Spiderman: Far From Home, Near to Spoilers

Rhom

I just got back from it, pretty damn great. Nailed Mysterio for me, I don't think they could have done him much better, and good that they added how much it shook Peter.

The Aussie Skrulls are back!

Not a fan of Peter Parker's identity being widely known, hopefully they know where they're going with this.

Nice to see JK Simmons.

We accidentally booked this weird viewing experience, where some scenes were extended onto the walls of the cinema. It was bloody awful, it kept drawing your attention from the focus of the frame.

14 hours ago, RumHam said:

I would think a good lawyer could probably get anyone who was declared legally dead by their family over that five year period off.

There's also the question about whether the time they've served is measured as it was for the people who didn't snap, or as the snapped prisoners experienced it.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with peter being known as spider-man. I guess it isn't as much of an issue in the MCU where the majority of avengers seem to be known. It's only spidey and the Netflix characters who seem to have secret identities.

Even in the Netflix shows it is only really Matt that has the secret identity. Luke and Jessica use their own names and everyone knows who the Punisher is. I guess that the general public doesn't know about Danny either, despite the fact that he seems to tell every single person he meets that he's the immortal Iron Fist.

28 minutes ago, williamjm said:

There's also the question about whether the time they've served is measured as it was for the people who didn't snap, or as the snapped prisoners experienced it.

Even in the Netflix shows it is only really Matt that has the secret identity. Luke and Jessica use their own names and everyone knows who the Punisher is. I guess that the general public doesn't know about Danny either, despite the fact that he seems to tell every single person he meets that he's the immortal Iron Fist.

so even the vigilante style heroes aren't much affected by their identity being known.

I guess for Peter it could/will screw his school life. I can't imagine schools would be too keen on him being around.

Or they take it in a completely different direction (after sorting out he's not guilty of using the drones/killing mysterio) and explore how a teenager handles being a superhero celebrity.

if they have him as a fugitive it seems a great way to bring Kraven the Hunter on board.

6 minutes ago, red snow said:

so even the vigilante style heroes aren't much affected by their identity being known.

I guess for Peter it could/will screw his school life. I can't imagine schools would be too keen on him being around.

Or they take it in a completely different direction (after sorting out he's not guilty of using the drones/killing mysterio) and explore how a teenager handles being a superhero celebrity.

if they have him as a fugitive it seems a great way to bring Kraven the Hunter on board.

I think he's gonna be exonerated by the authorities but all of JJJ Jr's followers will rabidly believe and propagate that he did it. I imagine the opening scenes of the next one will feature him walking around like normal in school but when he goes outside there are people screaming at him and calling him a murderer.

56 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I think he's gonna be exonerated by the authorities but all of JJJ Jr's followers will rabidly believe and propagate that he did it. I imagine the opening scenes of the next one will feature him walking around like normal in school but when he goes outside there are people screaming at him and calling him a murderer.

They could easily do JJJ as a petty tyrant who won't accept when he's wrong and treat Spidey as a personal vendetta. Ads everywhere in NYC and online portaying spidey as a menace. He could be the marvel version of Trump. Or maybe Trump is the real world version of JJJ?

I'm also interested in seeing how flash responds. I think he'll genuinely feel bad and that his admiration of Spidey will over-ride his bullying of Peter. 

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

in the comics JJJ is pretty much the Marvel Alex Jones.

He's definitely that in the latest video game. I'm not sure how it is in the comics, but in the game JJJ personally financed the enhancement of a person (with the intentrion of taking Spider Man down) who turns out to be a villain (won't spoil who it is), and washes his hands of responsibility by saying he wan't in charge of the selection process.

I thought in the comics he wasn't quite as much of a conspiracy theory whack job as being compared to Alex Jones would suggest.

8 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Agreed.  The argument behind the video falls apart very quickly.  If Spiderman ordered the "execute" command after murdering Mysterio, who stopped the drones?  It doesn't make any sense.  And the authorities will know that Spiderman's friends were targeted, and so was Nick Fury.  They'll be able to track what happened with the commands as well, and what happened in Germany.  They're hardly going to spend any time at all.  

So anyone paying attention will be able to know the video isn't legit.  Which won't of course stop the conspiracy theorists.  I too am curious to see how Marvel play it.  But it almost feels like the next movie needs to follow the other one chronologically almost immediately.  

2 minutes ago, ants said:

Agreed.  The argument behind the video falls apart very quickly.  If Spiderman ordered the "execute" command after murdering Mysterio, who stopped the drones?  It doesn't make any sense.  And the authorities will know that Spiderman's friends were targeted, and so was Nick Fury.  They'll be able to track what happened with the commands as well, and what happened in Germany.  They're hardly going to spend any time at all.  

So anyone paying attention will be able to know the video isn't legit.  Which won't of course stop the conspiracy theorists.  I too am curious to see how Marvel play it.  But it almost feels like the next movie needs to follow the other one chronologically almost immediately.  

Ooh, Spidey having to clear his name could be a fun setup for a movie but JJJ jr refuses to accept the evidence. You have built-in scenes of Parker stopping a flight from the law to help cops or endangered citizens then having to talk them into letting him go, that's some make-a-drama straight outta the box.

I think it'd be a great opportunity for some non-linear storytelling too. The Spidey movies are the least formulaic of the Marvel films, and they could really swing for the fences here.

19 minutes ago, ants said:

While the movie sorta ignores that there are more living Avengers / avenger-adjacent heroes than Thor and Captain Marvel, there are. It's hard to imagine that any of them would be convinced the kid was evil based on that video. 

also Deepfakes. I dread the day where that becomes the "fake news" of video evidence, but I'm sure someone's already made a version of that footage where spider-man is nick cage. 

I'm sure it's gonna be more of a "Spider-Man did 9-11" / "The moon landing was faked" thing. Some percentage of people will always believe it, and they tend to be very passionate about their beliefs. And there's almost no chance of convincing them they're wrong because the delusion is somehow central to their self-worth. 

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

He's definitely that in the latest video game. I'm not sure how it is in the comics, but in the game JJJ personally financed the enhancement of a person (with the intentrion of taking Spider Man down) who turns out to be a villain (won't spoil who it is), and washes his hands of responsibility by saying he wan't in charge of the selection process.

I thought in the comics he wasn't quite as much of a conspiracy theory whack job as being compared to Alex Jones would suggest.

Oh yeah I am thinking of the game, though spider man in the comics now is just batshit insane to the point I don’t know what’s canon anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got around to watching this and it was a big meh from me. It was like a bit of a nothing burger.

Even though I wasn't too hot on the film, I'll start with stuff I liked - I think Holland is really good as spiderman, and even though I'm not the biggest fan of the rest of the cast around him, I think him, Zendaya & Jake Gyllenhaal are all really good. I also really liked the scene between Happy & Peter in the plane where he talked about how Iron Man made mistakes etc, I think that was one of the few emotional beats that kinda stuck with me.

Unfortunately, this movie joins a bunch of other marvel movies where I literally don't give a fuck about anyone except Peter - the writing just isn't good enough to make me care about anyone else, and neither are the other characters particularly memorable. Also, the action is just a bunch of CGI noise that is quite boring and not even slightly inventive. The only thing I'll remember from the action is the peter tingle thingy they had at the end, I thought that was pretty well done. Lastly, the humour didn't work on me at all, especially the bits with the teachers.

I just want to watch superhero films where I care about the characters & that make me feel something as opposed to 6/10 films that are entirely forgettable. I'm not the biggest superhero guy, so I realize that these films probably work better for people that are big fans of marvel & spiderman.

Archived