Shakin', Bakin' and Mario Makin': the Mario Maker levels topic

polishgenius

Looking forward to trying your new levels!

For now, something a little different from me. This one (SJM-H6X-1TG) is called Ethics 101, and it is a very themed level based around making ethical choices; will you take the easy way out and power yourself up to beat Bowser, no matter the cost to your soul? When do the ends justify the means?

1 hour ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Looking forward to trying your new levels!

For now, something a little different from me. This one (SJM-H6X-1TG) is called Ethics 101, and it is a very themed level based around making ethical choices; will you take the easy way out and power yourself up to beat Bowser, no matter the cost to your soul? When do the ends justify the means?

Still playing, but in the second section, you can jump back from the pipe and get the mushroom and yoshi. 

Edit: the first part also, I've realized you can get the mushroom if you jump on on the switch block. You put spikes on the rest so maybe this is intentional escalation? 

10 hours ago, RumHam said:

Still playing, but in the second section, you can jump back from the pipe and get the mushroom and yoshi. 

Edit: the first part also, I've realized you can get the mushroom if you jump on on the switch block. You put spikes on the rest so maybe this is intentional escalation? 

Oops, being able to do that in the first part is intentional; not in the second part. I'll have to think about whether I should change and reupload. Any other thoughts/criticisms?

I liked both the winged koopa and the airship levels. Both have a fun amount of challenge; neither were so tricky as to be frustrating, but I still died some as I tried to figure things out. One thing I think both levels could work on is escalation, something I'm trying to figure out in my own level-making. The beginnings felt much harder than the ends. In the airship level, for example, the platforming/obstacles definitely got easier, you get more powerups, and the baby Bowser boss fight is a breeze because you can beat him by just standing on the platform above him. In the koopa level, the timing for jumping from koopa to koopa felt much simpler in the second half; I might even recommend reversing the two halves of the course.

(I really liked the secrets in the pipes in the airship level, by the way. I get what you're all saying about hidden paths/alternate routes not being as fun when you just have standalone levels, but they're a significant reason I enjoy Mario games and greatly add to a level's replayability for me).

As Inigma said earlier, I really want to emphasize how much I appreciate you all as level makers- even my least favourite levels from this thread are easily better than 90% of what I get on endless mode.

3 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Oops, being able to do that in the first part is intentional; not in the second part. I'll have to think about whether I should change and reupload. Any other thoughts/criticisms?

No otherwise I thought it was good! I resisted hitting the switches for the longest time but then finally was decided to sacrifice the the mushroom at the start. I was able to save two of the yoshis I think by hitting one of the switches really fast which was very satisfying. 

I think I'm gonna do a Tubular Koopa Hop II later and I'll try to get the escalation better. It's incredibly satisfying to me making the multiple jumps. but I don't want it to feel frustrating when you miss. Maybe I'll use a sub area to add a second checkpoint somewhere.  

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

No otherwise I thought it was good! I resisted hitting the switches for the longest time but then finally was decided to sacrifice the the mushroom at the start. I was able to save two of the yoshis I think by hitting one of the switches really fast which was very satisfying. 

I think I'm gonna do a Tubular Koopa Hop II later and I'll try to get the escalation better. It's incredibly satisfying to me making the multiple jumps. but I don't want it to feel frustrating when you miss. Maybe I'll use a sub area to add a second checkpoint somewhere.  

One thing I liked about the Koopa hop is... Not the safety net exactly, but it's strategically placed so that while you CAN hop across the entire level, there are also places you can take a break and then resume hopping. It's a nice feeling to have the option to rest.

I saw the comment in game about the difficulty in my airship level and yeah I see what you mean. I was kind of afraid of overcompensating in my attempt to make things more difficult and I probably backed off too much — there are a LOT of projectiles early in the level and I didn't want to maintain that the whole way through. I think part of what makes the second half more interesting to me is the secrets. In the first half secrets mostly get you coins. Buy you can skip significant portions of the second half of the level; there's an optional miniboss; you can actually use the miniboss to skip the Bowser Jr. fight if you're tricky enough, which was an oversight but I kind of like it and I'm going to leave it in. 

There are a couple ways to cheese the Bowser Jr. fight, but if you just fight him normally the terrain can be a significant hindrance. My goal was to use multiple levels of terrain to spice up the fight, since everyone and their brother has a boring boss fight in an empty square room. I could probably have used more testing and tweaking there though. I didn't have much of a plan beyond "put some platforms in." In general I struggle to find ways to make boss fights interesting — judging from the levels I'm playing, I'm not alone — which is why most of my levels don't have them. I kind of wish there were more options for bosses. 

So I just learned that Booing someone's level lowers their maker score. Now I feel kinda bad for booing all those shit levels in endless mode. I figured at the time most of them were probably made by children. But I' noticed it never told me I'd been booed so I figured the kids would never know. 

57 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

DL9-6K6-JPF

Wheee!!!

After the checkpoint there's a part where you grab the flower then go through a tunnel of spikes, then head right to see two thwomps. My first time rushing through I went over the icicles and that right wall and ended up trapped above the exit pipe. 

Fun level, sorry I destroyed your clearance rate trying to speed run it and look for secret paths. 

11 minutes ago, RumHam said:

After the checkpoint there's a part where you grab the flower then go through a tunnel of spikes, then head right to see two thwomps. My first time rushing through I went over the icicles and that right wall and ended up trapped above the exit pipe. 

Fun level, sorry I destroyed your clearance rate trying to speed run it and look for secret paths. 

Damn, I thought I'd caught all of those. Gonna have to re-upload, I'd leave it but that's way too easy to do.

Thanks.

50% like ratio on it too. :(

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

Damn, I thought I'd caught all of those. Gonna have to re-upload, I'd leave it but that's way too easy to do.

I really wish they had some kinda rudimentary version control system for updating levels. It could even notify people who'd liked or booed a stage before that it had been updated and then let them re-evaluate it.

I've learned two tips for maker mode recently I thought I'd share. You can hold select to play the level from the start. Which I think is important to do for timing purposes. During my final playtesting I was seriously saving, quitting and then going into course robot and playing my levels then going back to editor as needed to edit them.

Secondly, I turned off the "mario's trail" option right away cause it was distracting. But I now realize it's somewhat obvious value. When you want to lead the player with coins it's a great way to tell where to place the path of coins. Especially anytime the player has to jump to something they can't see those coin paths are great for guiding the player. 

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah an edit function would be a great help. I'm guessing it has something to do with server load but still.

Anyway. re-up for Wheee!!!

NV3-48W-K1H

World record set! that N64 music just makes me wanna speedrun. 

Edit: Just realized that if I thought to turn on the mario's path thing while doing the koopa hopping parts I could have saved a lot of guesswork and playtesting. 

15 hours ago, RumHam said:

So I just learned that Booing someone's level lowers their maker score. Now I feel kinda bad for booing all those shit levels in endless mode. I figured at the time most of them were probably made by children. But I' noticed it never told me I'd been booed so I figured the kids would never know.  

It's a bummer but it's important to keep other people from suffering through bad levels. Nobody owes those levels plays.

Can't play right now but I'll play the new one and the re-up when I can.

Archived