Shakin', Bakin' and Mario Makin': the Mario Maker levels topic

polishgenius

1 minute ago, Inigima said:

That's an awesome theme idea. Unfortunately, no, it's impossible, you can't hide red coins in hidden blocks. I've tried. :(

Caligula, it's the level with the wall-jumping? I'm surprised it gave you that much trouble. There are only two Spike Tops and one Spiny, and you can wait for the Spike Tops to pass. The Spiny can be tricky to dodge because NSMBU mechanics are so floaty, but it's doable, and there are fire flowers so you can kill it if you want. The fact that you had trouble makes me worry that I overlooked something.

I can try it again and let you know. I was very tired last night, so it's possible I was just playing badly.

19 hours ago, Inigima said:

That's an awesome theme idea. Unfortunately, no, it's impossible, you can't hide red coins in hidden blocks. I've tried. :(

Caligula, it's the level with the wall-jumping? I'm surprised it gave you that much trouble. There are only two Spike Tops and one Spiny, and you can wait for the Spike Tops to pass. The Spiny can be tricky to dodge because NSMBU mechanics are so floaty, but it's doable, and there are fire flowers so you can kill it if you want. The fact that you had trouble makes me worry that I overlooked something.

Hmm, so I played it again a bunch last night. There are a few things going on  that level that are tricky: one is that the first wall jump is hard to control the landing of, so it's difficult not to end up crashing into a spiked creature on the ground some of the time (though this part is more avoidable). The second set of wall jumps is even trickier; I see what you were going for there, but the timing of the two enemies' movement is synced so that it's very, very, very difficult not to get hit by one of them no matter when you jump - I tried ten times and got hit every time. It's not a huge deal, because it's right after the checkpoint, but it does mean you'll get some frustrating deaths there and you're pretty much guaranteed to be small Mario when you get to the chainsaw level. 

I've yet to find the fire flowers around that level, so you may have hidden that a bit too well.

4 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Hmm, so I played it again a bunch last night. There are a few things going on  that level that are tricky: one is that the first wall jump is hard to control the landing of, so it's difficult not to end up crashing into a spiked creature on the ground some of the time (though this part is more avoidable). The second set of wall jumps is even trickier; I see what you were going for there, but the timing of the two enemies' movement is synced so that it's very, very, very difficult not to get hit by one of them no matter when you jump - I tried ten times and got hit every time. It's not a huge deal, because it's right after the checkpoint, but it does mean you'll get some frustrating deaths there and you're pretty much guaranteed to be small Mario when you get to the chainsaw level. 

I've yet to find the fire flowers around that level, so you may have hidden that a bit too well.

I would have to see it, I'm afraid. I just played through it again and I don't have that problem at all. The Spike Tops are almost in sync, so they both pass by almost simultaneously. I was never really in danger. 

The fire flowers will be mushrooms if you aren't already big Mario. There are a number of hidden mushrooms as well, generally against the wall at the very start of the floor. On floor 2 the first one is signaled with the Thwomp to the right of where you jump up — my thinking was, why is there a Thwomp guarding an empty area? There wouldn't be, so there's probably SOMETHING there. The next one is on top of the first cannon when you jump up. The next one, floor 4, I believe is a visible one. Floor 5 there is no indicator — you'd only expect one if you'd found the others and established the pattern. And then there's one more visible one.

I made the course, of course, but I didn't get hit at all, by anything, until I got careless on the Piranha Plant level. 

1 hour ago, Inigima said:

I would have to see it, I'm afraid. I just played through it again and I don't have that problem at all. The Spike Tops are almost in sync, so they both pass by almost simultaneously. I was never really in danger. 

The fire flowers will be mushrooms if you aren't already big Mario. There are a number of hidden mushrooms as well, generally against the wall at the very start of the floor. On floor 2 the first one is signaled with the Thwomp to the right of where you jump up — my thinking was, why is there a Thwomp guarding an empty area? There wouldn't be, so there's probably SOMETHING there. The next one is on top of the first cannon when you jump up. The next one, floor 4, I believe is a visible one. Floor 5 there is no indicator — you'd only expect one if you'd found the others and established the pattern. And then there's one more visible one.

I made the course, of course, but I didn't get hit at all, by anything, until I got careless on the Piranha Plant level. 

Playing through it again, I see that the positioning of the spiky dudes is very dependent on whether you're coming from the beginning or the checkpoint. From the beginning, it's as you say most of the time- from the check point, they do not move in sync, and one is always in the way.

I'd found one of the hidden blocks before, on floor 5. Now that you point out the thwomp positioning, floor 2 is more obvious- but I think I never felt the need to look for it, since I always finished floor 1 big, and I didn't see any indication I'd need fireballs, and so think to look. On all my runs of floor 2-3, I get hit once, and so only have gotten the mushroom on floor 4 (and then the same when I spawn at the checkpoint).

Again, I think it's a great level! I think it's just an example of how checkpoints can unintentionally change a course and of players playing through a level differently than expected, especially when it comes to hidden blocks, something I've seen happen on my levels a lot. Interesting stuff to think about!

I posted another level late last night. Pretty straightforward SMB Jungle/Cave map. I'm not gonna bother to go look up the code, I suspect we all follow each other by this point, no? I saw Caligula already played it.

3 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Playing through it again, I see that the positioning of the spiky dudes is very dependent on whether you're coming from the beginning or the checkpoint. From the beginning, it's as you say most of the time- from the check point, they do not move in sync, and one is always in the way.

I'd found one of the hidden blocks before, on floor 5. Now that you point out the thwomp positioning, floor 2 is more obvious- but I think I never felt the need to look for it, since I always finished floor 1 big, and I didn't see any indication I'd need fireballs, and so think to look. On all my runs of floor 2-3, I get hit once, and so only have gotten the mushroom on floor 4 (and then the same when I spawn at the checkpoint).

Again, I think it's a great level! I think it's just an example of how checkpoints can unintentionally change a course and of players playing through a level differently than expected, especially when it comes to hidden blocks, something I've seen happen on my levels a lot. Interesting stuff to think about!

Interesting! Thank you, that explains a lot. I had to clear it from the checkpoint to upload it, of course... I'm not sure what I did, maybe I just got hit that one time and don't remember. Re: power-ups, video games have conditioned me to look for stuff like that. Anytime I see a conspicuously open space and it doesn't contain a power-up, I'm surprised.

Yeah, RumHam, I follow the regulars here. Can't check it out right now but I will soon.

Just posted my new level, Cat and Mouse. It was an excuse to try out 3D World mechanics and turned into a themed level about rats infesting a city (possibly unwillingly). Since we all follow each other, I won't post the code.

Enjoyed the level, RumHam! You'll be happy to know the level cap's been increased to 64.

In general, this game gives me so much appreciation for how hard QA is. When my simple 2D levels can get screwed up so easily, it really makes you feel for 3D open world developers.

54 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Just posted my new level, Cat and Mouse. It was an excuse to try out 3D World mechanics and turned into a themed level about rats infesting a city (possibly unwillingly). Since we all follow each other, I won't post the code.

Oh man was that 3D land? Cause I was BAAAD at it. Since when can you stand on thwomps? Also those giant "toward the screen" bullets are just mean! like there's  a very small window in which you can jump on them and as a mostly 2D guy I did not get it. (<3 Mario 64) 

but those are criticisms against the game stylem and me just being high and bad at adapting. The other night I spent a long time thinking on Inigma's level cause I forgot 3D rendered mario could wall jump.  

My only real suggestion would bet to add a mush/flower in a box right after the first checkpoint. I liked the boss fight!

This Neko Case song has just recently inspired my next level: These Tornados Love You. I'll do it tomorrow. 

My only other in progress idea (sorry Gizmo Duck, the hypothetical course where there are gizmos and you have to duck.) Is based on an old computer game I used to play in middle school:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odell_Lake_(video_game)

10 hours ago, RumHam said:

Oh man was that 3D land? Cause I was BAAAD at it. Since when can you stand on thwomps? Also those giant "toward the screen" bullets are just mean! like there's  a very small window in which you can jump on them and as a mostly 2D guy I did not get it. (<3 Mario 64) 

but those are criticisms against the game stylem and me just being high and bad at adapting. The other night I spent a long time thinking on Inigma's level cause I forgot 3D rendered mario could wall jump.  

My only real suggestion would bet to add a mush/flower in a box right after the first checkpoint. I liked the boss fight!

This Neko Case song has just recently inspired my next level: These Tornados Love You. I'll do it tomorrow. 

My only other in progress idea (sorry Gizmo Duck, the hypothetical course where there are gizmos and you have to duck.) Is based on an old computer game I used to play in middle school:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odell_Lake_(video_game)

Haha, damn! I should have put in a warning- this will be a very tough level if it's your first time doing a 3D world course. The 3D bullets, for example, are definitely very hard to jump off of the first time you run into them (and if you're high at the same time), but the timing gets much easier the more you do it. Were you able to finish the level? I'd say the trickiest thing if you don't know the 3D World systems would be not knowing that as cat Mario, you can change the direction of the 3D bullets with your paw.  Have you been playing the story mode? I haven't played any of the New Super Mario Bros. Games or Mario Maker 1, so that's been very helpful for introducing me to the mechanics of modern 2D Mario.

I was thinking about putting a mushroom after checkpoint 2, but I figured that since there were no enemies (aside from a thwomp, but that's instant death if you get crushed) between the checkpoint and the next pipe with a Cat Mario suit, it wouldn't help the player. And since there is that thwomp, I wanted players to be playing more cautiously, which they tend to do as small Mario. 

Glad you liked the boss! Looking forward to your next level- I'm a sucker for themed levels.

Yeah, I finished it finally. The cat thing threw me as well but eventually I figured out I could climb walls. You're right about the mushroom.

I played a bit of story mode. Easily 90% of my time with the game has been in the editor though. I actually need to finish story mode cause I read it unlocks a few things. 

My day took a turn and I never got to make anything. but if it's alright with you guys I'm just gonna keep spewing out terrible theme ideas. 

Big Little Guys: Run through a short but difficult course. Then do it again but  Mario starts under a giant mushroom, and all enemies are giant. 

It's Always Sunny in the Mushroom Kingdom - Frank is the poison mushroom, obviously. It would include some charlie work. There will be a troll toll. I just...wish the game had an enemy that looked like a bird(o). 

I really wanna do a  Jaws / general shark movie level but I need the giant tracker Cheep cheep and/or those platform dolphins from my least favorite level in SMW.

Edit: I'm seriously wondering if I can stack fish on giant monty moles. 

as an aside, fuck doki doki panic / super mario 2. I want Yoshi's Island for the other extra slot!  The people don't want to be picking up enemies and throwing them at other enemies. They want to gobble enemies up with their oddly long tongue before those enemies can separate a baby from it's weird dinosaur guardian. 

My new level is up! It's an autoscroll airship level with a chase and a flight section. Hope you enjoy! 6GR-F1X-CTF

Looking forward to trying out some of those themed levels, @RumHam! They sound kind of awesome.

There's room for another theme in the theme box, so I'm sure DLC is coming...

20 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

My new level is up! It's an autoscroll airship level with a chase and a flight section. Hope you enjoy! 6GR-F1X-CTF

Looking forward to trying out some of those themed levels, @RumHam! They sound kind of awesome.

That was good fun. The chase section was tense. 

I will get back to level making one day, but for now Fire Emblem is eating all my switch time. In the meantime if anyone wants to use any of my weird ideas, feel free. 

20 hours ago, RumHam said:

That was good fun. The chase section was tense. 

I will get back to level making one day, but for now Fire Emblem is eating all my switch time. In the meantime if anyone wants to use any of my weird ideas, feel free. 

Ahh, too bad, but I understand the call of RPGs. I'll be waiting for the Pokemon reviews to come out and then deciding whether I want to buy that or Fire Emblem this year. And now the new Obsidian RPG, the Outer Worlds, is coming out for the Switch too...

If you don't mind, I might try out the Jaws idea!

On 7/28/2019 at 6:19 PM, Caligula_K3 said:

I also played this, and liked it. Auto scroll levels get a bad rap, but I actually really enjoy them. 

3 hours ago, Inigima said:

I also played this, and liked it. Auto scroll levels get a bad rap, but I actually really enjoy them. 

Thanks! Yeah, this game has taught me to appreciate autoscroll levels. They can be hard to pace, and I run into the occasional one that moves way too slowly or way too fast for its level's content, but I've played a lot of very fun ones.

Also, I'd like to recommend a hilarious level: it's called "The House of Bad Level Design" and in a brilliant way it shows off all the things that people do in making levels that they really shouldn't do (I may be guilty of a couple of these sins in some of my levels). G6T-HD0-G1H

5 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Thanks! Yeah, this game has taught me to appreciate autoscroll levels. They can be hard to pace, and I run into the occasional one that moves way too slowly or way too fast for its level's content, but I've played a lot of very fun ones.

Also, I'd like to recommend a hilarious level: it's called "The House of Bad Level Design" and in a brilliant way it shows off all the things that people do in making levels that they really shouldn't do (I may be guilty of a couple of these sins in some of my levels). G6T-HD0-G1H

I needed a break after a FE defeat and decided to start on my tornado level. I'd just read this so of course it was gonna be auto-scroll. That's kinda the only way the idea of "this tornado loves you" as a title makes sense. If you have to at points just take a leap of faith into a series of tornadoes before the end closes in on you. 

I haven't gotten far, but I have a relevant question. Have either of you ever played a decent level with the fast auto scroll? Cause that shit is fast. I've never seen a level use it, but as I said before I barely play endless mode or levels not posted here. 

11 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

If you don't mind, I might try out the Jaws idea!

I just stumbled across my notes on the subject and thought they might serve you well. Godspeed!

-JAWS
  -somehow, we get the player on a small boat. but then he needs to get a bigger boat.
   -maybe like classic rightward moving mario mechanics lead the player to a small boat. and a hidden block allows them to jump up and see a bigger boat? 

-where is the giant fish who haunts you? and his dolphin friends. 

-uss koopianapoulus 
    -was coming back from the island of yoshi and yoshi-lady. just delivered the baby. the mario baby. 

-"sometimes they'd have an extra life....sometimes they wouldna have an extra life. sometimes...they'd get the game over."    

On 7/30/2019 at 9:55 PM, RumHam said:

I just stumbled across my notes on the subject and thought they might serve you well. Godspeed!

I tried to make this level, but I couldn't get it to work, so I turned it into a Koopa shell surfing level instead. I think your vision is too unique for anyone else to fulfill! I hope you give it a try when you come back to Mario Maker.

New level (Koopa Don't Surf) ID: 9PJ-NWY-CRG

New level up! 

Cloud Nine

CB2-454-62H

An auto-scrolling sky level, just like Mom used to make.

I don't think it's very hard, but I consciously tried to make the actual platforming too tough because I know that auto-scroll of any kind will make it harder for beginners.

Archived