Spiderman: Far From Home, Near to Spoilers

Rhom

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Stark did not fix the blip. Hulk did. I will harp on this point forever!

Edit: also, I see people bring up Starks daughter all the time, but I'm pretty sure more then 1 person was born in the 5 years in between there. Erasing all that would kind of be, like, mass murder.

Stark insisted on not erasing the 5 years though which I think is where the confusion often occurs.

All the collateral damage from the snap would also be mass murder and may outweigh those that were born over 5 years. Also preventing a timeline occurring isn't so much mass murder as it would have never happened. Fortunately in the MCU the repurcussions of the Avengers "fix" worked out hunky dory so it's all good. I guess there maybe is a timeline out there where they did erase the 5 year post snap reality.

But yes, I'll admit I'm wrong in Stark only using the glove to destroy Thanos.

3 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

Well, Flash's scene with alcohol on a plane was kinda confusing for me in that aspect. He was clearly enjoying his right to have a drink when MJ told stewardess he was "technically a 16 years old". If he was blipped, then he was definitely 16, like the rest of them, and I have no idea where the idea of him having a drink could come from in the first place. And if he wasn't, then he would be 21 and no longer in their class, right?

He might have "just been on the plane" as far as the staff were concerned?

4 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I'm not sure what people complaining about the blip want. There's significant time spent on it in the first act. Arguably the entire first act is a response to the blip... it's a fucking Spiderman movie not a documentary on the effects of time distortion. Why don't you complain about the unreasonable odds of every one of Peter's primary relationships getting blipped if you're looking to bitch about something?

Endgame was the movie you got about the post-snap, what-the-fuck-more do you people think you're entitled to?

This is my point - the spidey film should have just been him dealing with Mysterio while on tour around europe. But because Endgame didn't follow up on how they defeated Thanos and this was the first post endgame film, they had to dedicate time to cleaning up some of Endgame's mess. I don't blame the writer/director for going "and now it's the same as it always was" but I do think it's a flaw with the MCU when a film has to spend 20 minutes dealing with another film before getting on with its own.

The re-release of Endgame 2 weeks ago should have had an extra 20 minutes dealing with this and freeing Spider-man from having to address it.

20 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

So many drones, man.  With that many drones you'd lose like 35% of your drone fleet every time out just from all the collisions.   That's why Edith was stocked with 35,000,000 of the things, enough to last the whole Summer long

Maybe all those drones were keeping the 50% of the remaining population alive over those 5 years by helping out with crowd control/riots, farming, emergency services etc so that the intervening 5 years were actually a breeze beyond the loss of friends, family etc.

I found it a bit worrying how stark had control over a network with kill functions that could assassinate anyone on the planet. Again, maybe one way of forcing everyone to stay in line for 5 years.

24 minutes ago, red snow said:

I found it a bit worrying how stark had control over a network with kill functions that could assassinate anyone on the planet. Again, maybe one way of forcing everyone to stay in line for 5 years.

Now that you mention it isn't that exactly what Cap and Fury were trying to prevent in Winter Soldier? 

Just now, RumHam said:

Now that you mention it isn't that exactly what Cap and Fury were trying to prevent in Winter Soldier? 

Tony was always a little... tyrannical. I think that was part of Jake Gyllenhaal's beef with him.

2 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

. I took it to be that Endgame concluded somewhere around the start of the school holidays and then they had the summer to get back to some kind of normality.

Nope.  The Unsnappening brought the band members back in the middle of a basketball game.  High school basketball season ends in mid March.

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

Sure, but the issue was not the tool, but who was wielding it. I mean it's always about that right? Who has the doomsday device not whether a doomsday device should exist. It's all just a metaphor for the nukes. The good guys don't want anyone else to have nukes, but the good guys can have nukes, to keep the peace and they know they will use them responsibly. The only problem is everyone thinks they're the good guy, and they all claim that they would never use the nukes unless someone else pulled the trigger first.

10 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Totally agree, worth noting as well that they weren’t specific on how much time had past. I took it to be that Endgame concluded somewhere around the start of the school holidays and then they had the summer to get back to some kind of normality. Nothing particular unbelievable happened for the characters we saw, they would definitely return to school, and we can assume governments and what not are dealing with some heavy shit that isn’t in the remit of this film.

I think it was a year and a half after the blip. I’m pretty sure they said at the start despite being halfway through the year those that blipped had to do it again from the start. 

11 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Tony was always a little... tyrannical. I think that was part of Jake Gyllenhaal's beef with him.

A legit beef to have until he decides to control the same tech but i guess what anti-targ says is true about people tending to think it's ok in their hands but not others. Unless your cap, which is why he can pick up mjolnir.

Speaking of that was a deliberate reference where spidey had a shield and a hammer analogue, right? It looked ver cap endgame until they changed camera angles

I enjoyed it.

Tom  Holland is just so darn likeable, he makes me tear up every time anything remotely emotional happens to him.

It was a bit of a waste of Jake Gyllenhaal.  He really is charismatic enough to replace Tony Stark!  A vibe I haven't really got from any of Captain Marvel, Black Panther or Doctor Strange yet.

More Talos please - "People keep asking me where the rest of the Avengers are, and I don't know what to tell them" (best excuse ever - love that this was addressed).

Peter Tingle!   :rofl::rofl::rofl:

34 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

It was a bit of a waste of Jake Gyllenhaal.  He really is charismatic enough to replace Tony Stark!

Oh man, Gyllenhaal in the first half was just soooo likeable. I knew there was a twist coming, but damn if they didn’t do a good job of making Peter giving him the glasses believable.

8 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I enjoyed it.

Tom  Holland is just so darn likeable, he makes me tear up every time anything remotely emotional happens to him.

It was a bit of a waste of Jake Gyllenhaal.  He really is charismatic enough to replace Tony Stark!  A vibe I haven't really got from any of Captain Marvel, Black Panther or Doctor Strange yet.

More Talos please - "People keep asking me where the rest of the Avengers are, and I don't know what to tell them" (best excuse ever - love that this was addressed).

I wonder if Captain Marvel 2 will be set in the past where she and Talos are fighting the Kree. I can't see them doing much with Captain Marvel without Talos, he was so great in the first movie, and clearly they wpould not have him in Spider Man if they didn't have plans for him to be a regular in the MCU. She seems to be part of the cosmic MCU so is not in the running to be a regular appearance on Earth. 

If you think Gyllenhaal was wasted because he's dead, then I don't think he's dead and he'll be back. But if you think he's wasted because he's a villain and not a new legit Avenger, I would disagree. A big complaint in the past is weak villains in the MCU, but now we have Mysterio and Vulture, unfortunate they are Spiderverse villains and Disney would need to negotiate to use them in the wider MCU. But a returning roster of good villains is nice to have.. I also want Ultron back. He had to have made himself a backup somewhere.

Oh my, I might be the only one in the multiverse who wasn't terribly entertained by most anything that went on.

I like Zendaya as MJ but there are times when Holland's version of Peter exasperates me and I just wasn't interested in whatever teeny romantic plans he was blathering about (I know they're at the age where they're supposed to do that but I just didn't care that much) And It wouldn't be unreasonable of me to think I was the only one suddenly missing Andrew Garfield's  PP and Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy's relationship at this point.

As for Mysterio, well, I was just waiting for him to reveal his true colors, and then he became less interesting. I did however, like the way the Daredevilly way Peter used his tingle  ;) to defeat him.

And I'm not a fan of "Spidey being framed" stories 'cause I felt  itwas overdone in the early comics.  I suppose if J Jonah Jameson is in the picture, he's gonna have something to do with the Scorpion?  And is the MCU is subtly hinting about the Fantastic Four with those elementals?

11 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

I enjoyed it.

I wonder if some of the surviving avengers are also out in space.

2 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

And It wouldn't be unreasonable of me to think I was the only one suddenly missing Andrew Garfield's  PP and Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy's relationship at this point.

I've seen a lot of crazy shit on the internet but I want you to know that you are alone in this. I have never, ever, at any point, seen someone profess affection for those mid-procedure aborted abortions.

People defend LOST. But you're the first I've seen pick this hill.

ETA: emphasis 

I must say there were 2 things that were disappointing: After teasing that this movie is making the multiverse MCU canon it only confirms that it was shit that was dreamed up by one of Beck's minions; Beck had no actual abilities, everything was tech based illusion. I was hoping he'd have some power of his own, it would have been cool if he had the power to create visual illusions but needed the tech to make the illusions physically interact with the world. The MCU has people who are magic, can fly, shoot energy blasts from their hands, survive the vacuum of space, turn into an infinitely strong green monster who is now also a super-genius, do actual illusions (Loki), we even had Extremis in IM3. I guess since Loki has the market cornered on being able to create illusions as a super power, Beck might feel too samey. But some kind of power, other than the gift of the gab, would have been nice.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I must say there were 2 things that were disappointing: After teasing that this movie is making the multiverse MCU canon it only confirms that it was shit that was dreamed up by one of Beck's minions; Beck had no actual abilities, everything was tech based illusion. I was hoping he'd have some power of his own, it would have been cool if he had the power to create visual illusions but needed the tech to make the illusions physically interact with the world. The MCU has people who are magic, can fly, shoot energy blasts from their hands, survive the vacuum of space, turn into an infinitely strong green monster who is now also a super-genius, do actual illusions (Loki), we even had Extremis in IM3. I guess since Loki has the market cornered on being able to create illusions as a super power, Beck might feel too samey. But some kind of power, other than the gift of the gab, would have been nice.

That was the whole point though. He's just a demagogue, he has no other abilities to speak of besides his ability to manipulate what you see.

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

If you think Gyllenhaal was wasted because he's dead, then I don't think he's dead and he'll be back. But if you think he's wasted because he's a villain and not a new legit Avenger, I would disagree. A big complaint in the past is weak villains in the MCU, but now we have Mysterio and Vulture, unfortunate they are Spiderverse villains and Disney would need to negotiate to use them in the wider MCU. But a returning roster of good villains is nice to have.. I also want Ultron back. He had to have made himself a backup somewhere.

Given the tech and the organisation behind him, Beck being dead isn't that much of an obstacle to bringing back Gyllenhaal as Mysterio if they want to.

Archived