Shakin', Bakin' and Mario Makin': the Mario Maker levels topic

polishgenius

7 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

That is a good solution. Count me in among those generally confused by how the shell helmets work. If you don't want to re-upload the level, when I play again tonight I can leave a comment there giving away what you have to do.

I just decided to re-upload it. I mentioned the hats in the description, but I'm pretty satisfied with my solution. Let me know what you think. 

9ST-OTR-4LG

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

I just decided to re-upload it. I mentioned the hats in the description, but I'm pretty satisfied with my solution. Let me know what you think. 

9ST-OTR-4LG

Very impressive! After thinking about it, I wasn't sure if it was going to even be possible to do a spiked hat tutorial pit, but you figured it out. The level as a whole is great!

Koopa Land (7R9-60G-04G),  a straightforward Mario Bros. level based around koopas and their shells. My goal with this one was to make an easier, fun course; but it's clear rate currently stands at 2/36 (I'm kind of convinced it must be glitching, because even if it's harder than I thought, I don't think it's that hard, and only one death is actually visible when I look at "failure points mode.") Let me know what you think, and if it's too hard.

1 hour ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Very impressive! After thinking about it, I wasn't sure if it was going to even be possible to do a spiked hat tutorial pit, but you figured it out. The level as a whole is great!

Koopa Land (79R-60G-04G),  a straightforward Mario Bros. level based around koopas and their shells. My goal with this one was to make an easier, fun course; but it's clear rate currently stands at 2/36 (I'm kind of convinced it must be glitching, because even if it's harder than I thought, I don't think it's that hard, and only one death is actually visible when I look at "failure points mode.") Let me know what you think, and if it's too hard.

Very nice! I had no idea giant mario could smash blocks like that. One thing though near the end there are pipes with piranha plants coming down and if you're big it's hard to squeeze through. I managed to do it but some people might get stuck. You're at four plays and four likes right now. 

By the way you transposed the second and third digits of the code, it's 7R9-60G-04G.

I churned out another one. SMB ghost house / underwater level. 

1VS-BCR-6QF

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

Very nice! I had no idea giant mario could smash blocks like that. One thing though near the end there are pipes with piranha plants coming down and if you're big it's hard to squeeze through. I managed to do it but some people might get stuck. You're at four plays and four likes right now. 

By the way you transposed the second and third digits of the code, it's 7R9-60G-04G.

I churned out another one. SMB ghost house / underwater level. 

1VS-BCR-6QF

Thanks for the play and feedback! I should have made this more obvious in the level, but if you're big at that point you can jump on top of the blocks and avoid the piranha plants entirely. And woops, will edit my post.

If you want to play a great level that makes good use of the giant mario mechanic, I reccommend 78K-JP3-CYG

I just played underwater ghost house- it's a seriously good level. The segueing in and out of the underwater sections/ghost sections is nice enough, but you've also got one of the best ghost houses I've played in a while. That first thwomp scared the hell out of me, the elevator ghost ride section is great, and it all comes to an excellent climax with that ending, being chased by that thwomp and all the goombas it's carrying along for the ride. Great work. 

Yeah Underwater Ghost House was great!

I'm participating in SA's weekly Mario Maker 2 jam this week. The theme is "You know, for kids." So please enjoy this extremely easy level whose target audience is young children:

Baby Driver

FXN-W0H-8QF

I tried to follow some design principles given the audience:

1. Easy and short, but can't be totally safe or it'll be boring. 

2. No pits or other instant death mechanics. 

3. No difficult enemies. 

4. Should have secrets, but they should be easy to find and have opulent rewards. 

5. Failure state for a jump should be no more harsh than not getting a reward. No pits, no spikes, no falling into enemies. 

Not sure if it's too easy, but better too easy than too hard given the theme. 

3 hours ago, Inigima said:

"You know, for kids."

I assume that's a Hudsucker Proxy reference? I haven't seen that movie in forever but my friends used to quote that line a lot for whatever reason. 

I'll try your level when I get home and maybe try to make one of my own. Maybe something not quite auto-mario but similar and made in a way so it looks a lot harder than it is. I still have a half made Mario 3 level to finish. 

Edit: I wonder if those bouncy circles would be too annoying for children, cause circles for kids fits with the Hudsucker Proxy thing pretty perfectly. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I assume that's a Hudsucker Proxy reference? I haven't seen that movie in forever but my friends used to quote that line a lot for whatever reason. 

I'll try your level when I get home and maybe try to make one of my own. Maybe something not quite auto-mario but similar and made in a way so it looks a lot harder than it is. I still have a half made Mario 3 level to finish. 

Edit: I wonder if those bouncy circles would be too annoying for children, cause circles for kids fits with the Hudsucker Proxy thing pretty perfectly. 

It is a Hudsucker Proxy reference, yeah. I haven't seen it but the guy who posted it said so. 

37 minutes ago, Inigima said:

It is a Hudsucker Proxy reference, yeah. I haven't seen it but the guy who posted it said so. 

In case you're curious:

Throughout the movie Tim Robbin's character has an idea, and repeatedly pitches it to people by just drawing a circle. Then after a few seconds he says "you know, for kids!" Eventually it's revealed that he's the inventor of the hula-hoop.

Check out this level, it isn't mine but it's great.

Metal Man
7RP-63W-1JF

Yes, it's a remake of the Metal Man stage from Mega Man 2. Really a nice job using the available tools to get as close as possible.

New level up:

Tall, Tall Tower

LDF-DN9-41G

Vertical climb where each floor is its own theme. Harder if you don't get any of the (not very well hidden) power-ups, easier if you do. 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

SM3 castle level. Fairly long but I tried to keep things moving. 

BJF-8YG-6MG

This has a really nice flow to it. I actually was below 100 seconds left by the last area, but not about to run out of time. It's well designed, I think the checkpoints are well placed but my only death was before the first one so I can't be sure. As you can see from my time I was pretty slow. I really like this. 

I'm guessing the last enemy is impossible to jump on safely? I didn't tempt fate. 

Another Mario 3 stage.

SKQ-GCQ-L6G

1 hour ago, Inigima said:

This has a really nice flow to it. I actually was below 100 seconds left by the last area, but not about to run out of time. It's well designed, I think the checkpoints are well placed but my only death was before the first one so I can't be sure. As you can see from my time I was pretty slow. I really like this. 

I'm guessing the last enemy is impossible to jump on safely? I didn't tempt fate. 

Thanks. Yeah you'll take damage if you touch the flaming Cheep Cheep. Since I could only have two checkpoints I didn't want a boss that would actually kill many people. 

I'm curious if you found the hidden path in one of the vertical sections? It cuts out a lot of the level but I think I hid it fairly well. 

I've really enjoyed the levels you both have been putting together recently. Cheep Cheep Castle was a lot of fun and very well paced, though I can see some players running out of time before the end; that's not the end of the world because of the checkpoints, though. I didn't find the hidden path.

Tall Tall Tower was also great; some of my deaths on the level with the spiked critters climbing over everything felt slightly cheap, because there's barely any room to jump without hitting them for a lot of that level, but otherwise it's a great theme and idea with a nice level of challenge. 

20 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I didn't find the hidden path. 

If anyone's curious it's in one of the vertical areas, you'll see some of the classic 'big mario can jump and break them" bricks. I think it's the only time I use them in the level. If you've managed to stay big you can break two and a thwomp will bash through the wall to greet you, opening up a much shorter path. 

I've got two more I'm working on. I'm already over halfway to the upload limit, I hope they increase it. I'd be more concerned if Fire Emblem wasn't coming out in like six days. 

Does anyone know if the pink/red coins can be spread across two areas? Also can they be put in hidden blocks? I was thinking of doing a level where the main and sub area were almost the same, with the maximum number of warp pipes connecting them periodically. The idea is you'd try to notice the little differences between the otherwise identical worlds and they would clue you in to hidden blocks with the coins you'd need to get the key. (I don't have my switch with me or I'd test this myself.) 

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

If anyone's curious it's in one of the vertical areas, you'll see some of the classic 'big mario can jump and break them" bricks. I think it's the only time I use them in the level. If you've managed to stay big you can break two and a thwomp will bash through the wall to greet you, opening up a much shorter path. 

I've got two more I'm working on. I'm already over halfway to the upload limit, I hope they increase it. I'd be more concerned if Fire Emblem wasn't coming out in like six days. 

Does anyone know if the pink/red coins can be spread across two areas? Also can they be put in hidden blocks? I was thinking of doing a level where the main and sub area were almost the same, with the maximum number of warp pipes connecting them periodically. The idea is you'd try to notice the little differences between the otherwise identical worlds and they would clue you in to hidden blocks with the coins you'd need to get the key. (I don't have my switch with me or I'd test this myself.) 

You can definitely put the red coins in different areas. One of my favourite level creators has basically made an entire Super Mario World game out of 32 levels- each level except for boss levels have 5 optional red coins spread out across the whole level to unlock a door with many coins and one ups. I'm pretty sure you can put them in hidden blocks too (EDIT: as per Inigma, you can't put them in hidden blocks).

The couple of parallel universe courses i've played have been very fun. I'll be interested to try yours out.

I wish I had as much time as you to make levels. I'm at about one a week now. I love this game so much- if I'd had it as a teenager/university student during summer break, I'd have put so much time into this game.

That's an awesome theme idea. Unfortunately, no, it's impossible, you can't hide red coins in hidden blocks. I've tried. :(

Caligula, it's the level with the wall-jumping? I'm surprised it gave you that much trouble. There are only two Spike Tops and one Spiny, and you can wait for the Spike Tops to pass. The Spiny can be tricky to dodge because NSMBU mechanics are so floaty, but it's doable, and there are fire flowers so you can kill it if you want. The fact that you had trouble makes me worry that I overlooked something.

Archived