Ramsay B.

Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

Saw Cool Hand Luke on the plane the other day. Good film, but a little dated I'd say. I appreciated it much more after reading Ebert's great review of the film, which made me understand the context more, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as classics like The Wild Bunch, Once Upon a Time in the West, Planet of the Apes and others from around the same time I can remember. Paul Newman is great though and it's very evocative of its setting. 

46 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Saw Cool Hand Luke on the plane the other day. Good film, but a little dated I'd say. I appreciated it much more after reading Ebert's great review of the film, which made me understand the context more, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as classics like The Wild Bunch, Once Upon a Time in the West, Planet of the Apes and others from around the same time I can remember. Paul Newman is great though and it's very evocative of its setting. 

Cool Hand Luke is definitely on my list of films to see. I wasn't that familiar with Paul Newman, other than being aware of who he was, as he was a bit before my time. Also, want to see the Sting. I try to make it a point to catch up on a classic film every New Year's and last year I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Great film and Newman completely stole the show. I get why the man has his own salad dressing now. 

Cool Hand Luke is still pretty great but it has dated in that different aspects of it have been done better by several classics since (Oh Brother Where Art Thou, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Shawshank Redemption being the three that spring to mind, Oh Brother in particular being obviously deliberately inspired in its style and a certain character by Cool Hand Luke).

Just re-watch the Mike Birbiglia standup special Thank God for Jokes on Netflix. Man, that is a great hour of storytelling based comedy.

7 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Cool Hand Luke is definitely on my list of films to see. I wasn't that familiar with Paul Newman, other than being aware of who he was, as he was a bit before my time. Also, want to see the Sting. I try to make it a point to catch up on a classic film every New Year's and last year I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Great film and Newman completely stole the show. I get why the man has his own salad dressing now. 

An old Newman movie with H.Fonda, set in the Northwest logging area, that's kind of interesting as an era snapshot-