Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

Ramsay B.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Disney is considering rebooting Home Alone.

May.

God.
Have.

Mercy.

On.

Us.

All.

Not sure why there is outrage about this. Have people forgotten the what.. five home alone movies that already exist? Including the holiday one from 2012?  

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Not sure why there is outrage about this. Have people forgotten the what.. five home alone movies that already exist? Including the holiday one from 2012?  

Don’t try and remake a perfect movie. Also, conceptually it simply wouldn’t work in this day and age.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Maybe they'll do 2 solo films for each villain and one for the kid and one for the bird lady before bringing them all together for home alone?

We saw Hobbes & Shaw today... here's the thing, its not really an action movie... recently --over the past few years-- there's been a new genre that I call "self aware action comedy"... Ryan Reynolds (who is also in this movie) and the Rock are naturals at this.... with that in mind, the movie was hilarious...

I mean, the action sequences are absurd, but in this context, they work, (physics be damned) whereas in the Fast & Furious flicks, (which take themselves entirely too serious)  they are just --IMO-- friggin stupid... 

... and Vanessa Kirby is fantastic

I finished The Boys S1.  Very, very good.  I’ll post specifics in the dedicated thread.  But highly recommended. 

Almost finished Dark S2 during flights this week.  Also very good. 

After a few months of not-great TV, I suddenly hit on two great ones at the same time. 

I also watch La La Land last night. Now that was a bad idea. I wouldn’t be able to say what that movie is about because really, it is about absolutely nothing, and even that little it’s trying to be about is completely far fetched and unrealistic to the point the it makes the film contradict itself. 

The acting is fine as long as the film isn’t  breaking its back to be a musical for 10 minutes before it goes back to being a film. The actors are okay singers but the songs are as aimless as the story, there’s no catchy melody, they aren’t tear jerking or dynamic enough to dance to - and maybe thank goodness for that, because every time the actors try to dance or put on musical acting, the film becomes a trainwreck. It’s never established whether these scenes are their imagination or just random musical inserts for the sake of pretending this is a musical. (For which there’s way too much dialogue and television acting) it is also terrible awkward to be continuously pushed back and forth between exaggerated theatre acting and television acting and Emma Stone’s character’s acting (for both theatre and television roles - as I understood). 

The characters are, by the way, hardly relatable as we find out essentially nothing about their personalities and backgrounds, they are both stereotypical struggling artists who then magically succeed after a fierce-ish pep talk. All attempts to make them likable and/or relatable are quickly swept off the table. The one time they feel like real life people with depth and real life struggles is their argument over the surprise dinner. The rest of the film is essentially a awkward, overly colorful kiddy pool with ankle-deep water that’s too little for a swim and too much for a pleasant foot soak. 

Most supporting characters showed their faces once for a musical insert without any background, role or even a one dimensional personality. And we even had no name characters with no lines doing musical inserts for no reason with no purpose or impact or ability to build an atmosphere. 

The plot is essentially nonexistent, it could be condensed into a 45 minute skeleton for a 90 minute film and would still need coherence, completion and characterization. 

The conclusion is unrealistic and contradicts the rest of the film, takes away from the half-assed message  they tried to convey, and has zero emotional impact (on me personally). 

Basically it was a horridly boring and sometimes irritating waste of two hours. /rant 

Have to totally disagree with you on this, and I think you completely missed what La La Land is. It’s a musical in the old Hollywood tradition, which is probably why it did so well at the oscars.

I listen to the soundtrack even now quite often and ‘City of Stars’ is a song that’s gone everywhere and is certainly memorable, as is ‘someone in the crowd’

Its not a perfect movie, I know many don’t like the ending but I loved the sadness of it. There’s plenty of good reasons to criticise the movie but it just sounded like you went in wanting something you were never gonna get from this movie

My roommate in NYC was a professional dancer, and her, her dance company, and my other theater friends almost all disliked La La Land for one reason or another. She said the dancing was terrific considering their not being lifelong career dancers. She went so far as to ask me if Ryan Gosling's specific dancing was actually a professional dancer body double, with his face digitally added. I told her that'd be absurdly expensive for a simple musical, and she was somewhat resentful that her $120,000 private school dance degree was matched by Gosling's natural talent and brief training for this movie.

I am not into musicals at all, but I generally enjoyed the song and dance scenes. As stated above, seemed like a pleasant throwback to harmless classic musicals. I was moderately surprised at the bittersweet ending instead of a saccharine one, but generally appreciated that part. It's certainly divisive, as I've heard a bunch of people who seem to have vehemently hated having to sit through it.

56 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

LaLa Land:  Went in expecting to hate it.  Expectations met.

I’m glad I’m not the only one. 

I generally really enjoy musicals, old Hollywood ones and actual live musicals as well. La La Land, to me, resembled neither. I could see the underlying aspiration, but it doesn’t even compare to them, in my opinion. 

On 8/9/2019 at 3:57 PM, Martell Spy said:

Same here. Just saw the trailer. It's a bit ridiculous, but I can totally get behind a regular chef kicking ass.

It's ridiculous fun. The action outweighs the slightly hammy moments and the end of episode 4 suggested the story might not be as straightforward as initially appears.

Watched brightburn this evening. A good horror version of the superman origin with some effective gore. Works well for those who enjoyed "the boys" in the sense super powered people can do almost anything.

30 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m watching Dark. Very conflicted about it so far. 

Conflicted because you cant decide if you love it or really love it?

Actually having tried to get people to watch Dark a couple of times I realised that the first couple of episodes are kinda slow and it takes a while to really warm up. I remember personally having to force myself to watch it. By about the 3rd or 4th ep though I was completely hooked.

Archived