Spiderman: Far From Home, Near to Spoilers

Rhom

I finally saw it and really liked it. The humor was great throughout, Tom Holland and the other kids worked really well. Peter's continued growth as a superhero was the highlight of the movie for me.

Mysterio was an ok villain, but nothing special really: a selfish sociopath. I did like he had a team, and couldn't pull all of that off solo. Hence, though he couldn't realize it, he would always be beneath the man he hated. Also liked that he was able to score a victory on Peter even from death.

I really enjoyed the visuals. All the stuff when Mysterio tried to fool Peter, throwing him into those fake environments, were amazing.

I was starting to dislike SLJ as Fury, he was over the top in this one, but the end credits scene made me rethink that. That was pretty funny.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

I haven't seen it and likely won't - not my interest - but wait there was a Spiderpig character?  That's both sad and hilarious at the same time.

SpiderHam.  Alias... Peter Porker.

And I know this because I actually had a comic book with him back in the late 80s or something.

Really enjoyed Far From Home. Pacing maybe wasn’t quite as tight as Homecoming but I thought it was funny throughout, cast were all on form, really entertaining. Best post credits we’ve had in a long time, one that has massive implications for the third Spider-Man film, and one that has repercussions for everything you just saw and the future MCU. I was kinda looking forward to at least a brief ‘classic Spider-Man’ stint (in Manhattan, dating MJ) but I trust them to go somewhere with this.

A few quibbles: the trippy scene in Berlin was a bit out of the blue, mostly because we hadn’t seen any indication that Beck could come up with an elaborate personalised nightmare on the fly. To borrow so heavily from Peter’s own insecurities, like the Homecoming suit? How would he know this stuff? It seemed more like he’d drugged him than fooled him with VR.

They seemed to be going for a ‘minor baddies teamup’ that just totally ran out of steam. “For it is I, the man behind the curtain you didn’t see in Civil War! And him, from Iron Man! And her, from ... uh ... I dunno! And some other people! Yea!”

I was relieved they didn’t do any crass stereotypes of the countries they visited ... right up until Holland. Not sure why they suddenly went Eurotrip for that bit.

What was up with the second teacher? It felt like they suddenly realised late in the game that they’d never go on a trip with one teacher and had to hastily write him in, and he was very comfortably the least funny part of the movie. 

I thought this was a pretty good movie. TBH nothing really stands out as being great though. I did enjoy the first battle with Mysterio where he is taking Spiderman through all of the illusions, thought that played out great on the screen.

So how did Mysterio know that Tony gave his glasses and control to Peter, since his identity was supposed to be a secret, did I miss where they  explained that?

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

So how did Mysterio know that Tony gave his glasses and control to Peter, since his identity was supposed to be a secret, did I miss where they  explained that?

It didn’t need to be his grand plan all along, he may have been trying to up his cred with the fake monsters and then stumbled across the fact that Peter had the glasses.

I’m now thinking back to try and spot all the clues that Fury was really Talos, other than his reaction to Peter mentioning Captain Marvel. Also, is it just me or have they changed his scar to look more like cat scratches?

It seems JJJ is the MCU’s Alex Jones. Good to see J.K. Simmons back.

29 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

I’m now thinking back to try and spot all the clues that Fury was really Talos, other than his reaction to Peter mentioning Captain Marvel. Also, is it just me or have they changed his scar to look more like cat scratches?

Nope, not just you.  I thought the same thing.  Here's a good pic of him from the first Avengers at the top of this article:

https://theplaylist.net/samuel-l-jackson-no-nick-fury-avengers-20170815/

And here he is in a promo still from Far From Home:

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-far-from-home-skrulls-post-credits/

The 3 scratch marks are definitely more prominent...and that sort of spider-web effect from the first picture is pretty much gone.

Overall I enjoyed it. Not in the top tier of the MCU at all, but a solid Spiderman story. I will say the first thirdish of the movie was hampered by some lazy writing. There were a bunch of jokes crammed in that fell flat for me.

As someone who is not an avid follower of the comics or Spidey lore, I have to say that I may have been ruined for Spiderman movies after the awesomness of Into the Spiderverse. I need everything to be that good now haha.

The film was solid and far less MCU important than they were hinting. I don't feel an end credits scene should really count. Plus, there weren't any real surprises for anyone familiar with Mysterio. Although the reveal of Spidey's identity and return of JK Simmons was a pleasant surprise.

I also loved the look of real mysterio! I haven't read any recent comics featuring the character but the greenscreen/army and drones look worked really well. The drones also made his powers more plausible than they ever have in the comics. I was never fully comfortable with how illusions and robots explained the extent of his powers. But it all felt plausible here.

I think they missed a chance by not introducing mysterio's group as "A.I.M" as that's what i thought they were going for. I'd have also liked to know what the mysterio group actually wanted to tell the world. They mentioned several times how people only listen to superheroes now but never once suggested telling us what they wanted to get across.

The "blip" is exactly as i feared, inconsequential. The world basically froze for 5 years then shrugged off an apocalypse. I guess this happens in a comic all the time and arguably did so in other MCU films. But half the world disappearing for 5 years then coming back has more of an effect than a couple of double occupancy homes and some kids having to redo a half year of school. To be fair, I'm glad they are ignoring it as the MCU works best when everyday people behave like we do. What annoys me is they introduced the 5 year blip in the first place. If you aren't going to acknowledge it, don't introduce it. Far easier to just have Stark preserve his daughter and wife's memories of the last 5 years (and maybe the surviving avengers) but reset for everyone else.

But again, this isn't the creators of far from home's fault and highlights the drawback of a shared universe when a film that should have been a superhero roadtrip has to spend 20 minutes waving away the previous film.

11 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think they missed a chance by not introducing mysterio's group as "A.I.M" as that's what i thought they were going for. 

A.I.M. was already used in Iron Man 3. It was Killian’s organization. 

3 hours ago, Quijote Light said:

A.I.M. was already used in Iron Man 3. It was Killian’s organization. 

I think we're out of super smart villain societies in that case or Iron Man wasted them. Although the various flashbacks in this film woul have worked as AIM.

Wonder if we'll ever get MODOK?

I'm not sure what people complaining about the blip want. There's significant time spent on it in the first act. Arguably the entire first act is a response to the blip... it's a fucking Spiderman movie not a documentary on the effects of time distortion. Why don't you complain about the unreasonable odds of every one of Peter's primary relationships getting blipped if you're looking to bitch about something?

Endgame was the movie you got about the post-snap, what-the-fuck-more do you people think you're entitled to?

12 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Why don't you complain about the unreasonable odds of every one of Peter's primary relationships getting blipped if you're looking to bitch about something?

Well, Flash's scene with alcohol on a plane was kinda confusing for me in that aspect. He was clearly enjoying his right to have a drink when MJ told stewardess he was "technically a 16 years old". If he was blipped, then he was definitely 16, like the rest of them, and I have no idea where the idea of him having a drink could come from in the first place. And if he wasn't, then he would be 21 and no longer in their class, right?

6 hours ago, red snow said:

What annoys me is they introduced the 5 year blip in the first place. If you aren't going to acknowledge it, don't introduce it. Far easier to just have Stark preserve his daughter and wife's memories of the last 5 years (and maybe the surviving avengers) but reset for everyone else.

Stark did not fix the blip. Hulk did. I will harp on this point forever!

Edit: also, I see people bring up Starks daughter all the time, but I'm pretty sure more then 1 person was born in the 5 years in between there. Erasing all that would kind of be, like, mass murder.

They finally fixed one of the biggest annoyances about superhero movies in general by actually having a reason for the cartoony, special effects fight scene at the end.  Good job for that.  Otherwise Beck was an underwhelming villain, very poor motivation for mass murderyness, although I guess there’s an argument that any normal behaviour is kind of out the window in the MCU at this point.

It was a fun, fresh feeling film in general.  The jokes were ok, the stunts were ok, but they were elevated by the fact that you don’t often see stuff like that.  The cast was great too.  I don’t know whether Zendaya just lucked into this role that’s perfect for her, because I haven’t seen her in anything else, but if she can perform as well as she seems to be able to, she’s going to be an absolute superstar.

3 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Why don't you complain about the unreasonable odds of every one of Peter's primary relationships getting blipped if you're looking to bitch about something?

Not that unreasonable, it’s like three people.

I wanted to bitch about how reasonable it is for Happy Hogan to be dating Peter’s much younger aunt but then I found out Marissa Tomei is two years older than John Favreau.  Wtf!

4 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I'm not sure what people complaining about the blip want. There's significant time spent on it in the first act. Arguably the entire first act is a response to the blip... it's a fucking Spiderman movie not a documentary on the effects of time distortion.

Totally agree, worth noting as well that they weren’t specific on how much time had past. I took it to be that Endgame concluded somewhere around the start of the school holidays and then they had the summer to get back to some kind of normality. Nothing particular unbelievable happened for the characters we saw, they would definitely return to school, and we can assume governments and what not are dealing with some heavy shit that isn’t in the remit of this film.

Archived