Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

Ramsay B.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Definitely, yes. We felt broken after we left the cinema and got on a bus to the station. We barely spoke. 

And then my husband swore he'd never watch another Michelle Williams film again because she sucks all the joy out of life. However, he's agreed to try watching the first episode of Fosse/Verdon which is FINALLY on tv in the UK this Friday. 

She does seem to love soul destroying roles. Then she did "venom" so maybe she's exhausted from it all too.

13 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

What did you want out of it?

Idk, like I said, I expected it to be a lot darker. For example, I thought there was an attempted murder aspect to the story. Oh well, it was still great.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk, like I said, I expected it to be a lot darker. For example, I thought there was an attempted murder aspect to the story. Oh well, it was still great.

Interesting.  It's one of my favorite movies, but if you were expecting it to be more noirish, that must have been jarring since there is actually a fair amount of comedy.  But, what a screenplay that was!  I must have seen this movie at least a dozen times by now, LOL. 

23 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Interesting.  It's one of my favorite movies, but if you were expecting it to be more noirish, that must have been jarring since there is actually a fair amount of comedy.  But, what a screenplay that was!  I must have seen this movie at least a dozen times by now, LOL. 

I was aware that it was partially a comedy, so that didn’t shock me. I just expected a dark comedy. Either way though it has a perfect ending, and it really brought the story full circle.

6 hours ago, nah said:

Really wasn't digging the last few seasons of Orange is the New Black, but 9 episodes into the final one and I gotta say, I think it's the best they've done.

Still haven't seen the new Tarantino, hoping to maybe get out and catch a late showing tonight.

Really? I had given up on it one episode into the last season. Do I have to go back and finish it? 

Started Schitt's Creek based on its Emmy nomination and a trusted recommendation. I finished the first 3 episodes and don't think I laughed once. What am I missing? Do I need to give it more time? 

On 7/26/2019 at 8:04 AM, Corvinus said:

I've watched the first 2 episodes of The Boys, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Just finished episode 2. I’m in.

I saw the new movie Skin starring Jamie Bell as a white supremacist trying to change his life. It was decent with some good performances by all, including Bill Camp and Vera Farmiga. I was excited because Daniel Henshall was in it(the maniac from Snowtown), but his role was unfortunately a minor one. It’s worth a watch but nothing groundbreaking.

I really liked S3 of Stranger Things too, better than S2. I do hope they wrap it up soon though, as someone mentioned upthread. One more solid season would be perfect. 

16 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

Started Schitt's Creek based on its Emmy nomination and a trusted recommendation. I finished the first 3 episodes and don't think I laughed once. What am I missing? Do I need to give it more time? 

I think I lasted 5 episodes before shelving it.  My sister absolutely loves it.  I don't get it.

I switched over to The Boys last night and am glad I did.  Really like this show.

On 7/30/2019 at 5:42 PM, Joey Crows said:

Back when it started I watched the first two episodes and bailed.  Same experience of not laughing once.

Sign me up to pile on that the first episode of Schitt's Creek was so damn un-funny that I never got past it. I had several very cool type people rave about it, it got some awards buzz, and the internet seems to like it. But man it sue missed, like, every damn bit they tried, least in that first one.

Saw Once upon a time in Hollywood.  I thought it was pretty good. It's a little choppy at times with flash backs and there are things left unresolved but that makes for a good movie sometimes. Some pretty serious parts, some really good acting in places(the little girl killed it), and some funny parts.

Saw Hobbes and Shaw. It was a lot of fun, but honestly could've been a bit better. The bones were there to be as good as the best F&F movies, instead its more a mid-tier F&F movie.

Bizarrely, there were two very short CG sequences that looked so bad I half wonder if someone accidentally left placeholder effects in the movie. Both are blink-and-you-miss-it, one's a shot of a research complex by a lake and the other is a shot of a car going over some industrial wreckage, and they both look about as good as a late era PS1 pre-rendered cutscene in a game. No joke, they're terrible. It's really strange.

Also, heads up if anyone cares, there's a mid-credits sequence that spoils the end of Game of Thrones; in case anyone has been trying to avoid all that until the books come out.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

At a certain point I realized how hopeless it would be to try to avoid hearing how it ended if one tried to go this route.  I'm sure many people did.  I sure never imagined that this could be the death blow for someone.  

Yeah, it was surprising. Also, the end of the show really wasn't that long ago, they must've filmed that scene at the very last minute.

On 7/26/2019 at 6:28 AM, Tywin et al. said:

I saw that Star Trek: The Next Generation is now on Netflix. I remember seeing a few episodes as a kid, but I never got into it. I watched the first episode and thought it was actually pretty good. Debating whether or not to invest the time to watch the series.

Well, there will be a lot of sci-fi nerds of multiple generations angry at you if you don't. Not sure how that impacts your life decisions. I know a 65 year-old man that does not watch most TV shows and movies, and will still make a point to watch the new Picard show.

Tenet Story
Between the likes of Variety and Collider, all we've gleaned so far is that Tenet is "a globe-trotting adventure that dabbles in international espionage with shades of the mind-bending Inception but also somehow involves the time continuum a la Interstellar" which gets the mind reeling. The "massive, innovative, action blockbuster" will of course get a big IMAX release when it arrives.

The word tenet itself means "a principle or belief, especially one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy." Make of that what you will.

Tenet Cast
John David Washington (BlacKkKlansman) will lead the cast of Tenet alongside Robert Pattinson (The Lighthouse). The rest of the main players are Elizabeth Debicki (The Night Manager), Dimple Kapadia (Bobby), Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Avengers: Age of Ultron), Clémence Poésy (In Bruges), Michael Caine (The Dark Knight) and Kenneth Branagh (Murder on the Orient Express). No details about any of their parts have been revealed yet.

Tenet Cast, Release Date and More for Next Christopher Nolan Movie
A new Christopher Nolan movie awaits us next year. Here's everything we know about Tenet...

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/christopher-nolan/281316/tenet-cast-release-date-news-christopher-nolan

Archived