Workable Alcoholism

Jace, Extat

Is defined by Jace as "a state of moderate to severe intoxication sought as dampner against increasingly incoherent idiocy".

Now the question remains whether this is a perfect system of information management or whether I just need to starve and/or murder enough people that no one dares disagree. 

I've always defined myself as a functional alcoholic.  And I have been.  Honestly, I don't think I've ever taught entirely sober.  Maybe a few times, and they were probably some of my worst lectures.  When I started I needed a little liquid courage, and it dovetailed from that.  I drink while researching and writing as well.  The downside of being a functional alcoholic, though, is that you can very quickly become a non-functional alcoholic.

I always used to get high in undergrad writing papers.  I thought it made me a better writer (although I doubt it actually did).  Once I started with statistical analysis, though, no you can't be high when writing that.  Or if you are it's a waste of weed.

Eww alcoholism on its own is gross.  If you're getting stoned though and muching some shrooms here and there I am totally on board.  I'll chalk this one up to [you being] up for some alcohol lobbyist job and you know they're going to dig up this fucking website.  Quick, plug ethanol additives in gasoline for some bonus points.

30 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Fascinating that the alcoholism thread attracts (exclusively?) shroomers when shrooms are now being explored heavily as alcoholism treatment.  The spirit of the universe works in serene ways, does it not?

I have seen this and I gotta say...whenever I ate shrooms, they certainly did not help me quell my alcoholism.  That's just me though, not saying it's wrong generally or anything.

I'm just saying whenever I tripped, it radically heightened my urge for booze and weed.  Like, extremely.  I could and did drink a handle during 8 hours of tripping.  But again, that's just me.

3 hours ago, Triskele said:

I feel like the basic gist of what I've seen, and I don't mean this like I've combed the scientific lit myself but rather just grazed the internet, is that it's in the whole Michael Pollan realm of how to change one's mind and that shrooms are one of those options.  But everyone seems to throw out the * about how it's best done with a trained pro, etc...

"Me and my friend have been hanging out off the coast of St. Bartz, tripping with spider monkeys.   Changed our whole perspective on shit."  

Haven't you been smoking peyote for days straight?  I've never even been to Mt Vesuvius.

This topic makes me very sad.

I have never witnessed a single person helping his / her career by being addict of anything.  Just the opposite.

I am thinking right now particularly of a very well respected literary fiction writer, who is the head of a creative writing program at a prestigious university.  His books for the last few years are coming hardly at all, and when they do, they are. well, awful. But with his rep, established before he became an alkie, his fellow white male colleagues, whether other academics, writers and reviewers, have gathered around him and still gush.  His old rep keeps the enrollees in his program coming -- and the starry-eyed students are just flushing their high interest loan monies down the toilet.

He'd never be able to continue if the enrollees didn't keep showing up for a rep made long ago. So if you haven't gotten a very high level professional reputation already, don't think you're going to get one continuing this way.

Moreover I have seen up close and personal so many very highly talented people ruin their lives this way.  It's heart-breaking.  Not to mention it will kill you, slowly, maybe, but liver disease is a very painful way to go out.  I was with my mother over her year + dying from liver cancer -- and she was NOT in any way an addict of anything except working too hard.  One just doesn't, well, want to put this on friends and family -- though in her case, it wasn't her fault.  It happened. Perhaps due to all the toxic chemicals that are part of farming now?

End of lecture.

Boy, way to kill everyone's buzz.  <JK>

I would agree, though.  The percentage of folks who will not succumb to the siren song of altered consciousness are definitely few and far between, and the road to hell is paved with . . .  well, you know the rest.

12 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Boy, way to kill everyone's buzz.  <JK>

I would agree, though.  The percentage of folks who will not succumb to the siren song of altered consciousness are definitely few and far between, and the road to hell is paved with . . .  well, you know the rest.

We all (almost) participate in having some beers while dancing our brains out, wine with intense conversation and dinner with friends, and "mystical altered consciousness."  Nobody's against that.  Are they?

I've done shrooms once, and weed a few dozen times, and I really didn't like it. No altered consciousness for me. In truth, most of the time the weed didn't do much of anything except give me a headache.

Now alcohol, that I like a lot. But I've got my limits and I really don't like getting actually drunk. Give me three way-too-expensive but extremely delicious cocktails over the course of two-and-a-half hours at any of the gentrified bars around here and I'm good. Or three Jamesons and gingers at the rare dive bars that still exist.

But no beer sadly. Hops give me heartburn.

Become independently wealthy. Cut off all ties with friends and family. Sequester your self on your own real-estate, perhaps with armed guards and dogs with bees coming out of their mouths. Lobby politicians, spread bribes to get on the liver transplant waiting list. Now enjoy, much like Strand and his wine cellar. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Clearly you're not a fan of this thing called music.

That is preposterous to equate loving, being immensely talented and giving music your all with being an addict.  It's called being an artist. 

Alas so many idiots equate being artist with being drunk or etc.  Those who did take a lot of drugs -- often to deal with performance anxiety, and later, the pain from what gyrations they put their knees etc. through on stage, generally all died before their time.  Look at even Prince and  Michael Jackson.

If, otoh, you're referring to Keith Richards -- nobody else survived that.  He shouldn't have either.  And he'll say so.  And if he hadn't been a very rich famous person he wouldn't have either.

Don't even try to bring up my guy, Willie Nelson, either.  he loves his pot but he's never incapacitated, not after how he learned that other drugs and alcohol, separately and in combo, destroyed his capacity to keep writing, and screwed him up on stage.

You learn these lessons, or you die.  Like Waylon Jennings did, very horribly and for a long span of time..

I know a whole of musicians up close and personal, and whole lot of them are bold face names so just -- well, don't bother to try and one-up me in this area!  :laugh:

Yah, a whole lot of 'em love their muggles.  It doesn't interfere, coz they don't drink and do other drugs too.

Well, I've heard tell there are plenty of writers whose books even now are famous and required reading in schools in the English-speaking world who imbibed PLENTY.  Of course, they gave their lives for it eventually, but while they were alive and kicking they produced some great work.

Please know that I'm not recommending this manner of inspiration.

Archived