Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

Ramsay B.

On 7/19/2019 at 1:35 PM, Jace, Basilissa said:

Speaking of creepy Spacey, I saw Moon. Real good, I liked it. 

I WENT TO SEE MOON AT THE BARBICAN ON FRIDAY NIGHT ACCOMPANIED BY THE LONDON CONTEMPORARY ORCHESTRA, WITH AN INTRODUCTION FROM CLINT MANSELL.

I'd only seen the film once and I'd forgotten how crushingly sad it was in parts.

Fucking mad accoustics in that hall though. If anyone's been in the main screen of the Curzon cinema in Mayfair it's similar to that. Brutalism at its finest.

What I really, REALLY need now is to see The Fountain with orchestral accompanient. They had it in Prague last year, damn it. Why can't we have one in London?

5 minutes ago, Isis said:

I WENT TO SEE MOON AT THE BARBICAN ON FRIDAY NIGHT ACCOMPANIED BY THE LONDON CONTEMPORARY ORCHESTRA, WITH AN INTRODUCTION FROM CLINT MANSELL.

Wut. I should have booked my flight to london a week early for this.

I've never seen the fountain on the big screen, which is big sad. The Fountain was also the movie that deemed me ineligible to pick movies at our weekly movie gatherings for a month

41 minutes ago, Raja said:

Wut. I should have booked my flight to london a week early for this.

I've never seen the fountain on the big screen, which is big sad. The Fountain was also the movie that deemed me ineligible to pick movies at our weekly movie gatherings for a month

Actually I haven't seen The Fountain on a big screen either. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for it with/without orchestra from now on though. The first time I watched it was on a laptop and I think I was doing something else (studying??) at the time and it passed me by. Then I listened to the soundtrack and loved it. Then we watched the film again and I was like OK I GET IT NOW and then I became an incurable Clint Mansell fangirl overnight.

19 hours ago, john said:

It sucks when you find out this stuff after liking someone’s work for a while.  Apparently Josh Trank (director of Chronicle) tweeted after this news came out that he had to ban Landis from the set of Chronicle because of the way he behaved.  And that was like the start of Landis’ career, he had cachet in Hollywood for years after that.

Yeah, I'm still mentally boggling a bit. I mean, you wouldn't be surprised, after sitting through the Ring Cycle, to find out that Wagner was not such a nice person. But Dirk Gently was so fluffy. I suppose Landis was very aware of his own proclivities and took care not to reveal them in his writing. 

I was intrigued by the trailer for season/part 3 of Money Heist on Netflix, so I've started watching from the beginning. What a fun show. I love a good heist. 

My only nitpick so far is that I'm pretty sure I've been able to tell when a lot of the original episodes ended (Netflix recut the series from what aired in Spain) and I think they're mostly better spots than where Netflix has chosen to end the episodes. Breaks up the flow a bit.

Caught two movies this weekend. First up was Clue. I’m honestly left wondering if midway through they changed up the director, because the tonal shift felt so extreme. It wasn’t a good movie per se, but if you’re game to turn your mind off, it can be a fun campy movie. The up is one of my favorites, The Descendants. I feel like this movie is close to perfect, at least for what it was going for. I can’t really pick out any noticeable flaws, and with the benefit of hindsight, it should have always been obvious that Shailene Woodley was going to become a huge star.

43 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

I'm currently watching Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. It's really not your typical Star Wars film, with it's darker tone and all. 

Yeah, Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith are two of my favorite uplifting feel good movies... :P

On 7/15/2019 at 9:56 AM, Tywin et al. said:

It would seem that I’m the outlier, at least here, then. I just can’t imagine seeing a new film and not talking about it with someone.

This is a few days old, but I also prefer to go alone. Less distractions because my wife tends to talk during movies. She doesn't like to see movies very often and I was working a funky schedule when I started going alone. After the first or second time it was like no big deal.

On 7/19/2019 at 6:18 AM, Veltigar said:

Saw the Usual Suspects the other day. It was okay. I wonder how it must have been like

Hide contents

if I had not known about the twist

Much Much better. It's one of the few movies where I didn't catch the clues before the reveal. One of my favorites, but not the same watching it the second time.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:59 AM, Nictarion said:

Whoever wrote tonight’s episode of Euphoria has great taste. First, Sydney Sweeney dresses up as Alabama Worley ( :wub:) for a Halloween party, and then Zendaya threatens a kid with a bunch of characters from The Wire. :lol:

Yeah it took a second for it to register when she was naming off the people, I was like, Omar? Great references. And I liked the Bob the, happy little tree painter man costume myself! Couple of lighter moments in a very dark series.

Watched a few things over the last week or so.

First Man, ehh, was boring as hell to me. Found myself checking my phone while watching and fast forwarding some.

Stuber, dumb, some funny spots, not worth a full price ticket, only see if it's cheap and you enjoy popcorn.

Kick Ass, don't know why I never saw this before, pretty damn good movie, sort of super hero but not?

On 7/21/2019 at 9:28 AM, Isis said:

Actually I haven't seen The Fountain on a big screen either. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for it with/without orchestra from now on though. The first time I watched it was on a laptop and I think I was doing something else (studying??) at the time and it passed me by. Then I listened to the soundtrack and loved it. Then we watched the film again and I was like OK I GET IT NOW and then I became an incurable Clint Mansell fangirl overnight.

One of the first 'cool' things I did when I was a college freshman in 1998 was go to a little student screening of pi.  Clint Mansell did that soundtrack as well. The movie was bonkers for a kid who at the time mostly liked Jurassic Park and Airplane!. It was a defining turn of my musical taste. I went from high school grunge and nu metal to spacey electronic music, and jumped off that soundtrack's diving board into all sorts of 90s electronic stuff. It also got my roommate and me fairly heavily into the board game Go, at least as much as two college kids in Iowa before the existence of online Go could.

I don't care how great the soundtrack to Requiem is, I will never, ever, never ever watch that movie again. Even some of the best tracks are hauntingly beautiful and get an immediate NOPE and fast forward. Hell that movie also had a lifelong effect on me - I drank and toked freely for most of my adult life, but I will never mess with hard drugs even once.

I need to rewatch The Fountain - I've the blu-ray around somewhere and it would look amazing on my projection screen, hmm.

8 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

One of the first 'cool' things I did when I was a college freshman in 1998 was go to a little student screening of pi.  Clint Mansell did that soundtrack as well. The movie was bonkers for a kid who at the time mostly liked Jurassic Park and Airplane!. It was a defining turn of my musical taste. I went from high school grunge and nu metal to spacey electronic music, and jumped off that soundtrack's diving board into all sorts of 90s electronic stuff. It also got my roommate and me fairly heavily into the board game Go, at least as much as two college kids in Iowa before the existence of online Go could.

I don't care how great the soundtrack to Requiem is, I will never, ever, never ever watch that movie again. Even some of the best tracks are hauntingly beautiful and get an immediate NOPE and fast forward. Hell that movie also had a lifelong effect on me - I drank and toked freely for most of my adult life, but I will never mess with hard drugs even once.

I need to rewatch The Fountain - I've the blu-ray around somewhere and it would look amazing on my projection screen, hmm.

Awesome. I wonder how many other people Clint Mansell has influenced musically via film. Quite a few I would guess.

I have seen Pi but weirdly I haven't listened to the soundtrack by itself.

Requiem for a Dream is in the same category as Jacob's Ladder right? The 'I don't need to see that ever again' category. I do enjoy the soundtrack though.

I am saving myself for a rewatch of The Fountain when I get a day off with no other plans. :)

The Fountain is one of my absolute favourite movies, and primarily because it is a feast for the senses. Mansell's soundtrack coupled with a really unique visual style turns the entire movie into a hypnotic poem with a huge emotional punch that pushed a hole into my heart. I love it.

I listen to the soundtrack quite often, even if on its own it tends to lack something. Seeing it live would be fantastic I think.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:59 AM, Nictarion said:

Whoever wrote tonight’s episode of Euphoria has great taste. First, Sydney Sweeney dresses up as Alabama Worley ( :wub:) for a Halloween party, and then Zendaya threatens a kid with a bunch of characters from The Wire. :lol:

Wasn't it Alabama Whitman in the movie? I mean, we named our dog after her so if we named our dog wrong, I will be upset. That being said, Sydney Sweeney and my dog both do Alabama justice.

ETA: and as I look it up, I guess she took Christian Slater's name at some point?

31 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Wasn't it Alabama Whitman in the movie? I mean, we named our dog after her so if we named our dog wrong, I will be upset. That being said, Sydney Sweeney and my dog both do Alabama justice.

ETA: and as I look it up, I guess she took Christian Slater's name at some point?

Yeah, she introduced herself to people (Clarence’s dad, Dick, etc) as his wife, Alabama Worley. 

ETA: just looked it up and they did in fact get married. Think you just see them walking out of the courthouse? Been awhile since I’ve seen it as well. 

Requiem for a Dream is one of those movies I’ve been meaning to see since it basically came out, but just never have because of its infamous reputation for being such a downer. Blue Valentine too. I heard that’s an incredibly depressing tale of love disintegrating.

I watched Conan the Barbarian for the first time in a while the other day. This movie never gets old. Still one of the best endings and scores ever. 

4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Yeah, she introduced herself to people (Clarence’s dad, Dick, etc) as his wife, Alabama Worley. 

Ok. That makes sense. Been awhile since I've seen it. We didn't make the wrong choice though so that's all I care about right now.

Archived