but unfortunately for England it was Dharmasena who gave the lbw decision. I’m not sure how he’s been picked for the final.

England are bowling well but if New Zealand can negotiate the new balls without losing any wickets that’ll be a big boost.

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Close but unfortunately for England it was Dharmasena who gave the lbw decision. I’m not sure how he’s been picked for the final.

I think he's taken a final before, hasn't he? Erasmus is good, though.

England just need to stay patient. A few close calls, Guptill a bit reckless, and you get the feeling it's only a matter of time before a wicket falls.

And there it is, Guptill ends a very sorry tournament (though maybe he'll have another run out in him in the next innings).

Please please Williamson stay in!

9 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

This is starting to become a bit of a problem now. England could really do with picking up some wickets.

Nichols is looking comfortable for the first time in the tournament, they're building a decent platform here. 

Massive wicket. If they'd kept on for another 10 overs, England would have been in real trouble and NZ would have been right on top. Now they have to start again.

Uh oh, the wheels are falling off from NZ. And they were going so well, too.

I was reflecting earlier while Williamson was still in that the difference between Kohli and Williamson/Smith is that Kohli always looks to dominate. Whereas Smith in the semifinal, and Williamson here, were content to play it safe and stay in where a Kohli might have been out early trying to assert himself.

England are going to win this. I don't think 250 would have been enough anyway, judging by their assured chasing against Australia in the semifinal.

Guptill cost Taylor's wicket with that review. Would have been not out. Taylor's wicket was the 2nd most important after Williamson.

I've not seen any live cricket since it went to sky over a decade ago. I've been really enjoying not, but... Time to switch over to the tennis and rely on BBC love updates (and flicking over at change of ends - which doesn't work great for cricket)

NZ closing in on 200 but they've lost too many wickets for Latham and de Grandhomme to play freely. I think they're going to be under par and England will be primed to chase it down.

Archived