Spiderman: Far From Home, Near to Spoilers

Rhom

6 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I did however, like the way the Daredevilly way Peter used his tingle  ;) to defeat him.

Considering he knew what the plan was when he designed the suit, it would’ve been cool if he’d added a mode where the eyes just completely black out and he goes in blind.

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I wonder if Captain Marvel 2 will be set in the past where she and Talos are fighting the Kree. I can't see them doing much with Captain Marvel without Talos, he was so great in the first movie, and clearly they wpould not have him in Spider Man if they didn't have plans for him to be a regular in the MCU. She seems to be part of the cosmic MCU so is not in the running to be a regular appearance on Earth. 

I think they have to include Talos too (which is great), because this film is set - what? - 20+ years after Captain Marvel, and he is helping out Nick Fury on Earth.  I guess Carol asked him to (because if Fury has had close working relations with the Skrulls all these years that raises questions), and that means she and Talos have stayed in contact all this time.  Where was the real Hill during all this?

If you think Gyllenhaal was wasted because he's dead, then I don't think he's dead and he'll be back. But if you think he's wasted because he's a villain and not a new legit Avenger, I would disagree. A big complaint in the past is weak villains in the MCU, but now we have Mysterio and Vulture, unfortunate they are Spiderverse villains and Disney would need to negotiate to use them in the wider MCU. But a returning roster of good villains is nice to have.. I also want Ultron back. He had to have made himself a backup somewhere.

I would have liked Jake Gyllenhaal as a legit Avenger, because this was the first time I saw a charismatic leader in the MCU who could replace Cap or Tony.  But Mysterio probably can't be a legit Avenger - unless someone brainwashes him, I suppose. Maybe someone can give him genuine powers as well - not that Tony needed them.

I think Marvel have had some really great villains like Loki, Stane, Ultron (should have done more with hi,m, I agree - in fact he could have fit in well here with ex-Stark employees), Hela, Vulture, Thanos, and I hope Mordo will be great too.   They keep killing them off! 

As much as I liked the callbacks, I kind of wish Mysterio et al had not been yet more disgruntled ex-employees of Stark Industries.  I feel the Blip and ensuing chaos could have created some interesting Avengers-hating or Avengers-wannabe villains.

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I wonder if some of the surviving avengers are also out in space.

With Fury?  I do wonder what he was doing out there.  I doubt it was just to enjoy the "magical place".

3 hours ago, Denvek said:

Given the tech and the organisation behind him, Beck being dead isn't that much of an obstacle to bringing back Gyllenhaal as Mysterio if they want to.

There was the quick scene of the guy with the laptop taking the thumb drive and bugging out of there.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

There was the quick scene of the guy with the laptop taking the thumb drive and bugging out of there.

I assume it was him who gave the footage to JJJ

6 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

With Fury?  I do wonder what he was doing out there.  I doubt it was just to enjoy the "magical place".

That may have been S.W.O.R.D. They should finally have the rights for that, especially since they already have the Skrulls.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

That may have been S.W.O.R.D. They should finally have the rights for that, especially since they already have the Skrulls.

Looks like Skrulls are going to play a big part in Phase 4. At the very least, they should be able to fix Peter's doxxing.

Was pleasantly surprised by this. Although my favourite moment was the 'Eurotrip' in the Netherlands scene. My friends and I were dieing of laughter :lmao:

13 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Considering he knew what the plan was when he designed the suit, it would’ve been cool if he’d added a mode where the eyes just completely black out and he goes in blind.

Right now, I'm just wondering why he's tingle didn't go off in the first place when he first met Mysterio boy.

17 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I've seen a lot of crazy shit on the internet but I want you to know that you are alone in this. I have never, ever, at any point, seen someone profess affection for those mid-procedure aborted abortions.

People defend LOST. But you're the first I've seen pick this hill.

ETA: emphasis 

Oh good, and here I thought I was being megalomaniacal when I thought I was alone in that. :P

Actually, not quite, there were a few posters here that liked the Peter & Gwen part of those films but I shan't name names 'cause I don't wanna embarrass them.

Also, I forgot who they were.

Toby spiderman was like a really showy guy from Iowa.   Garfield spiderman was like an homage to every guy who ever played soccer in Massachusets.   MCU spiderman feels like a more down home guy than the others.... homely guy from NYC.  Which sort of makes the movies feel smaller.   Like you're watching the video diary of some dude.   

Garfield and Stone did the awkward dialogue very well.  But it didn’t work as well with their characterisations, since they were both depicted as pretty cool, especially Gwen but also Peter as this emo skater guy.

MJ and Holland Peter are dorky anyway, so their awkward stuff fitted better. If anything, I thought it was a little too awkward to be believable. You’re 16, kiss properly. Sheesh.

Of course, unlike Garfield and Stone, Holland and Zendaya actually look like they could be teenagers, which helps.

I think Garfield made a better spider-man (Oh no, you found my weakness, small knives). He had good comic delivery and snark and had the taunting down well. But I think he sucked as Peter Parker. Stone as Gwen was great, and the two of them together was nice, but I attribute that mostly to her.

Maguire did better as Parker, but only just, and only in the first movie. And he was horrible with MJ. I like Dunst, but the two of them looked like they weren't even in the same scenes. And Maguire's spidey was bleh.

Holland does the best job as Parker. Constantly bewildered, young, often confused and making odd choices, and does a better job of trying to separate out his normal life from his alter ego. So far he's been way too reluctant as Spidey though, and there's none of that thrill that Maguire had in being able to do these totally awesome things. It's too begrudging and forced, and Spidey should be on some level fun. 

Into the Spider-Verse did the best job of having a cocky Spider-Man who has fun while kicking ass, a bewildered Miles Morales who also loves being Spider man but takes his responsibility seriously, and that hint of wanting a somewhat normal life (from Peter and Miles and even Gwen). It's one of the reasons it's the best, IMO - it balances all of it better than anything previously. 

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, being a good Gwen Stacy isn't that hard, considering her defining traits are she was that blonde chick SpiderMan dated that died once.

That was way back in the day. That's been changed quite a bit since. And it doesn't really matter - what matters is that she was good in the movie as Parker's love interest. They worked well together. Most everything else wasn't very special, but they were actually fun and good and had a lot of chemistry. 

And while I think Zendaya is awesome and Holland is great, there's no real chemistry there yet. I'm happy to see both of them do whatever they want to, but Garfield and Stone had a much more compelling and watchable pairing. 

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

That was way back in the day. That's been changed quite a bit since. And it doesn't really matter - what matters is that she was good in the movie as Parker's love interest. They worked well together. Most everything else wasn't very special, but they were actually fun and good and had a lot of chemistry. 

And while I think Zendaya is awesome and Holland is great, there's no real chemistry there yet. I'm happy to see both of them do whatever they want to, but Garfield and Stone had a much more compelling and watchable pairing. 

Has it? I;m not aware of any Gwen Stacy stuff since, though I completely ignored ultimate marvel when it existed, so I dunno. I mean, I just find some fans obsession over Gwen Stacy to be kind of funny, considering one of the reasons they decided to kill her was she was boring.

9 hours ago, Kalbear said:

So far he's been way too reluctant as Spidey though, and there's none of that thrill that Maguire had in being able to do these totally awesome things. It's too begrudging and forced, and Spidey should be on some level fun. 

Yes, agreed.  Marvel Spider-Man seems stressed most of the time, doing things under pressure because he has to.  Part of it is because they’re deliberately avoiding the usual environments to make the films seem different. He’s always talking about being a friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man but he doesn’t do much of it onscreen.

That scene that was in the Far From Home trailer, with Spidey taking down the crime syndicate as part of his pre vacation to do list, dancing around the restaurant webbing up bad guys and bantering with the cops after.  That felt like exactly what you’re talking about.  Shame they cut it.

edit - another thing with the Marvel Spidey, he hardly ever punches people, he only ever webs them up.  What’s up with that? Is that like a Marvel directive?  Spider-Man should be punching people.

10 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I think Garfield made a better spider-man (Oh no, you found my weakness, small knives). He had good comic delivery and snark and had the taunting down well. But I think he sucked as Peter Parker. Stone as Gwen was great, and the two of them together was nice, but I attribute that mostly to her.

Maguire did better as Parker, but only just, and only in the first movie. And he was horrible with MJ. I like Dunst, but the two of them looked like they weren't even in the same scenes. And Maguire's spidey was bleh.

Holland does the best job as Parker. Constantly bewildered, young, often confused and making odd choices, and does a better job of trying to separate out his normal life from his alter ego. So far he's been way too reluctant as Spidey though, and there's none of that thrill that Maguire had in being able to do these totally awesome things. It's too begrudging and forced, and Spidey should be on some level fun. 

Into the Spider-Verse did the best job of having a cocky Spider-Man who has fun while kicking ass, a bewildered Miles Morales who also loves being Spider man but takes his responsibility seriously, and that hint of wanting a somewhat normal life (from Peter and Miles and even Gwen). It's one of the reasons it's the best, IMO - it balances all of it better than anything previously. 

I agree with most of this. Garfield had the snark and confidence down of spidey but this crossed over into his portrayal of parker who seemed to be one of the cool kids or at least the cool outsider.

Holland does come across as the most child-like and is definitely the one who seems to mess up the most. McGuire is probably the best on average in terms of playing both. Obviously it's mostly down to the writing. I think it also makes a difference how holland Spidey is the first in the MCU where he's next generation superhero which i think explains his fanboy behaviour and lack of spidey confidence.

It also feels like the writing for MCU spidey is a few years younger than the mcguire and Garfield ones.

Archived