Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

Ramsay B.

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Requiem for a Dream is one of those movies I’ve been meaning to see since it basically came out, but just never have because of its infamous reputation for being such a downer. 

I think that film is overrated as hell. Was pretty bored when I watched it years ago and I just absolutely loath lux eternea or whatever the song is called. Shit has been ruining montages for me for many years, no wonder Breivik liked it so much. 

15 hours ago, dbunting said:

Much Much better. It's one of the few movies where I didn't catch the clues before the reveal. One of my favorites, but not the same watching it the second time.

I can imagine. A shame I'll never know. I hate how this twist is so carelessly spoiled by so many other series. Even freaking Derry Girls did it. 

Stranger Things S3 was very enjoyable.  I posted a review in the dedicated thread. 

And today on my long flight back to the US I just watched all of Dark S1.  That’s really, really good.  I initially held off on watching it because it sounded slightly horror-ish, but it’s not at all.  The closest comparison would be True Detectives S1, but with a wider ensemble.  “Time is a flat circle” might have inspired this.  I hope S2 maintains the quality. 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Stranger Things S3 was very enjoyable.  I posted a review in the dedicated thread. 

And today on my long flight back to the US I just watched all of Dark S1.  That’s really, really good.  I initially held off on watching it because it sounded slightly horror-ish, but it’s not at all.  The closest comparison would be True Detectives S1, but with a wider ensemble.  “Time is a flat circle” might have inspired this.  I hope S2 maintains the quality. 

I would recommend watching S2 pretty soon. I was a little lost watching it a year later, I am not a rewatch person and this one hurt a little. 

Spoiler

All of the characters in the different timelines got a little blurred and the first two episodes weren't as enjoyable for me because of it.

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

I would recommend watching S2 pretty soon. I was a little lost watching it a year later, I am not a rewatch person and this one hurt a little. 

Reveal hidden contents

All of the characters in the different timelines got a little blurred and the first two episodes weren't as enjoyable for me because of it.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I don’t rewatch either so I’ll jump into S2 quickly.

Ladies & Gentlemen, I think I'm in love. Just saw Scott Adkins in Avengement and it was just spectacular. Probably one of the greatest B-movies I have ever seen. I read about it in a good article from the AV Club on the dearth of A-list action franchises (i.e. only John Wick), in which the author claimed that there was still amazing action being made in the often obscure world of B-movies. He gave Avengement and other films by Scott Adkins as reference and holy crap, he was right about everything. 

Don't expect a masterpiece, because it was filmed on a shoestring budget and the directing is rough around the edges in the non-action scenes, but this movie is on fire overall. Some of the best fights I have seen ever and much more realistic than what you'd get in say John Wick. You actually believe that Scott Adkins' Cain is fucking up all these dudes he's fighting against.

He's so damn convincing as this mad, twisted and tormented individual who just keeps on going no matter what you throw at him. It's almost unbelievable. I often find it difficult to fully go along in the story, as most protagonists in these kinds of films strain credibility a bit with their antics, but Scott Adkins here just looks and feels the part. Probably the greatest portrayal of an invincible yet still human fighter since Brad Pitt stormed the beach of Troy as Achilles.  

Anyways, I have always had a soft spot for movies set in prison. Starred Up, Un Prophète, etc. I just love them and this is a more than worthy addition to the genre. I really loved the use of music in this film as well, there is this one long fight in prison with a bunch of different parties during which there is this very specific tune in the background and I just loved it to bits. This film has style. 

I hope to see Scott Adkins in films with bigger budgets. He'd make a great villain in the next John Wick franchise. He's such a great fighter that I could easily see him as the big bad. 

Another Life on Netflix is splendidly awful. Clunky dialogue, painful exposition, nonsensical worldbuilding (it's about 30-40 years in the future, are still obsessed with Instagram but we have a functioning FTL drive), a ludicrously young, pretty and inexperienced crew (to the point where they have to try to explain it, which is painful), and about 4 episodes of plot stretched out to 10. It's like Arrival and The 100 have been mashed together, except it's nowhere near as good as either (or at least not as good as The 100's first couple of seasons before it started going downhill).

What holds it together is the central performance by Katee Sackhoff, whom it's great to see back in space, and the pulp schlockiness of it all. Watchably crap.

Also rewatching Community, which remains magnificent (well, the first three seasons anyway), and slowly making my way through The Leftovers Season 2, although my housemate and viewing partner on that show keeps needed to take breaks from the show because it's relentless randomness weirds her out.

21 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Another Life on Netflix is splendidly awful. Clunky dialogue, painful exposition, nonsensical worldbuilding (it's about 30-40 years in the future, are still obsessed with Instagram but we have a functioning FTL drive), a ludicrously young, pretty and inexperienced crew (to the point where they have to try to explain it, which is painful), and about 4 episodes of plot stretched out to 10. It's like Arrival and The 100 have been mashed together, except it's nowhere near as good as either (or at least not as good as The 100's first couple of seasons before it started going downhill).

What holds it together is the central performance by Katee Sackhoff, whom it's great to see back in space, and the pulp schlockiness of it all. Watchably crap.

I was about to start watching it. I already had fairly low expectations after the trailer, but thank you for totally sinking them. I hope I enjoy some of it. I wasn't able to get into The 100 while I loved Arrival, so who knows where this will fall. :laugh:

Follow up on the above @Werthead Another Life is total crap, I've watched one episode, and I can't watch another. Also, besides FTL technology, they have, artificial gravity, a super-advanced AI that can act human, stasis technology, all encased in a spaceship strong enough to orbit a blue giant star and not get vaporized.

Spoiler

If they have an FTL drive, why do they need gravity assist from a star?

The only moment of the first episode I enjoyed was when the scientist/protagonist's hubby jumped for joy like a kid after the alien artifact responded. That felt completely genuine and was awesome, unlike the bullshit and predictable drama of the Jersey Shore In Space.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Also rewatching Community, which remains magnificent (well, the first three seasons anyway), and slowly making my way through The Leftovers Season 2, although my housemate and viewing partner on that show keeps needed to take breaks from the show because it's relentless randomness weirds her out.

Im also re watching community, currently on season 3 (thinking on skipping season 4). I think season 3 is my favorite of them all. 

@Veltigar, I had just read this AVClub article vaunting Avengement as precisely what you described. It sure sounds great. Adkins was lots of fun in that Triple Threat movie with Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, and Tiger Chen going at him. Adkins has had such an odd career - just about anyone I know who loves action or martial arts movies speaks the world of him. He isn't going to win an Oscar, but he is a far better actor than, say, John Cena. 

I'm happy he was in a Marvel movie, but he was just a blank henchman that Doctor Strange beat up with a cape. Zzz. Apparently he was in The Expendables 2 but I don't remember a damned thing about that movie other than "Didn't I think the first one was fun?" I really would like him to score a beefy role in a Hollywood A-level action movie. Surely he'll get cast in one of the infinite Fast And Furious: Midlife Crisis Years movies? He's extremely adept at fighting, he's handsome, and a solidly charismatic actor. Maybe he can get killed (after an unreal fight scene) by Keanu in John Wick 4 or 5.

Watching Euphoria on episode four... this makes me both very happy that I'm not a teen now and that I do not have children.

ETA:  The five year old drug dealer with face tats his fucking hilarious.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

The older drug dealer is so much like someone everyone knew from high school.  

Yeah, he's a very real feeling character.

Sort of meh on the show overall but am entertained enough to stick with it.   

Right there with you.

Some fairly shocking nudity for television in spots.  

Yep, micropenis masturbation... not something I ever thought I would ever see let alone on HBO.

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Yep, micropenis masturbation... not something I ever thought I would ever see let alone on HBO.

That wasn't real right? Kinda like Mr. Chang in The Hangover?

7 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

@Veltigar, I had just read this AVClub article vaunting Avengement as precisely what you described. It sure sounds great. Adkins was lots of fun in that Triple Threat movie with Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, and Tiger Chen going at him. Adkins has had such an odd career - just about anyone I know who loves action or martial arts movies speaks the world of him. He isn't going to win an Oscar, but he is a far better actor than, say, John Cena. 

I didn't even know that what Cena did technically counted as acting? :P 

I can believe that everyone with a bit of knowledge of the genre loves Adkins. He's amazing. I saw some fight scenes from Triple Threat and I was a bit less impressed due to the fact that I didn't like the way the fights were shot there (too much acrobatics and unrealistic turns, unlike the grit of Avengement).

I am definitely going to check out more of his films though. If there are other gems hidden in there I want to see them :D I rewatched my favorite fight scenes from Avengement this morning and I can't remember the last time I did that. It's just pure poetry! 

Please do check it out, as I feel like fanboy'ing a bit about the film :D

I'm happy he was in a Marvel movie, but he was just a blank henchman that Doctor Strange beat up with a cape. Zzz. Apparently he was in The Expendables 2 but I don't remember a damned thing about that movie other than "Didn't I think the first one was fun?" I really would like him to score a beefy role in a Hollywood A-level action movie. Surely he'll get cast in one of the infinite Fast And Furious: Midlife Crisis Years movies? He's extremely adept at fighting, he's handsome, and a solidly charismatic actor. Maybe he can get killed (after an unreal fight scene) by Keanu in John Wick 4 or 5.

I'd also really like him to be the big bad in one of the next Wick films. Perhaps with John Wick having to partner up with

Spoiler

the guys from the Raid he spared in parabellum to take him down. Or otherwise a flashback film about John's mission to save Halle Berry's daughter. A sort of John Wick'esque version of Man on Fire and with Adkins playing the deranged villain who turns out to be the father of Berry's daughter and John's own brother :D

I'm happy he was in a Marvel movie, but he was just a blank henchman that Doctor Strange beat up with a cape. Zzz. Apparently he was in The Expendables 2 but I don't remember a damned thing about that movie other than "Didn't I think the first one was fun?" I really would like him to score a beefy role in a Hollywood A-level action movie. Surely he'll get cast in one of the infinite Fast And Furious: Midlife Crisis Years movies? 

Probably not, in Avengement he looks like a better version of Jason Statham in every way so I can't see them hiring him. Perhaps we should hope that the Rock has a similar fall-out with Statham as he had with Vin Diesel, then they can just replace him with Adkins ;) 

29 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

About to start Amazon's The Boys. I know nothing about the comics, so going in blind.

If I wasn't travelling this weekend, I'd do the same. I hope Karl Urban finally has a bit of luck, he's a good actor but even his best work never seems to be able to connect. 

The Great Hack is an excellent, though-provoking and incisive documentary. Definitely worth watching.

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Follow up on the above @Werthead Another Life is total crap, I've watched one episode, and I can't watch another. Also, besides FTL technology, they have, artificial gravity, a super-advanced AI that can act human, stasis technology, all encased in a spaceship strong enough to orbit a blue giant star and not get vaporized.

Reveal hidden contents   Reveal hidden contents

If they have an FTL drive, why do they need gravity assist from a star?

The only moment of the first episode I enjoyed was when the scientist/protagonist's hubby jumped for joy like a kid after the alien artifact responded. That felt completely genuine and was awesome, unlike the bullshit and predictable drama of the Jersey Shore In Space.

The star is Sirius A, which is a main sequence white star less than twice the size of the Sun.

They at least nod towards actual astronomy in the series, which is one of the few things I can appreciate about it. Although if they can travel 100 light-years and back in seven months, why the hell hasn't humanity colonised the entire galaxy by now?

Archived