Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

Ramsay B.

Watching Flea Bag and it's amazingly messed up. S2 Ep1 was nothing short of perfect.

Somehow this didn't post yesterday.

Currently watching Jessica Jones S3, finding myself getting bored while watching. Maybe it's just the way they edited the first two episodes.

Watched Derry Girls S2.  It was great again.  So good, in fact, that I did a rewatch of S1 right afterward.  But I do wonder if American audiences could follow what they’re saying. 

Now watching The Boys, half way through the first season at this point.  This is the best superhero TV series made, and it’s a welcome tonic for Marvel fatigue.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:10 PM, KingintheNorth4 said:

Just got back from watching Hobbs & Shaw. I liked it. It was your typical F&F action flick, with the usual charisma from The Rock.

I’m planning to take my son when he returns from visiting his grandparents.  The trailer made it look even cheesier and more contrived than the F&F flicks, which is saying something.  

45 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Watched Derry Girls S2.  It was great again.  So good, in fact, that I did a rewatch of S1 right afterward.  But I do wonder if American audiences could follow what they’re saying. 

Funny you mention this, I tried watching this today and I didn't last 10 minutes. I just can't understand half of what is being said. I did catch one funny line, where the girls are heading to school and the one doesn't have on a jean jacket, the other girl says "well I'm not being an individual alone!"

Veronica mars season 4 was very entertaining, much better than the film a few years ago. Seemed to strike an ideal balance between the humour of the original while recognising the teen cast were now adults and different people. 

9 hours ago, dbunting said:

Funny you mention this, I tried watching this today and I didn't last 10 minutes. I just can't understand half of what is being said. I did catch one funny line, where the girls are heading to school and the one doesn't have on a jean jacket, the other girl says "well I'm not being an individual alone!"

I'm a Midwesterner who worked Irish pubs (and had mostly Irish friends) in NYC for a long time. My best pal is Northern Irish and adores Derry Girls, and had me watch most of the first season with him. I was able to lean forward and really, really concentrate and understand most of the dialect, but so many jokes are specific to that area that I merely chuckled while my friend was next to me laughing his ass off. If I hadn't spent a lot of time with Irish people, I'd have been wholly baffled.

It definitely has some great lines that translate well to Americans that can handle the accents. I tried to get my parents to watch an episode, as they recently said how much they love British shows but often can't pick up certain character's lines. Sure enough, neither could figure out anything, and we abandoned the science experiment after a few minutes.

That doesn't bother me, for some reason.  Perhaps because Derry Girls's physical absurdity and general comedy is even stronger?

Elsewhere I mentioned how hard it is to find a television show that doesn't put serious violence front and center -- and thus have been even more grateful that both Derry Girls and Dear White People were there for me this awful weekend.  Both series explore social violence of all kinds, but within the context of NOT DOING IT, and even, especially in Dear White People, attempting to explore other modes of social expression and culture -- and both are very funny and witty -- withe extremely watchable ensemble actors.

I also saw The Favorite on HBO this weekend.  It was good, it checked all the boxes you expect for a nice period piece: costumes/acting/casting/good writing...but beyond that, I don't know, 10 Academy Award nominations seems a little over the top.

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I also saw The Favorite on HBO this weekend.  It was good, it checked all the boxes you expect for a nice period piece: costumes/acting/casting/good writing...but beyond that, I don't know, 10 Academy Award nominations seems a little over the top.

Agreed. It was enjoyable, but it screamed overrated Oscar bait. 

21 hours ago, Triskele said:

I finally saw The Favourite now that it's come to HBO.  Glad I didn't do the theater for this one.  Not bad but nothing special.  Thought the male lead was Nick Hoult for quite a while until the wig and makeup came off.  

Which male are you referring to? Nicholas Hoult was one of the males and i would have considered him a male lead (while noting men are mostly in the background in this film)

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Agreed. It was enjoyable, but it screamed overrated Oscar bait. 

How so? I hesitate to call this Oscar bait because it seems very true to the director’s style, not something dreamt up purely to pander to oscar voters

I watched Wildlife on Netflix, it's Paul Dano's first feature and has Jake Gylenhaal & Carey Mulligan. It surprised me in a few ways. I think it's a decent film for a first time director, it's a gorgeous looking film & Mulligan is the star of the the movie. The cinematography is also excellent. I think the story lacks a little bit of direction in terms of the story, but I still think it's quite decent

As an aside, uk netflix is miles better than us netflix for movies.

I watched the German film Hagazussa. It had an intriguing trailer and was compared to The Witch a lot so I figured why not? I don’t mind a slow burn but this was on a whole other level.  It must’ve had at least 10 minutes of mountain scenery shots alone. The production value and acting was all good but just not much happens. Meh

I can see The Favourite being called overrated(which I don’t agree with), but Oscar bait? I mean I guess it checks some boxes, like it being a historical period piece with big named actors and beautiful costumes design. But it uniquely plays out like a black comedy that didn’t seem to take itself too seriously, and actually has substance at the same time.

If anything, I will say that Lanthimos didn’t make it as weird as some of his other movies. But he didn’t write this one either that’s kind of a moot point.

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

Well, I stand corrected.  I totally didn't recognize him once the makeup was off.

I wasn't sure if you were just referring to one of the other men as the "lead" there as I would struggle to say which of them are really leads. I'm not too familiar with Hoult really but have seemed to see him cropping up an awful lot since I saw him in The Favourite - as always seems to be the case.

Curious, did you have a scene you found particularly memorable? I thought the film was great, especially in terms of performances (Colman absolutely deserved that Oscar) and full of memorable moments. In terms of comedy, performance and raw emotion though, I think that dance scene was especially compelling. The absurdity of the dance, Colman's silent performance conveying Ann's feelings of isolation and depression.. stunning

Been hunting out movies on Netflix that I've never heard of an are considered underrated. 

My first choice was a little Irish movie called 'The Young Offenders', about two young lads who go off to find their fortune hunting for some bales of cocaine washed up off the Irish coast. It was very charming and fun and pretty funny. It was a standard coming of age tale with all the usual tropes but I really enjoyed it.

Secondly been watching 'The Uncured', a zombie movie with an unusual premise: that they find a cure and the zombies have to be integrated back into society. Its a great idea but I'm not so sure about the execution so far.. I'd assume people infected by a terrible disease would get a bit more sympathy than they do in the movie, even if they used to be violent monsters. It felt like a movie trying to make a social point rather than making sense.

Finally finished off Black Mirror S4.  I didn't think any of the stories were particularly strong.  The only one that didn't feel out of place was the first episode, and that one was only ok.  The second episode was positively bad.  That the third one was ok until the last 1/3rd or so when it was pretty predictable and kinda tropey.

Decide to do a rewatch of parks and rec for the next few weeks.

23 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

How so? I hesitate to call this Oscar bait because it seems very true to the director’s style, not something dreamt up purely to pander to oscar voters

Perhaps you're right in the macro sense as I have not seen any of his other films to the best of my knowledge. It's just how it felt to me though, which got me wondering if culture plays a role in that perspective. You could use the same structure and tone for a Western and I'd be less likely to see it as Oscar bait because there's already a level of familiarity there.

:dunno:

21 hours ago, Triskele said:

Well, I stand corrected.  I totally didn't recognize him once the makeup was off.

Never admit error to an inferior ape! Homo sapiens must learn that pan troglodytes is the greatest of all apes!

Archived