Ramsay B.

Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

3 hours ago, aceluby said:

Finished up Stranger Things S3, which was kinda fun to watch, but  I was really hoping for something new and got a 3rd rehash of the same basic story, this time with even more 80's nostalgia and awkward kids in puberty!  I'm really hoping they just wrap it up next season....

Also finished up Sneaky Pete, which I feel was cancelled for the same reason I didn't love Stranger Things, after season 1 there just wasn't a whole lot there to keep it moving.  I liked it more than Stranger Things, but also thought it was given a fitting end.

Started up Bosch in the meantime and am over half way through the first season and it's just not gripping me.  It's just SOOOOO tropey.  It feels like they took Brooklyn 99 and didn't pick up that it's a comedy, so turned the parody back into a drama.  There's a few seasons, so I'll give it at least through mid-2nd season, but so far I'm not impressed.  

Stranger things S3 was the weakest but still a fun few hours of entertainment.

Sneaky Pete, I watched S1 and liked it but just can't get myself to start S2

Bosch, its an enjoyable cop show. I liked it quite a bit even though it's of course over the top. The last season was probably the worst IMO.

Lately I've been looking at top 25 and top 50 all-time movie lists, and I'm happy to say that I've already seen most of them. However, there was one that was on basically every list that I hadn't see: All About Eve. I knew the general premise of the film, but it was not what I expected at all. I was under the impression that it was significantly darker than it actually was. Overall I have to agree that it was a great film even if I didn't get what I wanted out of it. Also, I didn't realize that one of my childhood crushes, Anne Baxter, was the titular character. 

The Great Hack, Netflix.  Investigative reporting on how Face Book in collaboration with Cambridge Analytica threw the election to tvillain. This includes the testimony of one of those who aided and abetted it.  She says, it was because she wanted to make some money, and now she's sorry, sort of, kind of (but still has the money).

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lately I've been looking at top 25 and top 50 all-time movie lists, and I'm happy to say that I've already seen most of them. However, there was one that was on basically every list that I hadn't see: All About Eve. I knew the general premise of the film, but it was not what I expected at all. I was under the impression that it was significantly darker than it actually was. Overall I have to agree that it was a great film even if I didn't get what I wanted out of it. Also, I didn't realize that one of my childhood crushes, Anne Baxter, was the titular character. 

What did you want out of it?

On 7/24/2019 at 7:17 PM, dbunting said:

First Man, ehh, was boring as hell to me. Found myself checking my phone while watching and fast forwarding some.

Watching that now... visually beautiful, but soooooo boring.

22 hours ago, red snow said:

I think "take this waltz" was a lot "worse" than "blue valentine" in terms of relationships disintegrating often at the fault of no one in particular but at personal issues. 

Definitely, yes. We felt broken after we left the cinema and got on a bus to the station. We barely spoke. 

And then my husband swore he'd never watch another Michelle Williams film again because she sucks all the joy out of life. However, he's agreed to try watching the first episode of Fosse/Verdon which is FINALLY on tv in the UK this Friday. 

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Definitely, yes. We felt broken after we left the cinema and got on a bus to the station. We barely spoke. 

And then my husband swore he'd never watch another Michelle Williams film again because she sucks all the joy out of life. However, he's agreed to try watching the first episode of Fosse/Verdon which is FINALLY on tv in the UK this Friday. 

She does seem to love soul destroying roles. Then she did "venom" so maybe she's exhausted from it all too.

13 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

What did you want out of it?

Idk, like I said, I expected it to be a lot darker. For example, I thought there was an attempted murder aspect to the story. Oh well, it was still great.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk, like I said, I expected it to be a lot darker. For example, I thought there was an attempted murder aspect to the story. Oh well, it was still great.

Interesting.  It's one of my favorite movies, but if you were expecting it to be more noirish, that must have been jarring since there is actually a fair amount of comedy.  But, what a screenplay that was!  I must have seen this movie at least a dozen times by now, LOL. 

23 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Interesting.  It's one of my favorite movies, but if you were expecting it to be more noirish, that must have been jarring since there is actually a fair amount of comedy.  But, what a screenplay that was!  I must have seen this movie at least a dozen times by now, LOL. 

I was aware that it was partially a comedy, so that didn’t shock me. I just expected a dark comedy. Either way though it has a perfect ending, and it really brought the story full circle.

Really wasn't digging the last few seasons of Orange is the New Black, but 9 episodes into the final one and I gotta say, I think it's the best they've done.

Still haven't seen the new Tarantino, hoping to maybe get out and catch a late showing tonight.

6 hours ago, nah said:

Really wasn't digging the last few seasons of Orange is the New Black, but 9 episodes into the final one and I gotta say, I think it's the best they've done.

Still haven't seen the new Tarantino, hoping to maybe get out and catch a late showing tonight.

Really? I had given up on it one episode into the last season. Do I have to go back and finish it? 

Started Schitt's Creek based on its Emmy nomination and a trusted recommendation. I finished the first 3 episodes and don't think I laughed once. What am I missing? Do I need to give it more time? 

On 7/26/2019 at 8:04 AM, Corvinus said:

I've watched the first 2 episodes of The Boys, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Just finished episode 2. I’m in.

I saw the new movie Skin starring Jamie Bell as a white supremacist trying to change his life. It was decent with some good performances by all, including Bill Camp and Vera Farmiga. I was excited because Daniel Henshall was in it(the maniac from Snowtown), but his role was unfortunately a minor one. It’s worth a watch but nothing groundbreaking.

I really liked S3 of Stranger Things too, better than S2. I do hope they wrap it up soon though, as someone mentioned upthread. One more solid season would be perfect. 

16 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

Started Schitt's Creek based on its Emmy nomination and a trusted recommendation. I finished the first 3 episodes and don't think I laughed once. What am I missing? Do I need to give it more time? 

I think I lasted 5 episodes before shelving it.  My sister absolutely loves it.  I don't get it.

I switched over to The Boys last night and am glad I did.  Really like this show.

19 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Really? I had given up on it one episode into the last season. Do I have to go back and finish it? 

I gave so little of a shit about season 6 I was stoned through 90% of it and remember nothing. Might want to watch the recap, but it hasn't affected my enjoyment.

Honestly, as much as I feel like the past few seasons dipped in quality, I am sad to see this show end. I don't think people are gauging yet just how much this series has done to humanize prisoners and wake people up to how fucked up our criminal justice system is in a way that's accessible. This might wind up being this generation of television's All in the Family.

On 7/30/2019 at 5:42 PM, Joey Crows said:

Back when it started I watched the first two episodes and bailed.  Same experience of not laughing once.

Sign me up to pile on that the first episode of Schitt's Creek was so damn un-funny that I never got past it. I had several very cool type people rave about it, it got some awards buzz, and the internet seems to like it. But man it sue missed, like, every damn bit they tried, least in that first one.

I watched 3 episodes of The Boys and enjoyed them a lot.

I also watch 1 episode Another Life and it so so bad that it is bad again...