Ramsay B.

Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

I started to watch Mission of Honor about the Polish 303 Squadron during the Battle of Britain.  Started because I fell asleep during it.  How can writers make such a boring movie out of such an interesting story? The aerial combat looked terrible. Iwan Rheon is not a lead actor.  The characters were walking stereotypes. I'll have to look around for the Polish film Squadron 303.

4 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Went to Hobbs and Shaw yesterday. Luckily, it was 5 dollar Tuesday, and I showed up already drunk. Totally worth it.

Spoiler alert, the last battle starts pre-dawn, instantly becomes full daylight, then within 60 seconds is back to nighttime. They simply didn't give a shit about anything in this movie. 

Same except I wasn't drunk, but it was a cheap day and free popcorn day so why not? The first half or maybe middle half wasn't bad for an action movie but that last 30-45 minutes holy hell it sucked.

As to the dawn, daylight, night...didn't they set that up by saying 

Spoiler

the attack would be at dawn and they would use it to advantage, then go to the other side of the island for the kill zone thing where the barrels of gas kept exploding, dawn wouldn't have broke yet?

Although I don't know why I am wasting my time trying to hash out the nonsense that this was!

Also finished S3 of Jessica Jones. I kind of liked it. I liked the way they worked through some issues and I also liked the new character with the headaches. Too bad these are all done. Daredeveil and JJ were both worth watching.

It wasn't night it was a storm. I mean, it came out of nowhere and dreadfully unconvincingly, but they did specifically mention it in the buildup.

But anyway I disagree I thought the final third was just as stupidly awesome as the rest. It was really an action-comedy and it knew it.

The second unannounced cameo cracked me up throughout, and I generally find that person very tiresome. 

What was with the evil villain over the speakers? Was that something referring to the other Furiously Fast movies? The 'plots' are always so disposable that I hadn't noticed anything recurring about a Bond villain. Elba seemed to be having a terrific time.

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

The second unannounced cameo cracked me up throughout, and I generally find that person very tiresome. 

I was ok with that cameo at first but it dragged on way too long, it reminded me of

Spoiler

Joe Pesci in the Lethal Weapon sequels, Leo Getz, cuz Leo gets you stuff.

7 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

What was with the evil villain over the speakers? Was that something referring to the other Furiously Fast movies? The 'plots' are always so disposable that I hadn't noticed anything recurring about a Bond villain. Elba seemed to be having a terrific time. 

It's conceivable that it's the villain from Fast 8, who will be recurring and was technologically themed, but I doubt it.

I've watched several episodes of Wu Assassin.  The stories pretty basic so far, but the fights are fun :dunno:

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I've watched several episodes of Wu Assassin.  The stories pretty basic so far, but the fights are fun :dunno:

I'm planning on giving that a try primarily for the fight choreography.

I enjoyed the most recent (UK) episode of Legion. Utterly bizarre fairy tail but it worked.

9 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm super excited. The fights are what I'm looking forward to.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm planning on giving that a try primarily for the fight choreography.

I enjoyed the most recent (UK) episode of Legion. Utterly bizarre fairy tail but it worked.

Same here. Just saw the trailer. It's a bit ridiculous, but I can totally get behind a regular chef kicking ass.

Disney is considering rebooting Home Alone.

May.

God.
Have.

Mercy.

On.

Us.

All.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Disney is considering rebooting Home Alone.

May.

God.
Have.

Mercy.

On.

Us.

All.

Not sure why there is outrage about this. Have people forgotten the what.. five home alone movies that already exist? Including the holiday one from 2012?  

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Not sure why there is outrage about this. Have people forgotten the what.. five home alone movies that already exist? Including the holiday one from 2012?  

Don’t try and remake a perfect movie. Also, conceptually it simply wouldn’t work in this day and age.

Rather late to the bandwagon, I just watched Bohemian Rhapsody and I’ve been bawling my eyes out on the last 20 minutes and the end credits. 

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Maybe they'll do 2 solo films for each villain and one for the kid and one for the bird lady before bringing them all together for home alone?

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don’t try and remake a perfect movie. Also, conceptually it simply wouldn’t work in this day and age.

Just wait for the Full House crossover episode.

We saw Hobbes & Shaw today... here's the thing, its not really an action movie... recently --over the past few years-- there's been a new genre that I call "self aware action comedy"... Ryan Reynolds (who is also in this movie) and the Rock are naturals at this.... with that in mind, the movie was hilarious...

I mean, the action sequences are absurd, but in this context, they work, (physics be damned) whereas in the Fast & Furious flicks, (which take themselves entirely too serious)  they are just --IMO-- friggin stupid... 

... and Vanessa Kirby is fantastic

I finished The Boys S1.  Very, very good.  I’ll post specifics in the dedicated thread.  But highly recommended. 

Almost finished Dark S2 during flights this week.  Also very good. 

After a few months of not-great TV, I suddenly hit on two great ones at the same time. 

On 8/5/2019 at 6:22 PM, Raja said:

As an aside, uk netflix is miles better than us netflix for movies.

That pisses me off and I have no doubt you are correct about this.