Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

Ramsay B.

These things are tricky. Take Jim Brown for example (I was about to say he counts as an actor because of Mars Attacks, but holy hell he’s been in a lot of movies). He is arguably the greatest football player ever and a civil rights icon. He also beat up most of the women he dated in his life. The hell do you do with that mess?    

26 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I can’t imagine never watching Chinatown, or Rosemary’s Baby, etc again...

Same with Kevin Spacey. I just love too many of his movies. 

I do too. I like a lot of Spacey  movies but after reading through all the interviews/ accusations of the victims, I just can't watch his stuff. Same with Bryan Singer.

And sure, it's tricky, but I don't think any nuance should be extended to Spacey, personally.

This is an interesting subject, and I gotta admit that I'll separate the art from the artist. I'll never go see a Spacey vehicle in theaters or directly support him. But I'm not gonna never enjoy good movies because he's a fucking creeper. I can enjoy a good film and performance without admiring him any more.

7 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Speaking of creepy Spacey, I saw Moon. Real good, I liked it. 

Yes, that's a good little flick.

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Is it safe to say Rockwell is an underrated actor? Even with the Oscar now. He is so good in everything he’s in. 

Yep, that's definitely the case. He's still not a household name for most people I think.

6 hours ago, Raja said:

Ye. As much as I want to watch The Usual Suspects, I can't bring myself to do with with Bryan Singer & Spacey

Singer as well? Damn it.

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I got Chinatown lined up. Also one of those classics I have never watched.

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

This is an interesting subject, and I gotta admit that I'll separate the art from the artist. I'll never go see a Spacey vehicle in theaters or directly support him. But I'm not gonna never enjoy good movies because he's a fucking creeper. I can enjoy a good film and performance without admiring him any more.

The same goes for me. There are so many deeply messed up artists (I mean remember all the stories about e.g. Klaus Kinski and others) who somehow managed to make such great works that they just have to be part of the canon. I think it's okay to keep on studying there work as long as efforts are done to deny them gains from it. Particularly when it comes down to artists like Spacey and others who walked away from accusations without doing time. 

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Is it safe to say Rockwell is an underrated actor? Even with the Oscar now. He is so good in everything he’s in. 

I think most of the movie watching public has finally caught up on Rockwell.  How fucking good was he in Galaxy Quest?

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Personally, I can't imagine a world without LA Confidential.

Just finished Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Really sorry that it won't be getting another season. It wasn't the deepest TV show ever, but it reliably brightened up my evenings. Also appreciated that it had some great roles for women - notably Bart, but also Farah and Amanda. 

14 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I think most of the movie watching public has finally caught up on Rockwell.  How fucking good was he in Galaxy Quest?

Personally, I can't imagine a world without LA Confidential.

Read the book instead ;) 

But the film is my one Spacey exception. Even before the allegations, I wasn't a fan.

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

Just finished Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Really sorry that it won't be getting another season. It wasn't the deepest TV show ever, but it reliably brightened up my evenings. Also appreciated that it had some great roles for women - notably Bart, but also Farah and Amanda.

I did enjoy it a lot. While the plot was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike the books I think it did capture something of Douglas Adams' anarchic humour.

4 hours ago, dog-days said:

Love this show.  So weird and cool.

To go along with the other current theme of the thread - Max Landis has also been accused of sexual assault by multiple women.:worried:

The  Lion King's studio had the great good luck to choose for initial release the weekend of the worst heatwave ever to hit the US -- 80% of the US will be in the high 90's - early 100's all weekend, with temps at night not getting below the 80's generally.  Every family with the money to do so will be taking their kid(s) to see it this weekend, you betcha!  This should be factored in when the studio raves about its incredible opening BO. Though it was going to do blockbuster no matter what, yes?

4 hours ago, john said:

Love this show.  So weird and cool.

To go along with the other current theme of the thread - Max Landis has also been accused of sexual assault by multiple women.:worried:

Damn, that's shocking. ☹️ I'm glad I saw the two seasons of DGHDA before knowing that. Now I'm thinking back over them and wondering if what Landis appears to have been doing to his girlfriends is somewhere there between the lines. 

1 minute ago, dog-days said:

Damn, that's shocking. ☹️ I'm glad I saw the two seasons of DGHDA before knowing that. Now I'm thinking back over them and wondering if what Landis appears to have been doing to his girlfriends is somewhere there between the lines. 

Yeah, the Landis stuff was apparently rumored for years before the daily beast came out with 8 women accusing him of sexual & emotional abuse

Back to the thread - I've started a S2 rewatch of GOT because my room-mate is catching up on the series. I was kinda meh on this season but watching it back has made me appreciate some of the stuff I wasn't a big fan of last time.

10 hours ago, dog-days said:

Loved the quirkiness of this show. Sam Barnett and Elijah Wood were great as leads

2 hours ago, dog-days said:

It sucks when you find out this stuff after liking someone’s work for a while.  Apparently Josh Trank (director of Chronicle) tweeted after this news came out that he had to ban Landis from the set of Chronicle because of the way he behaved.  And that was like the start of Landis’ career, he had cachet in Hollywood for years after that.

I watched the first episode of the third season of Legion. They certainly haven't made any attempt to reduce the sheer amount of weirdness in the show, although I suppose it was unlikely that was going to change for the final season.

Rewatching Jessica Jones' Season 1, only 'cause I can.

One thing of note is that somewhere in one of the middle episodes, when Simpson, the most annoying character ever :P, proposed killing Kilgrave, Trish was against it and said that wasn't  justice or something like that.

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

I watched the first episode of the third season of Legion.

Was season 2 good? I watched season 1, which I enjoyed, but all the negative press on S2 put me off the show

8 hours ago, Raja said:

Was season 2 good? I watched season 1, which I enjoyed, but all the negative press on S2 put me off the show

I would say it is a bit mixed. It does have some strong points, I thought Navid Negahban was a great addition to the cast and his Amahl Farouk was a compelling villain. It always looks spectacular and there are some excellent subplots and scenes - the confrontation between David and the Shadow King in the finale was much more visually interesting than most superhero fights. On the downside, I think the overall plot could sometimes be quite difficult to follow, I think having seen the whole season it perhaps makes a bit more sense in retrosepct, but the narrative often got a bit lost in gratuitous weirdness.

Archived