Spiderman: Far From Home, Near to Spoilers

Rhom

I figure since we have been discussing the movie in the MCU thread with constant spoiler boxes, its worth its own topic now.  Most of the discussion centers around "The Blip" and very little talk of the movie itself.  :lol:  And what discussion of the movie there is seems to be about the post credits scenes!  :lol:  

On the Blip, I thought they did a pretty good job of showing the changes all things considered.  Its not like we were ever going to see everything as a wasteland like some folks in the MCU discussion threads seem to want.  Aunt May was hosting a benefit for people displaced during the Blip and was sharing her own story.  There was a humorous scene where the unsnapped returned in the middle of the basketball game.  And the question on all of Peter's friends was answered with the addition of Brad.  I also liked MJ calling out Flash for being 16 instead of 21.  :lol:  I've got no problem whatsoever with how it was handled.

On the post credit reveals...  First off, huzzah for the return of JK Simmons as J Jonah Jameson.  Never has there been a more perfect casting of a supporting character in a comic adaptation in my mind.  Glad they didn't shy away from returning to that well.  Sets up potentially some intriguing storylines for Spidey moving forward.  And the establishment of the Kree as full on factors in SHIELD and other implications was a pretty impressive swerve.  I like it.

Oh... and in between all that was about two hours of quality Spiderman movie.  :lmao: I think I liked this better than Homecoming which I just never could get into despite liking the movie.  I liked how Beck built himself as a big brother figure for Peter.  At the heart of every good Spidey story is the personal connection between Peter and the villain.  That was the best part of Homecoming and was a strong factor in FFH as well.  I liked the drones as a kind of Spider Slayer stand in as well.  I liked the comedy in the movie and the action scenes were pretty good with Peter doing what he does best IMO which is saving folks in the way.  Very solid entry into the MCU in my book. 

Oh, and someone commented about the kiss between MJ and Peter being awkward at the end... I thought that was the whole point.  It was an amazingly awkward moment between two people with severe social anxiety.  Thought it was perfect. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Oh, and someone commented about the kiss between MJ and Peter being awkward at the end... I thought that was the whole point.  It was an amazingly awkward moment between two people with severe social anxiety.  Thought it was perfect. 

Yeah, I thought they captured that teenage insecurity of the first kiss pretty well too. I was actually pretty impressed with how well Zendaya played the tough acting shell hiding the fragile self beneath. Holland carries his teenage anxiety in the open well too.

Rhom has expressed my views too. Very fun movie.

While I did noticed Fury felt "off" through the whole movie, I never considered they were Skrulls until the post credit scene. Nicely done. And was he cyber-vacationing in Tahiti? I hear it's a nice place...

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

And the establishment of the Kree as full on factors in SHIELD and other implications was a pretty impressive swerve.  I like it.  

Or maybe S.W.O.R.D.? I didn't think to look for any logos. 

Jace's spoiler free review, @DMC

This movie was delightful. I was really hesitant to go see it at the last minute because I was just kinda good with the MCU. Endgame wasn't perfect, but it was a damn satisfying ending and I miss when things had endings.

But that's not the world we live in anymore, and complaining won't bring it back. 

As I said, it was a delight. Maybe even better than the first one because so many characters experience significant growth. Tom Holland is a proven commodity at this point, but all the supporting folks really brought it too. Ned the friend is like my new favorite young actor and new MJ is really great too. She brings a lot of guarded depth to the table. I like her. The teachers are great too.

Jake Gyllenhaal is perfect, as always. I loved the way he interacted with the other heroes and he felt perfectly natural introducing himself to the Universe.

What the movie really nailed was understanding that you don't have to trick the audience to surprise or gratify them. This experience felt like a fucking movie, and I loved it unconditionally.

If you like superheroes or Spidermans or just genuinely engaging stories that have actual characters in them, I highly recommend.

The Maria clue moment that seemed off to me was when she admitted, on Fury's behalf, that he'd had no clue about Beck betraying them, or somesuch.  Odd that Fury would trust anyone's motives to be pure, and odd that Maria would divulge their level of spy-related knowledge/ignorance.   

It helps to imagine Sword infiltrating lots of planets with their shapechanging spy network.    Because initially, just the scene of the ship and crew from CaptainMarvel again only reminded me of how they're not letting skrulls have any secret invasion fun in MCU.    

So is flash's missing mom going to be the villain of movie #3?  Surely they set that up for some reason.   ... Elementals were very D&D, along with the multiverse.   Eh, fun while it lasted.    Hopefully Mysterio will return for a bad guys allstar movie, maybe even drawn from another Earth for real, so as to complete the gag.   "Well I'll be jiggered!  Other Earths ARE a thing!"     Dr. Strange could have told you that.   I want cool new dimensions from Strange 2.  Like, Mephisto hell and shit.   .....The highschoolers were "funny" but not super funny, like I'd make a brief noise instead of a full laugh at most of their jokes.   The bathroom photo was important modern storytelling.   I still don't understand what that guy's deal was.  If he'd grown hunkier shouldn't that mean he didn't blip, so he shouldn't be with their class anymore?    Or he grew hot in the days after they reappeared, but then that's normal life so why draw attention to it?

I think we'll get more blip coverage as it becomes appropriate.   Not all heavy hitting with it in Spiderman is all, where it's about a fun summer vacation.

5 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

The bathroom photo was important modern storytelling.   I still don't understand what that guy's deal was.  If he'd grown hunkier shouldn't that mean he didn't blip, so he shouldn't be with their class anymore?    Or he grew hot in the days after they reappeared, but then that's normal life so why draw attention to it?

I think we'll get more blip coverage as it becomes appropriate.   Not all heavy hitting with it in Spiderman is all, where it's about a fun summer vacation.

My understanding was that he was five years younger than them before.

12 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Peter tingle :lol:

Thought that was great.  Interesting that they seem to be setting up Peter losing his powers story.  That usually leads to a Venom story in most of the versions I’ve seen.  But I don’t see that coming here. (For obvious reasons.)

Good movie.  Better than Homecoming, but not as good as Into The Spiderverse.  Tom Holland is a very good Spiderman, and the teenage characters generally do well to seem authentically awkward or naive without being too emo or angsty, or just obviously too old to be in high school.  Ned is a good sidekick and comic relief, and MJ is very good without being some unrealistic glamazon (Kirsten Dunst’s MJ) or manic pixie dream girl (Emma Stone’s Gwen came close at times).  Lots of comic beats throughout, especially from the teachers and Happy & May, who also provide the emotional support/grounding for the adolescent Peter.  They also did a decent job with Peter’s grief and fear/reluctance of greater responsibility  and loss of a normal life without it becoming mawkish or self-pitying.

Mysterio was a decent villain, upending the Marvel drift toward alien super-beings and returning to more terrestrial foes.  Gyllenhal played it well.  It also introduced a nice idea that people’s gullibility has been hacked and now they can only focus on cartoonish, larger-than life figures, which feels like a slightly self-mocking tone for Marvel (a poke by Sony?) and a comment on current politics.

I dislike the bombastic Nick Fury character, whose constant bluster seems deeply unconvincing.

I’m still not thrilled with Spiderman as an Avenger.  He seems ridiculously underpowered* relative to Thor, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Hulk, Vision, etc.  Although that is also true of Hawkeye, Black Widow, Black Panther, etc.  I also don’t like when Spiderman’s natural abilities and fighting style get over-shadowed by some Iron Man-gifted technology.  It just undermines the character’s role and arc.

*This really stood out in Far From Home in Venice and Prague as Spiderman shot a couple of inneffectual webs and then spent all of his effort to limit structural damage while Mysterio actually “fought” the elemental like some sort of flying version of Scarlet Witch (but with Dr. Strange-ish graphics too).

The Time Square post-credit scene sets up lots of strife for Peter in the next scene, but great to see J. Jonah Jameson back.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

On the Blip, I thought they did a pretty good job of showing the changes all things considered.  Its not like we were ever going to see everything as a wasteland like some folks in the MCU discussion threads seem to want.  Aunt May was hosting a benefit for people displaced during the Blip and was sharing her own story.  There was a humorous scene where the unsnapped returned in the middle of the basketball game.  And the question on all of Peter's friends was answered with the addition of Brad. 

And the establishment of the Kree as full on factors in SHIELD and other implications was a pretty impressive swerve.

"The Blip" is still troubling.  I agree that the MCU shouldn't turn it into some overall depressing thing...but if people were snapped back to where they were when they go dusted...what about people that were in airplanes?  And lots of other scenarios - people that had their infants die of neglect when they were snapped, people that had their spouses remarry, etc.  I think they should continue to show *some* ramifications.

As for SHIELD - Fury isn't part of it anymore, right?  I mean, I know the TV show is basically a separate entity at this point, but they don't talk about Shield in the movies at all.

1 hour ago, The Mother of The Others said:

I still don't understand what that guy's deal was.  If he'd grown hunkier shouldn't that mean he didn't blip, so he shouldn't be with their class anymore?    Or he grew hot in the days after they reappeared, but then that's normal life so why draw attention to it?

Yeah, that was confusing.  When they showed his before/after pictures, I could have sworn they were talking about 16 year olds now being 21.  And then he was still in high school with them.  It was weird.  The actor is in his 30s!

39 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Good movie.  Better than Homecoming, but not as good as Into The Spiderverse. 

I must be the only person who didn't like Into the Spiderverse.  Well, I didn't dislike it...but I fell asleep during it.  I jut didn't get anything out of it.  I think the more outlandish versions really took me out of it - mostly the Spiderpig character. That was pretty cringey for me.

Just now, HokieStone said:

I must be the only person who didn't like Into the Spiderverse.  Well, I didn't dislike it...but I fell asleep during it.  I jut didn't get anything out of it.  I think the more outlandish versions really took me out of it - mostly the Spiderpig character. That was pretty cringey for me.

Spiderpig was terrible and absolutely cringey, and it almost ruined the movie for me, but it was still a very good movie.  Miles Morales was a very good character, and his relationships with his dad and uncle were a great core for a movie.  The humor of the flabby, burnt-out Spiderman made a good second act, and the overall energy and style of the animation was a big plus.  So I forgive them for Spiderpig.

18 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

"The Blip" is still troubling.  I agree that the MCU shouldn't turn it into some overall depressing thing...but if people were snapped back to where they were when they go dusted...what about people that were in airplanes? 

They talked about this in an interview somewhere, the idea being pretty much that the stones are semi intelligent and read your intent, and are the opposite of a monkeys paw and actually try and help. Also Prof Hulk snapped people back, and he smart.

1 hour ago, HokieStone said:

I haven't seen it and likely won't - not my interest - but wait there was a Spiderpig character?  That's both sad and hilarious at the same time.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

They talked about this in an interview somewhere, the idea being pretty much that the stones are semi intelligent and read your intent, and are the opposite of a monkeys paw and actually try and help. Also Prof Hulk snapped people back, and he smart.

Fair enough, I suppose.  But there's still going to be issues.  Like I mentioned...people that died in the interim, new spouses, societal infrastructure having to adapt, etc.  Nothing that hasn't been mentioned before.  I'd like to see it addressed a little...so that the snap does have some lasting effect on the MCU.  If only they had a TV show...about SHIELD...and how the agents reacted to it....

Anyway, back on topic - I really enjoyed Far From Home.  About the only thing that I didn't like was the final battle - Peter against 5000 drones.  It just seemed pretty implausible that he could dodge that many bullets.  And speaking of the drones...makes you think about the Sokovia Accords...there's a private satellite that can dispatch thousands of killer drones?  And it's been placed in control of a 16 year old kid?  Hm.....

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

I haven't seen it and likely won't - not my interest - but wait there was a Spiderpig character?  That's both sad and hilarious at the same time.

Voiced by John Mulaney no less.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I'm seeing this one in the next couple of days, but into the spiderverse imo is the best spiderman movie to date ( I still adore spiderman 2 though), I would certainly give it a chance given that it's on netflix right now. It might surprise you!

10 minutes ago, Raja said:

I would certainly give it a chance given that it's on netflix right now. It might surprise you!

Yeah I've been encouraged by many people to watch it.  I understand it's very well received.  Still, I just..nah, it's not for me.

Archived