Ramsay B.

Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

Posted (edited)

I also watch La La Land last night. Now that was a bad idea. I wouldn’t be able to say what that movie is about because really, it is about absolutely nothing, and even that little it’s trying to be about is completely far fetched and unrealistic to the point the it makes the film contradict itself. 

The acting is fine as long as the film isn’t  breaking its back to be a musical for 10 minutes before it goes back to being a film. The actors are okay singers but the songs are as aimless as the story, there’s no catchy melody, they aren’t tear jerking or dynamic enough to dance to - and maybe thank goodness for that, because every time the actors try to dance or put on musical acting, the film becomes a trainwreck. It’s never established whether these scenes are their imagination or just random musical inserts for the sake of pretending this is a musical. (For which there’s way too much dialogue and television acting) it is also terrible awkward to be continuously pushed back and forth between exaggerated theatre acting and television acting and Emma Stone’s character’s acting (for both theatre and television roles - as I understood). 

The characters are, by the way, hardly relatable as we find out essentially nothing about their personalities and backgrounds, they are both stereotypical struggling artists who then magically succeed after a fierce-ish pep talk. All attempts to make them likable and/or relatable are quickly swept off the table. The one time they feel like real life people with depth and real life struggles is their argument over the surprise dinner. The rest of the film is essentially a awkward, overly colorful kiddy pool with ankle-deep water that’s too little for a swim and too much for a pleasant foot soak. 

Most supporting characters showed their faces once for a musical insert without any background, role or even a one dimensional personality. And we even had no name characters with no lines doing musical inserts for no reason with no purpose or impact or ability to build an atmosphere. 

The plot is essentially nonexistent, it could be condensed into a 45 minute skeleton for a 90 minute film and would still need coherence, completion and characterization. 

The conclusion is unrealistic and contradicts the rest of the film, takes away from the half-assed message  they tried to convey, and has zero emotional impact (on me personally). 

Basically it was a horridly boring and sometimes irritating waste of two hours. /rant 

Edited by RhaenysBee

Have to totally disagree with you on this, and I think you completely missed what La La Land is. It’s a musical in the old Hollywood tradition, which is probably why it did so well at the oscars.

I listen to the soundtrack even now quite often and ‘City of Stars’ is a song that’s gone everywhere and is certainly memorable, as is ‘someone in the crowd’

Its not a perfect movie, I know many don’t like the ending but I loved the sadness of it. There’s plenty of good reasons to criticise the movie but it just sounded like you went in wanting something you were never gonna get from this movie

12 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

LaLa Land:  Went in expecting to hate it.  

Me too. I have a deep hatred of the musical genre but for some reason this really worked for me.

My roommate in NYC was a professional dancer, and her, her dance company, and my other theater friends almost all disliked La La Land for one reason or another. She said the dancing was terrific considering their not being lifelong career dancers. She went so far as to ask me if Ryan Gosling's specific dancing was actually a professional dancer body double, with his face digitally added. I told her that'd be absurdly expensive for a simple musical, and she was somewhat resentful that her $120,000 private school dance degree was matched by Gosling's natural talent and brief training for this movie.

I am not into musicals at all, but I generally enjoyed the song and dance scenes. As stated above, seemed like a pleasant throwback to harmless classic musicals. I was moderately surprised at the bittersweet ending instead of a saccharine one, but generally appreciated that part. It's certainly divisive, as I've heard a bunch of people who seem to have vehemently hated having to sit through it.

56 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

LaLa Land:  Went in expecting to hate it.  Expectations met.

I’m glad I’m not the only one. 

I generally really enjoy musicals, old Hollywood ones and actual live musicals as well. La La Land, to me, resembled neither. I could see the underlying aspiration, but it doesn’t even compare to them, in my opinion. 

On 8/9/2019 at 3:57 PM, Martell Spy said:

Same here. Just saw the trailer. It's a bit ridiculous, but I can totally get behind a regular chef kicking ass.

It's ridiculous fun. The action outweighs the slightly hammy moments and the end of episode 4 suggested the story might not be as straightforward as initially appears.

Watched brightburn this evening. A good horror version of the superman origin with some effective gore. Works well for those who enjoyed "the boys" in the sense super powered people can do almost anything.

There are many better musicals than La La Land, I thought it was too overrated and the music was actually very mediocre for my tastes.

Just finished episode 4 of the Boys. It's very good so far and I do recommend if you're into Watchmen style shows. Much darker and more graphic than what I thought it was going to be.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m watching Dark. Very conflicted about it so far. 

Conflicted because you cant decide if you love it or really love it?

Actually having tried to get people to watch Dark a couple of times I realised that the first couple of episodes are kinda slow and it takes a while to really warm up. I remember personally having to force myself to watch it. By about the 3rd or 4th ep though I was completely hooked.

Edited by Heartofice

Just came back from Hobbs & Shaw... The phrase 'gloriously dumb' was invented for this film. I enjoyed it, but my God is it stupid. It might be the dumbest film that I have ever seen (and that includes The Room, Samurai Cop & Troll 2), bit of dick move of them to spoil GoT in the end credit sequence (luckily I was warned, so I left the theatre in time). I do wonder how they'll take the series onwards from this... I read somewhere (it might be here, might be elsewhere) a comment along the line of 'they have to go to space if they keep on upping the ante like this.' Whatever happened to Point Break with cars?

Recently also saw two other films. One was Support your local gunslinger, which is almost as dumb as Hobbs & Shaw but not as fun. Can't believe I finished it to be very honest, would not recommend it.

Luckily, the other film more than made up for it. I finally saw Billy Wilder's The Apartment. It's rightly known as a classic and I would recommend it to everyone. Great acting performances all around, crackling dialogue and a genuinely exciting plot. Good to know that I can still bump into genuinely great movies from time to time. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Actually having tried to get people to watch Dark a couple of times I realised that the first couple of episodes are kinda slow and it takes a while to really warm up. I remember personally having to force myself to watch it. By about the 3rd or 4th ep though I was completely hooked.

I couldn’t get by the first 2 episodes. I will try again though as my sister really loves it.

I finally started watching Snowfall. The pilot was great and it’s been pretty good after that so I will continue. A little sloppy at times with some odd decisions:

Spoiler

I thought I skipped an episode when Andrea from Breaking Bad was talking about killing the security guy and how it almost went wrong. Also then an episode starts with the plane randomly crashed in the desert. They both obviously happened offscreen, but I was initially kinda confused. 

I watched season one of Fleabag awhile back, and that did not connect with me at all.  Didn't remotely live up to the hype it had in these threads, but this weekend I watched Derry Girls and that well exceeded the hype it has had here.  So many wonderful characters - Orla's my favorite of the main "girls" - and the secondary characters shine so brightly.  Barristan Selmy as Granda Joe, Sister Michael and her muttered comments, and the all too sparse Father Peter made me smile every time they appeared.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I watched season one of Fleabag awhile back, and that did not connect with me at all.  Didn't remotely live up to the hype it had in these threads, but this weekend I watched Derry Girls and that well exceeded the hype it has had here.  So many wonderful characters - Orla's my favorite of the main "girls" - and the secondary characters shine so brightly.  Barristan Selmy as Granda Joe, Sister Michael and her muttered comments, and the all too sparse Father Peter made me smile every time they appeared.

Have to second that on Fleabag. Wanted to watch it after loving Killing eve and it getting over the top reviews. 

But it didn’t feel fresh or interesting to me at all in the way it was described by people. In fact all it made me want to do was switch it off and watch Peep Show , which it reminded me so much of.  Unlike Jez and Mark from Peep show, who are highly flawed characters, Fleabags character isn’t likeable or funny enough to keep me interested. 

Im sure for some people it hit the right notes but for me it just feel like a poor mans Peep Show so I’ve tuned out. Shame because I thought her writing on Killing Eve was great.

Edited by Heartofice

Watched the first two episodes of Fosse/Verdon last night after a l-o-n-g wait and it was as brilliant as I expected it to be with Sam Rockwell and Michelle Williams as the leads. My husband had sworn never to watch another thing with Michelle Williams in it so I had to let him come to this in his own time/way. But we are both enjoying it immensely. I am savagely hating the later Fosse comb-over and hoping that it appears in zero sex scenes as it will tip the creep level too far for decency. The actress playing Liza Minnelli (playing Sally Bowles) in the Cabaret sections looks far more muscular in the upper body than the real Liza did. I guess dancers look different these days. (Just watched the original Mein Herr for comparison *dreamy sigh*).

10 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I can’t decide if it’s mysterious and enjoyable or aimless and irritating. I mean I would like to see some things starting to come together to believe that the show knows what it’s doing instead of just capitalizing on the atmosphere building and hoping it’ll take the audience’s mind off the plot. On the other hand, the human drama side of the story is quite well done, the acting is strong and the characterization is interesting yet still within the fence of realistic and relatable. 

Spoiler

On a third hand, it low key irritates me that screenwriters think that the main hangout place for teenagers and children(!) in the 21st century is a sketchy dark forest. Or that these forests don’t get a police perimeter and guarding officers the moment there are dead bodies and disappearances. I grew up in the country and there was a forest around us, but no kid or teen, absolutely nobody went there to hang out. 

I watched episodes 5-6 last night. Still waiting for the hook. Also there were a few bits that made 

3 hours ago, Isis said:

My husband had sworn never to watch another thing with Michelle Williams

But..but she's so good in all the stuff I've seen her in!

56 minutes ago, Raja said:

But..but she's so good in all the stuff I've seen her in!

Don't watch "venom" if you want to maintain that winning streak. A classic case of someone phoning it in for a paycheck. Don't really begrudge her as the script for the character left little room for inspiration and she probably made enough money off it to do ten of her better indie roles.

As much as I like Riz Ahmed & Williams, I'm probably never going to watch Venom

( Also, please someone cast Riz in half decent movies)