Spiderman: Far From Home, Near to Spoilers

Rhom

3 hours ago, john said:

That scene that was in the Far From Home trailer, with Spidey taking down the crime syndicate as part of his pre vacation to do list, dancing around the restaurant webbing up bad guys and bantering with the cops after.  That felt like exactly what you’re talking about.  Shame they cut it.

There's something, I dunno if they're calling it a "one shot" or what, called Peter's List that I guess will be on the blu-ray? But I'm sure that scene will be in it. 

Edit:

"Yeah, both of those are actually part of the same montage which is 'Peter's To-Do List.' It's all the things he has to do before he goes on the trip, which are going to Delmar's to get a dual headphone adaptor and one of those European travel plugs, he has to go to a pawn shop to sell his Star Wars toys to get money for the trip, he has to pick up his passport, and he has to take down this giant crime syndicate. That's just the to-do list for someone like him but that will be its own little short film that we're going to put on the Blu-ray. There are some good deleted scenes."

Personally I never liked Toby in Spiderman, but I thought Garfield was a great Spiderman. Like Kalbear said, he had the comic delivery and taunting down very well. The first ASM was pretty good IMO, but Sony dropped the ball with ASM2, mostly because they wanted to set up their own universe way too much with that movie so they crammed everything they could in it, never stopping once to think if they should.  

Holland is great as Peter, and also as Spiderman. He has that charisma that I think Garfield kinda lacked ? Also Garfield's Peter was way too confident, or maybe that's just me... My problem with Holland's Spiderman is that he doesn't really feel like Spiderman (not him personally, but the way the story makes it feel). The first time we saw him in Civil War he was great. In Homecoming, it felt like anybody (in universe) could be in the suit and nothing would change. After all, Tony Stark gave him the suit and it was basically Iron Man with webs, and I feel it cheaped him a little bit. It felt like all the things that makes Spiderman well, spidey, weren't there.

I also fear given the way they're setting up the next one that we aren't going to get the fun and neighborhood thing going for spidey. One of the things that spidey was is a man of the city, a hometown hero. Maguire did this really well. Holland so far really hasn't, and this is just going to ostracize him more. 

10 hours ago, john said:

Yes, agreed.  Marvel Spider-Man seems stressed most of the time, doing things under pressure because he has to.  Part of it is because they’re deliberately avoiding the usual environments to make the films seem different. He’s always talking about being a friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man but he doesn’t do much of it onscreen.

That scene that was in the Far From Home trailer, with Spidey taking down the crime syndicate as part of his pre vacation to do list, dancing around the restaurant webbing up bad guys and bantering with the cops after.  That felt like exactly what you’re talking about.  Shame they cut it.

edit - another thing with the Marvel Spidey, he hardly ever punches people, he only ever webs them up.  What’s up with that? Is that like a Marvel directive?  Spider-Man should be punching people.

One thing about having scenes in the trailer that aren't in the movie is whether you can regard them as canon? Can we assume that restaurant scene happened within the story, and that he was pally and chummy with the cops? It kind of has implications for Spidey 3 / next Avengers as to whether cops are all united against him, or all united for him, or a mix depending on whether the cop concerned has actually met and worked with him.

I do think Talos is going to debunk the truth pretty early on. But we all know that debunking anything (even debunking lies) still leaves the conspiratorially minded believing that a fast one has been pulled. And in this case they'll be 100% right. So JJJ will never accept PP isn't Spidey and he'll rant like a looney about it, but he'll be right all along. Is one way they could go with his character. Or "they" will get to JJJ and convince him to back off on the identity thing while he continues the line of Spidey being dodgy. Or something else entirely.

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I also fear given the way they're setting up the next one that we aren't going to get the fun and neighborhood thing going for spidey. One of the things that spidey was is a man of the city, a hometown hero. Maguire did this really well. Holland so far really hasn't, and this is just going to ostracize him more. 

This characterisation of Spider Man would have made him kind of ideal for the Marvel Netflix treatment. I don't think the general MCU audience really cares all that much. Though they should drop the "friendly neighbourhood Spider Man" refrain if they aren't going to make him that.

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Yep, McGuire’s Spidey certainly nailed the friendly neighbourhood hero. Is it 2 where he is passed back by the crowd? 

I really need to rewatch those now

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

One thing about having scenes in the trailer that aren't in the movie is whether you can regard them as canon? Can we assume that restaurant scene happened within the story, and that he was pally and chummy with the cops? It kind of has implications for Spidey 3 / next Avengers as to whether cops are all united against him, or all united for him, or a mix depending on whether the cop concerned has actually met and worked with him.

Since they're using these scenes in a short film on the blu-ray I'd imagine they're canon. At least until they decide to contradict them later on. But even the movies are only really canon until they decide to change things. 

I was thinking, if Vulture wasn't blipped, he may actually be getting out of jail soon.  By my memory although the audience knew he'd killed people, the authorities didn't and wouldn't have been able to prove it.  So all he has is robbery and assault, and one of the main witnesses against him (spiderman) may not have even testified against him.  If he has a good lawyer (likely) he can also probably argue that the suit was for transportation and not a weapon, and therefore he wasn't even armed at the time.

So if he wasn't snapped, five years with good behaviour could see him out of jail.  Would be interesting to know if his daughter was snapped or not! 

I'd also point out that it is interesting the conflicting desires in this thread.  Some want Spidey to be more happy go lucky.  Others curse the film for not spending time showing the devastation of the people snapping back! :P

If Far from Home doesn't cross $1Bn, apparently Marvel / Disney gets cut out of co-production on Spidey 3. Or at least Sony gets the option of taking back sole control. I wonder if Sony would pull that trigger?

33 minutes ago, ants said:

I was thinking, if Vulture wasn't blipped, he may actually be getting out of jail soon.  By my memory although the audience knew he'd killed people, the authorities didn't and wouldn't have been able to prove it.  So all he has is robbery and assault, and one of the main witnesses against him (spiderman) may not have even testified against him.  If he has a good lawyer (likely) he can also probably argue that the suit was for transportation and not a weapon, and therefore he wasn't even armed at the time.

I would think a good lawyer could probably get anyone who was declared legally dead by their family over that five year period off. 

One thing that confuses me, on the student news thing Betty seems to be complaining about taking midterms twice. But she was snapped, no? I know she was in the first movie. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

One thing that confuses me, on the student news thing Betty seems to be complaining about taking midterms twice. But she was snapped, no? I know she was in the first movie. 

She was saying that they didn't get to come back in the school term right where they left off, and so they had already taken midterms and then have to take the same ones over again because of when they came back, and how unfair that was. Basically they had to restart their entire term. 

24 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

If Far from Home doesn't cross $1Bn, apparently Marvel / Disney gets cut out of co-production on Spidey 3. Or at least Sony gets the option of taking back sole control. I wonder if Sony would pull that trigger?

I looks like it will hit that mark anyway, but I don't think they would at this point. I think the people at Sony realize having Spidey in the MCU is a win-win. They mostly just want to be able to put this incredibly popular iteration of Spider-Man in Venom II and their other spider-adjacent anti-hero movies they plan to make. Having him continue to appear in the Marvel Studios movies only benefits them. I think in the end Marvel will agree and it's just similar to their current "Deadpool" problem. Do you integrate a property you had no control of that sorta breaks the tone of your universe? or just have two interpretations of the character with the same actor going concurrently.

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

She was saying that they didn't get to come back in the school term right where they left off, and so they had already taken midterms and then have to take the same ones over again because of when they came back, and how unfair that was. Basically they had to restart their entire term. 

Gotcha, thanks. 

38 minutes ago, ants said:

So if he wasn't snapped, five years with good behaviour could see him out of jail.  Would be interesting to know if his daughter was snapped or not! 

I'd also point out that it is interesting the conflicting desires in this thread.  Some want Spidey to be more happy go lucky.  Others curse the film for not spending time showing the devastation of the people snapping back! :P

I've often thought I'd be a fantastic defense attorney in a comic world. The writ of habeas corpus and the confrontation clause are still precedent of this land, and I'll have my client back on the streets by the end of the week! Mr. Rhino is the victim of a masked vigilante and I demand justice!!!

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

I would think a good lawyer could probably get anyone who was declared legally dead by their family over that five year period off. 

They made it through half the school year, no? Mid-terms happen halfway through the semester, which is a quarter of the year.

8 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I've often thought I'd be a fantastic defense attorney in a comic world. The writ of habeas corpus and the confrontation clause are still precedent of this land, and I'll have my client back on the streets by the end of the week! Mr. Rhino is the victim of a masked vigilante and I demand justice!!!

They made it through half the school year, no? Mid-terms happen halfway through the semester, which is a quarter of the year.

Yeah, I read it as "these people came back and they made us start the year over" 

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, I read it as "these people came back and they made us start the year over" 

I was the same. We don’t have midterms in Australia, so that complicated it. 

8 hours ago, ants said:

Would be interesting to know if his daughter was snapped or not! 

His daughter was MJ wasn’t she?!!?  So, yes she was snapped.

Like... you’ve got me really confused by this question and have me questioning what I remember about HC.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

His daughter was MJ wasn’t she?!!?  So, yes she was snapped.

Like... you’ve got me really confused by this question and have me questioning what I remember about HC.

I was confused as well for a moment.  No...his daughter was not MJ.  His daughter was Liz:

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Liz_Toomes

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Oooooooh yeah... see, I will admit that I forgot all about her. :blushing: 

Maybe they were adapting the "one more day" storyline and made us all forget.

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with peter being known as spider-man. I guess it isn't as much of an issue in the MCU where the majority of avengers seem to be known. It's only spidey and the Netflix characters who seem to have secret identities.

Archived