Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

Ramsay B.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:17 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Yes, you really should.  Like I said, nothing about Flee Bag compelled me to watch season 2, but I'm already contemplating watching Derry Girls from the beginning again.

I feel that sentiment. I actually really liked the 1st season of Fleabag and watched season 2 and liked it nearly as well. But, something about Derry Girls made me want to re-watch. Which I did before watching the next season. Some shows are extremely well done and can be appreciated as such, but some have that weird magic that makes you want to watch them again and again.

Side note; if you like Derry Girls there's an amazing show from a few years back streaming on Hulu called Moone Boy that I highly recommend. Written by Chris O'Dowd about his childhood in a small town in 1989 Ireland, it had 3 short seasons of glory (like so many great shows from the UK and Ireland) and in my opinion has some of the best kid acting anywhere. ;) 

On 8/14/2019 at 11:44 AM, Cas Stark said:

I started watching Succession, which I am liking, although it's a pretty tense watch--with all the main characters being emotionally abused/abusive, every time Kendall opens his mouth I feel that I need a sedative to watch him.  Also, the characters are unlikable about 90% of the time, I'm not sure why I am watching it, but there it is.

Oh man you're right. Something about their collective horridness is enticing to watch but the writing blends the humor and tragedy of their lives in such a way that you can root for them while hating them without even thinking about it. 

I'm about to re-watch the 1st season before diving into the 2nd...

On 8/14/2019 at 1:43 PM, Zorral said:

on the outside they are about the most unattractive people ever seen on a television set centering the luxe life of the obscenely wealthy.  They can't even dress right.  My god the characters have terrible clothes sense. 

Politics aside; have you seen how Donald Trump dresses?

On 8/14/2019 at 1:43 PM, Zorral said:

There are NO redeeming traits or actions on the part of a single one of them.  This is reflected also in the very choppy unpleasant camera work too.  It's gotta take some guts, maybe? to make a series this unpleasant.

I think you're wrong about the characters having no redeeming traits. I don't wanted to list examples out as we can just assume they do. I mean, even the characters on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia have some redeemable qualities and they're the actual worst humans ever shown on television. But anyway, your second point is right. In that the camera work reflects the nature of the story and tries to help convey the emotional connection with the characters that the director etc., want you to feel. In this case I guess it is dislike and unease with them. That being said, I didn't find the use of that detrimental to the show. But that's subjective of course. ;) 

I just watched the first 2 episodes of Years and Years on Amazon/HBO/BBC and it is amazingly good! My wife wanted to watch it, and I read the description/synapses thing they put on streaming services first but didn't find it interesting or informational. Luckily for me I was feeling saucy and said "Fuck it. Let's watch whatever you want to watch." (Just kidding. She always has great recos and I would never pretend otherwise on the internet)

Super relevant in its subject matter while still feeling original. It is pretty intense but with an underlying thread of wonderful dark humor. Again, only 2 episodes into it but 10 out of 10 thumbs so far.

9 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

I just watched the first 2 episodes of Years and Years on Amazon/HBO/BBC and it is amazingly good! My wife wanted to watch it, and I read the description/synapses thing they put on streaming services first but didn't find it interesting or informational. Luckily for me I was feeling saucy and said "Fuck it. Let's watch whatever you want to watch." (Just kidding. She always has great recos and I would never pretend otherwise on the internet)

Super relevant in its subject matter while still feeling original. It is pretty intense but with an underlying thread of wonderful dark humor. Again, only 2 episodes into it but 10 out of 10 thumbs so far.

This is a brilliant series, in every way!

14 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Watched a bit of Netflix's Mindhunter season 2. Looks like another fantastic season. Still one of the best shows on TV.

Just finished the Manson episode. Good stuff. Damon Herriman was an absolutely perfect casting. Kind of wish Once Upon a Time in Hollywood would have given him more to do. 

23 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

Side note; if you like Derry Girls there's an amazing show from a few years back streaming on Hulu called Moone Boy that I highly recommend. Written by Chris O'Dowd about his childhood in a small town in 1989 Ireland, it had 3 short seasons of glory (like so many great shows from the UK and Ireland) and in my opinion has some of the best kid acting anywhere. ;) 

Moone Boy was great.  It definitely didn't have the same magic that Derry Girls does though. 

I watched Alita: Battle Angel last night, was not impressed.  The kid playing Hugo was terrible.

Saw Cool Hand Luke on the plane the other day. Good film, but a little dated I'd say. I appreciated it much more after reading Ebert's great review of the film, which made me understand the context more, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as classics like The Wild Bunch, Once Upon a Time in the West, Planet of the Apes and others from around the same time I can remember. Paul Newman is great though and it's very evocative of its setting. 

46 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Saw Cool Hand Luke on the plane the other day. Good film, but a little dated I'd say. I appreciated it much more after reading Ebert's great review of the film, which made me understand the context more, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as classics like The Wild Bunch, Once Upon a Time in the West, Planet of the Apes and others from around the same time I can remember. Paul Newman is great though and it's very evocative of its setting. 

Cool Hand Luke is definitely on my list of films to see. I wasn't that familiar with Paul Newman, other than being aware of who he was, as he was a bit before my time. Also, want to see the Sting. I try to make it a point to catch up on a classic film every New Year's and last year I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Great film and Newman completely stole the show. I get why the man has his own salad dressing now. 

Cool Hand Luke is still pretty great but it has dated in that different aspects of it have been done better by several classics since (Oh Brother Where Art Thou, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Shawshank Redemption being the three that spring to mind, Oh Brother in particular being obviously deliberately inspired in its style and a certain character by Cool Hand Luke).

7 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Cool Hand Luke is definitely on my list of films to see. I wasn't that familiar with Paul Newman, other than being aware of who he was, as he was a bit before my time. Also, want to see the Sting. I try to make it a point to catch up on a classic film every New Year's and last year I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Great film and Newman completely stole the show. I get why the man has his own salad dressing now. 

An old Newman movie with H.Fonda, set in the Northwest logging area, that's kind of interesting as an era snapshot-

Watched Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children last night as it was on telly. I must say I didn't recall it being quite so dark when I read the book. It's quite a nice little film actually. Worth watching whether you have read the book or not. But the most valuable player is definitely Eva Green's eye make up, which echoes that of the bird she is named for. I liked the way they made her peregrine and human form blue-tinged. Very cool.

Currently watching S1 of Mindhunter, not sure why I waited so long to see this. It's a little slow for an episode or two but then the pacing felt better to me. Will be into S2 tomorrow.  I like the detailed insight about what they do and how much resistance they faced when starting something new like this.

I don't watch much of anything these days but Succession is a can't miss for me. Fucking love this show and am a bit surprised by the lack of accolades for it here. I once worked for the Murdochs, back in the day, and am absolutely fascinated by the fictional depiction of them on Succession. If there is a better show around someone needs to tell me about it. 

You know what would actually make Succession a worth while show?  Showing down the line Siobhan "Shiv" Roy becoming a procurer of victims for a pedophiles the way  Ghislaine Noelle Marion Maxwell did for Epstein et al. as the only solution to keeping her lifestyle when daddy ends up giving it to the boys after all, or after dad's dead, the boys gang together to take it from her, like the sons of Ghenghis Khan did to take from their sister(s) the kingdoms he gave them.

Binge-watched a load of telly recently. 

The Boys - This was great. Very addictive. I don't feel particularly attached to any of the characters (partly through mental self-preservation; you feel everyone will either end up horribly dead or just horrible), but it's enjoyable to watch as a dissection of superhero fantasy, and blackly funny. Glad it's getting a second season. 

The Tick - Occupying the other end of the tonal spectrum. Whereas everyone in The Boys stays away from the fourth wall, this is a much much more light-hearted and gentle romp through comic book tropes. I'm sad it's been cancelled. Lovely to relax to in the evenings after work. The title character reminded me of Minsc from the Baldur's Gate games. 

Bertie and Tuca - Netflix animation about two millennial flatmates, who are also birds. Wasn't sure if I'd like it at all, but ended up pleasantly surprised. Zany without being annoyingly so. It's been cancelled after one season, and now it looks as if I'll never find out if Bertie and Speckles stay together, and whether Tuca will find any resolution for her issues. 

The Magicians  - The only dud of the lot. I wanted to like it - if I had, I could have spent the next month catching up on its many seasons - however, it seemed to take a look at magical coming-of-age stories, and decide that they were all too full of humour and wonderment. So it stuck in a load of self-pitying bores as the main characters, and gave the least personality possible to everyone else. Gave up half-way through the first season. 

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

You know what would actually make Succession a worth while show?  Showing down the line Siobhan "Shiv" Roy becoming a procurer of victims for a pedophiles the way  Ghislaine Noelle Marion Maxwell did for Epstein et al. as the only solution to keeping her lifestyle when daddy ends up giving it to the boys after all, or after dad's dead, the boys gang together to take it from her, like the sons of Ghenghis Khan did to take from their sister(s) the kingdoms he gave them.

oookay....

Archived