Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

Ramsay B.

Just came back from Hobbs & Shaw... The phrase 'gloriously dumb' was invented for this film. I enjoyed it, but my God is it stupid. It might be the dumbest film that I have ever seen (and that includes The Room, Samurai Cop & Troll 2), bit of dick move of them to spoil GoT in the end credit sequence (luckily I was warned, so I left the theatre in time). I do wonder how they'll take the series onwards from this... I read somewhere (it might be here, might be elsewhere) a comment along the line of 'they have to go to space if they keep on upping the ante like this.' Whatever happened to Point Break with cars?

Recently also saw two other films. One was Support your local gunslinger, which is almost as dumb as Hobbs & Shaw but not as fun. Can't believe I finished it to be very honest, would not recommend it.

Luckily, the other film more than made up for it. I finally saw Billy Wilder's The Apartment. It's rightly known as a classic and I would recommend it to everyone. Great acting performances all around, crackling dialogue and a genuinely exciting plot. Good to know that I can still bump into genuinely great movies from time to time. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Conflicted because you cant decide if you love it or really love it?

Actually having tried to get people to watch Dark a couple of times I realised that the first couple of episodes are kinda slow and it takes a while to really warm up. I remember personally having to force myself to watch it. By about the 3rd or 4th ep though I was completely hooked.

I couldn’t get by the first 2 episodes. I will try again though as my sister really loves it.

I finally started watching Snowfall. The pilot was great and it’s been pretty good after that so I will continue. A little sloppy at times with some odd decisions:

Spoiler

I thought I skipped an episode when Andrea from Breaking Bad was talking about killing the security guy and how it almost went wrong. Also then an episode starts with the plane randomly crashed in the desert. They both obviously happened offscreen, but I was initially kinda confused. 

I watched season one of Fleabag awhile back, and that did not connect with me at all.  Didn't remotely live up to the hype it had in these threads, but this weekend I watched Derry Girls and that well exceeded the hype it has had here.  So many wonderful characters - Orla's my favorite of the main "girls" - and the secondary characters shine so brightly.  Barristan Selmy as Granda Joe, Sister Michael and her muttered comments, and the all too sparse Father Peter made me smile every time they appeared.

4 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I watched season one of Fleabag awhile back, and that did not connect with me at all.  Didn't remotely live up to the hype it had in these threads, but this weekend I watched Derry Girls and that well exceeded the hype it has had here.  So many wonderful characters - Orla's my favorite of the main "girls" - and the secondary characters shine so brightly.  Barristan Selmy as Granda Joe, Sister Michael and her muttered comments, and the all too sparse Father Peter made me smile every time they appeared.

Have to second that on Fleabag. Wanted to watch it after loving Killing eve and it getting over the top reviews. 

But it didn’t feel fresh or interesting to me at all in the way it was described by people. In fact all it made me want to do was switch it off and watch Peep Show , which it reminded me so much of.  Unlike Jez and Mark from Peep show, who are highly flawed characters, Fleabags character isn’t likeable or funny enough to keep me interested. 

Im sure for some people it hit the right notes but for me it just feel like a poor mans Peep Show so I’ve tuned out. Shame because I thought her writing on Killing Eve was great.

Watched the first two episodes of Fosse/Verdon last night after a l-o-n-g wait and it was as brilliant as I expected it to be with Sam Rockwell and Michelle Williams as the leads. My husband had sworn never to watch another thing with Michelle Williams in it so I had to let him come to this in his own time/way. But we are both enjoying it immensely. I am savagely hating the later Fosse comb-over and hoping that it appears in zero sex scenes as it will tip the creep level too far for decency. The actress playing Liza Minnelli (playing Sally Bowles) in the Cabaret sections looks far more muscular in the upper body than the real Liza did. I guess dancers look different these days. (Just watched the original Mein Herr for comparison *dreamy sigh*).

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Conflicted because you cant decide if you love it or really love it?

Actually having tried to get people to watch Dark a couple of times I realised that the first couple of episodes are kinda slow and it takes a while to really warm up. I remember personally having to force myself to watch it. By about the 3rd or 4th ep though I was completely hooked.

I can’t decide if it’s mysterious and enjoyable or aimless and irritating. I mean I would like to see some things starting to come together to believe that the show knows what it’s doing instead of just capitalizing on the atmosphere building and hoping it’ll take the audience’s mind off the plot. On the other hand, the human drama side of the story is quite well done, the acting is strong and the characterization is interesting yet still within the fence of realistic and relatable. 

Spoiler

On a third hand, it low key irritates me that screenwriters think that the main hangout place for teenagers and children(!) in the 21st century is a sketchy dark forest. Or that these forests don’t get a police perimeter and guarding officers the moment there are dead bodies and disappearances. I grew up in the country and there was a forest around us, but no kid or teen, absolutely nobody went there to hang out. 

I watched episodes 5-6 last night. Still waiting for the hook. Also there were a few bits that made 

56 minutes ago, Raja said:

But..but she's so good in all the stuff I've seen her in!

Don't watch "venom" if you want to maintain that winning streak. A classic case of someone phoning it in for a paycheck. Don't really begrudge her as the script for the character left little room for inspiration and she probably made enough money off it to do ten of her better indie roles.

38 minutes ago, Raja said:

As much as I like Riz Ahmed & Williams, I'm probably never going to watch Venom

( Also, please someone cast Riz in half decent movies)

He was in Rogue One and Nightcrawer. I think he’s been doing ok since Four Lions

oh plus he was in The OA.

31 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Not a movie, but he was also really good in The Night Of miniseries. 

I've seen him in all of those, but yeah - the Night Of was good, but I want to see him in better and more fleshed out roles, as opposed to playing bit part side roles, than the ones he had in nightcrawler & rogue one ( nightcrawler was still okay, rogue one was pretty bit part, imo)

17 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Derry Girls doesnt have a massive following on the forum but pretty much everyone who has watched it has loved it. Sister Michael is my favourite.

its hugely popular in the uk thoguh

Detective Pikachu has a surprising amount of heart. It's no where near as funny as I had hoped for, but it was overall a good viewing experience. Well worth the watch if you have kids and/or were just a fan of the overall product. 

Got bored and watched The Kitchen this weekend, whoops. The acting is poor, the plot makes little sense especially

Spoiler

That one of the women, of color from Harlem, planned years in advance to take over Hells Kitchen by marrying a weak Irish mobster. And that she would use an FBI agent to get the husbands locked up. That whole scene was ridiculous. They come out from a hold up, armed and hyped up, get confronted at the door by two FBI agents with guns drawn, no one shoots and the Irish guys just say fuck it and beat up the two feds, who were aiming guns at them! Then sirens sound and two squad cars show up and the same Irish guys just give up. 

Maybe it's just me but this whole movie didn't work very well.

On 8/12/2019 at 12:59 PM, Raja said:

But..but she's so good in all the stuff I've seen her in!

She's brilliant. But seeing Blue Valentine followed by Take this Waltz in the space of a year was too depressing for my husband. I don't have a limit for bleak, but some people do.

Anyone who watched the first season of Knightfall should really treat themselves to the second season as well. I really wasn't going to because the S1 finale was so bad... HOWEVER Mark Hamill is bloody brilliant. Please treat yourself. :)

I watched Adrift on Friday night and it's a strong non-rec from me. I think that the film probably doesn't do justice to the story of a young woman surviving alone for 40-odd days at sea. It's not an especially memorable performance from Shailene Woodley and as for the guy playing her boyfriend... there's just something really punchable about his face, plus he sums up all the characteristics of awful boyfriends. Bleurgh. No.

8 minutes ago, Isis said:

She's brilliant. But seeing Blue Valentine followed by Take this Waltz in the space of a year was too depressing for my husband. I don't have a limit for bleak, but some people do.

I feel like Manchester by the sea should complete that trilogy.

I need to see Blue Valentine.

20 hours ago, Raja said:

I really need to get onto Derry Girls. I've only heard good things.

You should :D

On 8/12/2019 at 3:13 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

but this weekend I watched Derry Girls and that well exceeded the hype it has had here.  So many wonderful characters - Orla's my favorite of the main "girls" - and the secondary characters shine so brightly.  Barristan Selmy as Granda Joe, Sister Michael and her muttered comments, and the all too sparse Father Peter made me smile every time they appeared.

:grouphug: Welcome to our little cult of Derry lovers! We grow stronger every day :commie:

21 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Derry Girls doesnt have a massive following on the forum but pretty much everyone who has watched it has loved it. Sister Michael is my favourite.

its hugely popular in the uk thoguh

Unfortunately not, I think a lot of people still aren't willing to give it a chance. I can't blame them, because the synopsis at first glance isn't something that would appeal to me either, but damn it, it's gold!

Archived