Ramsay B.

Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

Hmm, I just watched a horror movie called Lake Nowhere. It really frustrated me. It's filmed like it was made in the 80s, and it truly evokes the Evil Dead unlike anything I've seen since...well, Evil Dead, but this movie is a mess. It's only 50 minutes (actually 40 after the fake movie trailers in front of it...but those trailers are a mess and just start making you think you're watching the movie three times before it truly starts), so if you like retro horror with great visuals, I guess watch this. Or don't.

12 hours ago, Veltigar said:
On 8/12/2019 at 1:13 PM, Raja said:

I really need to get onto Derry Girls. I've only heard good things.

You should :D

Yes, you really should.  Like I said, nothing about Flee Bag compelled me to watch season 2, but I'm already contemplating watching Derry Girls from the beginning again.

12 hours ago, Veltigar said:

:grouphug: Welcome to our little cult of Derry lovers! We grow stronger every day :commie:

Unfortunately not, I think a lot of people still aren't willing to give it a chance. I can't blame them, because the synopsis at first glance isn't something that would appeal to me either, but damn it, it's gold!

:cheers:

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

Derry Girls are girls, very young girls, who we can see on netflix.

Most of whom are played by surprisingly aged actors.  And I thought Hollywood was bad about having older people playing teens - Clare is 32!

On 8/13/2019 at 7:40 AM, Isis said:

Anyone who watched the first season of Knightfall should really treat themselves to the second season as well. I really wasn't going to because the S1 finale was so bad... HOWEVER Mark Hamill is bloody brilliant. Please treat yourself. :)

Really?  I was thinking of skipping this because the ending was so bad and the rest was only slightly better than average.  It was ok, so is the 2nd season markedly better storywise?

I started watching Succession, which I am liking, although it's a pretty tense watch--with all the main characters being emotionally abused/abusive, every time Kendall opens his mouth I feel that I need a sedative to watch him.  Also, the characters are unlikable about 90% of the time, I'm not sure why I am watching it, but there it is.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I started watching Succession, which I am liking, although it's a pretty tense watch--with all the main characters being emotionally abused/abusive, every time Kendall opens his mouth I feel that I need a sedative to watch him.  Also, the characters are unlikable about 90% of the time, I'm not sure why I am watching it, but there it is.

Not only are the characters the most unattractive in terms of the personalities and who they are.  As well as being 100% unsympathetic on the inside -- on the outside they are about the most unattractive people ever seen on a television set centering the luxe life of the obscenely wealthy.  They can't even dress right.  My god the characters have terrible clothes sense.  It's all so appropriate for who these disgusting people are that being portrayed on screen.  There are NO redeeming traits or actions on the part of a single one of them.  This is reflected also in the very choppy unpleasant camera work too.  It's gotta take some guts, maybe? to make a series this unpleasant.  Or, maybe not, as the critics seem to love it.  I actually don't love it.  I may well not watch it anymore.  There's nothing to be got out of it, yanno?  Not even entertainment as they are so unattached to the world that the rest of live in, 24/7. Lust for power and envy of others are the only motivations -- plus, of course, the cruelties they can so casually dish out to the rest of us. 

Season 2, Sacred Games, is up on netflix right now.  I think it was released at noon today.

On 8/12/2019 at 2:46 PM, Heartofice said:

He was in Rogue One and Nightcrawer. I think he’s been doing ok since Four Lions

oh plus he was in The OA.

I haven't watched four lions but the other three are excellent 8-9/10 tv/films.

23 minutes ago, Safiya said:

I haven't watched four lions but the other three are excellent 8-9/10 tv/films.

It’s excellent. Highly recommended 

16 hours ago, aceluby said:

Really?  I was thinking of skipping this because the ending was so bad and the rest was only slightly better than average.  It was ok, so is the 2nd season markedly better storywise?

At least treat yourself to the first episode because Mark Hamill.

I don't know really. I'm three eps in and it's silly. I think it's always going to be silly. I thought with that the third ep it might have had an increse in quality but I think it's just gone for beat-you-over-the-head gravitas instead.

Watched the Will Smith Concussion movie.

Good supporting actors with Robert Morse, Albert Brooks, and a few other familiar actors.

The parts were all played great, But this is some real depressing subject matter.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:17 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Yes, you really should.  Like I said, nothing about Flee Bag compelled me to watch season 2, but I'm already contemplating watching Derry Girls from the beginning again.

I feel that sentiment. I actually really liked the 1st season of Fleabag and watched season 2 and liked it nearly as well. But, something about Derry Girls made me want to re-watch. Which I did before watching the next season. Some shows are extremely well done and can be appreciated as such, but some have that weird magic that makes you want to watch them again and again.

Side note; if you like Derry Girls there's an amazing show from a few years back streaming on Hulu called Moone Boy that I highly recommend. Written by Chris O'Dowd about his childhood in a small town in 1989 Ireland, it had 3 short seasons of glory (like so many great shows from the UK and Ireland) and in my opinion has some of the best kid acting anywhere. ;) 

On 8/14/2019 at 11:44 AM, Cas Stark said:

Oh man you're right. Something about their collective horridness is enticing to watch but the writing blends the humor and tragedy of their lives in such a way that you can root for them while hating them without even thinking about it. 

I'm about to re-watch the 1st season before diving into the 2nd...

On 8/14/2019 at 1:43 PM, Zorral said:

on the outside they are about the most unattractive people ever seen on a television set centering the luxe life of the obscenely wealthy.  They can't even dress right.  My god the characters have terrible clothes sense. 

Politics aside; have you seen how Donald Trump dresses?

On 8/14/2019 at 1:43 PM, Zorral said:

There are NO redeeming traits or actions on the part of a single one of them.  This is reflected also in the very choppy unpleasant camera work too.  It's gotta take some guts, maybe? to make a series this unpleasant.

I think you're wrong about the characters having no redeeming traits. I don't wanted to list examples out as we can just assume they do. I mean, even the characters on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia have some redeemable qualities and they're the actual worst humans ever shown on television. But anyway, your second point is right. In that the camera work reflects the nature of the story and tries to help convey the emotional connection with the characters that the director etc., want you to feel. In this case I guess it is dislike and unease with them. That being said, I didn't find the use of that detrimental to the show. But that's subjective of course. ;) 

I just watched the first 2 episodes of Years and Years on Amazon/HBO/BBC and it is amazingly good! My wife wanted to watch it, and I read the description/synapses thing they put on streaming services first but didn't find it interesting or informational. Luckily for me I was feeling saucy and said "Fuck it. Let's watch whatever you want to watch." (Just kidding. She always has great recos and I would never pretend otherwise on the internet)

Super relevant in its subject matter while still feeling original. It is pretty intense but with an underlying thread of wonderful dark humor. Again, only 2 episodes into it but 10 out of 10 thumbs so far.

9 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

I just watched the first 2 episodes of Years and Years on Amazon/HBO/BBC and it is amazingly good! My wife wanted to watch it, and I read the description/synapses thing they put on streaming services first but didn't find it interesting or informational. Luckily for me I was feeling saucy and said "Fuck it. Let's watch whatever you want to watch." (Just kidding. She always has great recos and I would never pretend otherwise on the internet)

Super relevant in its subject matter while still feeling original. It is pretty intense but with an underlying thread of wonderful dark humor. Again, only 2 episodes into it but 10 out of 10 thumbs so far.

This is a brilliant series, in every way!

14 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Watched a bit of Netflix's Mindhunter season 2. Looks like another fantastic season. Still one of the best shows on TV.

Just finished the Manson episode. Good stuff. Damon Herriman was an absolutely perfect casting. Kind of wish Once Upon a Time in Hollywood would have given him more to do. 

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Just finished the Manson episode. Good stuff. Damon Herriman was an absolutely perfect casting. Kind of wish Once Upon a Time in Hollywood would have given him more to do. 

So excited that this show is finally back.  Just 2 episodes in so far and feel like it's starting a tad slowly but confident it'll pick up.

I thought the first episode of The Terror was intriguing and that the lead actor who is new to me was really strong.  Looking forward to more of that one too.  

23 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

Side note; if you like Derry Girls there's an amazing show from a few years back streaming on Hulu called Moone Boy that I highly recommend. Written by Chris O'Dowd about his childhood in a small town in 1989 Ireland, it had 3 short seasons of glory (like so many great shows from the UK and Ireland) and in my opinion has some of the best kid acting anywhere. ;) 

Moone Boy was great.  It definitely didn't have the same magic that Derry Girls does though. 

I watched Alita: Battle Angel last night, was not impressed.  The kid playing Hugo was terrible.