Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

Ramsay B.

For me, Derry Girls is splendidly balanced by the new HBO comedy series, Black Lady Comedy Sketch Show.

https://www.wired.com/story/black-lady-sketch-show-tv-comedy/

I love Derry Girls and I love this too.

Big differences though -- Derry Girls are girls, very young girls, who we can see on netflix.  Black Lady Comedy Sketch are adult 'ladies', who we can see on HBO.

Both are utterly nutz, both are utterly cultural-social embedded, both just crack me up -- and not much can do that these days.

Just finished Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain. Never seen it before and I have to admit it was quite good. A bit too whimsical for my taste, but it was enjoyable. Good actors, nice music and I liked the way it was shot. It could have been shorter though, it wandered a bit too much. 

There was a time where British comedy was everywhere and there were works of genius around almost every week. Now the best we seem to be able to do is Derry Girls which I guess is ok , can’t say I’ve ever laughed at it but I can see it’s qualities. 

Im not sure what happened in the last 10-20 years but it’s harder and harder to find any good British comedy

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

You should :D

I'm bad at starting new shows. I feel like I watch *way* more movies than TV. For example, I finished the first season of fleabag a couple of months ago and haven't started the second one. And I still have the last two episodes of big little lies to go!

Finished the latest Poldark episode. Don't know why the old thread isn't active anymore, it's still as gorgeous as ever and George has been deliciously evil as always :)

2 hours ago, Raja said:

I'm bad at starting new shows. I feel like I watch *way* more movies than TV. For example, I finished the first season of fleabag a couple of months ago and haven't started the second one. And I still have the last two episodes of big little lies to go!

It's only a few episodes of 20 minutes ;) Slot in one of them during a lost moment and you'll be going through the rest of it ASAP :) 

8 hours ago, Raja said:

I feel like Manchester by the sea should complete that trilogy.

I need to see Blue Valentine.

Yes. It's a sad film. But MW isn't in that much of it.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Im not sure what happened in the last 10-20 years but it’s harder and harder to find any good British comedy

Did you watch Flowers on C4, with Olivia Coleman? It was a little bit like Spaced. But more of a black comedy though. This reminds me that I still need to watch S2. 

2 minutes ago, Isis said:

Did you watch Flowers on C4, with Olivia Coleman? It was a little bit like Spaced. But more of a black comedy though. This reminds me that I still need to watch S2. 

I have and I quite liked it. I wanted to also like it more, but it didn't quite have a rhythm to it, and also it just wasn't actually all that funny. More quirky and a bit dark. 

I thought a bit about it after I posted and you can reel off amazing British comedies from 20 years ago, and some great ones from 10 years ago.. but somewhere along the line they've become fewer and fewer. I seriously wonder if it is to do with the rise of panel game shows, which seem to suck up and comedic talent and force them into formats that make them attack each other for laughs. 

The best British comedy I've seen for a while is the children's TV show Horrible History! Says it all.

42 minutes ago, Isis said:

Yes. It's a sad film. But MW isn't in that much of it.

I loved Flowers! Didnt realise there was a second series, excellent!

As for British comedy declining, eh. I love the older comedies as much as the next person but i feel much of that is nostalgia (they were my childhood, albeit they were re-runs and/or vhs tapes). If i stand back and try to judge them more objectively they aren’t exactly fantastic

Yeah I don't think the sitcom has ever been where British comedy has ever consistently excelled. We throw up the occasional stone-cold classic, but I don't like quite a few of the old ones personally, and even if you do consider all of the ones people revere, I think you're basically doing the thing where you're comparing a long time with a short time- comparing a decade's worth of comedy with just the last couple of years, and mulching everything before about 2000 into one big thing when if you actually look at when those shows came out it wasn't a constant string of successes.

It is true that the panel show has become the most common form of British TV comedy but I don't really think that's affected the sitcom situation much. Sketch shows, maybe. I also don't think it's a bad thing necessarily- obviously they have to be careful about how long they run because there's a definite tendency to overrun them until they get stale, but British panel shows are great. It's more of a form of interactive, mostly improvised stand-up than competition for sitcoms.

Hmm, I just watched a horror movie called Lake Nowhere. It really frustrated me. It's filmed like it was made in the 80s, and it truly evokes the Evil Dead unlike anything I've seen since...well, Evil Dead, but this movie is a mess. It's only 50 minutes (actually 40 after the fake movie trailers in front of it...but those trailers are a mess and just start making you think you're watching the movie three times before it truly starts), so if you like retro horror with great visuals, I guess watch this. Or don't.

12 hours ago, Veltigar said:
On 8/12/2019 at 1:13 PM, Raja said:

I really need to get onto Derry Girls. I've only heard good things.

You should :D

Yes, you really should.  Like I said, nothing about Flee Bag compelled me to watch season 2, but I'm already contemplating watching Derry Girls from the beginning again.

12 hours ago, Veltigar said:

:grouphug: Welcome to our little cult of Derry lovers! We grow stronger every day :commie:

Unfortunately not, I think a lot of people still aren't willing to give it a chance. I can't blame them, because the synopsis at first glance isn't something that would appeal to me either, but damn it, it's gold!

:cheers:

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

Derry Girls are girls, very young girls, who we can see on netflix.

Most of whom are played by surprisingly aged actors.  And I thought Hollywood was bad about having older people playing teens - Clare is 32!

On 8/13/2019 at 7:40 AM, Isis said:

Anyone who watched the first season of Knightfall should really treat themselves to the second season as well. I really wasn't going to because the S1 finale was so bad... HOWEVER Mark Hamill is bloody brilliant. Please treat yourself. :)

Really?  I was thinking of skipping this because the ending was so bad and the rest was only slightly better than average.  It was ok, so is the 2nd season markedly better storywise?

I started watching Succession, which I am liking, although it's a pretty tense watch--with all the main characters being emotionally abused/abusive, every time Kendall opens his mouth I feel that I need a sedative to watch him.  Also, the characters are unlikable about 90% of the time, I'm not sure why I am watching it, but there it is.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I started watching Succession, which I am liking, although it's a pretty tense watch--with all the main characters being emotionally abused/abusive, every time Kendall opens his mouth I feel that I need a sedative to watch him.  Also, the characters are unlikable about 90% of the time, I'm not sure why I am watching it, but there it is.

Not only are the characters the most unattractive in terms of the personalities and who they are.  As well as being 100% unsympathetic on the inside -- on the outside they are about the most unattractive people ever seen on a television set centering the luxe life of the obscenely wealthy.  They can't even dress right.  My god the characters have terrible clothes sense.  It's all so appropriate for who these disgusting people are that being portrayed on screen.  There are NO redeeming traits or actions on the part of a single one of them.  This is reflected also in the very choppy unpleasant camera work too.  It's gotta take some guts, maybe? to make a series this unpleasant.  Or, maybe not, as the critics seem to love it.  I actually don't love it.  I may well not watch it anymore.  There's nothing to be got out of it, yanno?  Not even entertainment as they are so unattached to the world that the rest of live in, 24/7. Lust for power and envy of others are the only motivations -- plus, of course, the cruelties they can so casually dish out to the rest of us. 

On 8/12/2019 at 2:46 PM, Heartofice said:

He was in Rogue One and Nightcrawer. I think he’s been doing ok since Four Lions

oh plus he was in The OA.

I haven't watched four lions but the other three are excellent 8-9/10 tv/films.

16 hours ago, aceluby said:

Really?  I was thinking of skipping this because the ending was so bad and the rest was only slightly better than average.  It was ok, so is the 2nd season markedly better storywise?

At least treat yourself to the first episode because Mark Hamill.

I don't know really. I'm three eps in and it's silly. I think it's always going to be silly. I thought with that the third ep it might have had an increse in quality but I think it's just gone for beat-you-over-the-head gravitas instead.

Archived