Watch, Watched, Watching: Midsommar Night Blues

Ramsay B.

I hate going to movies with other people.  If I hate it and they like it, walking out is rude.  If they hate it and I like it, they feel resentful.  There may be an exception once in a while, but they are few and far between.  I do very much enjoy discussing something we've all watched, but not necessarily together.

Also, there are very few movies per se I have any interest in, nor can I stand most of the audience in a theater auditorium these days, talking, chewing, texting -- and then the little kids who shouldn't be at these movies anyway!  Television is more what interests me.

Streaming has been my good friend.

48 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I can’t recall if I’ve asked this before, but what are your guys opinion on going to the movies alone? I’ve never done it before, but I really want to see Midsommar and none of my friends want to or already have.  

It feels fucking weird, but once the movie starts who gives a fuck, y'know? I got really comfortable with it when I lived in a shitbox in Texas with no A/C.

Hot, Hot, Hot -- Sick, Sick, Sick.  Time for the annual summer re-watch of Seven-Year Itch.  Thank goodness for streaming.

P.S. Further thoughts on doing things alone:  Though I prefer to go to restaurants with friends, I also really enjoy going by myself.  I prefer going to museum and art galleries alone, and parks.  I like traveling solo too, though if one has the right companion that's the best, of course.

IOW, I'm not 100% anti-social.  :cheers:

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I can’t recall if I’ve asked this before, but what are your guys opinion on going to the movies alone? I’ve never done it before, but I really want to see Midsommar and none of my friends want to or already have.  

90% of my cinema trips are alone. It's much better. You get all the popcorn for one thing. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't think I've gone to the cinema with someone since like, 2013 or something. Hell, when I watched Blade Runner 2049 I was the only one in the cinema.

Decided to go for some lighter and watched Captain Marvel. Pleasantly surprised by this I must say, I'm usually not all that enthusiastic about the MCU. Most of the films are fine, but nothing more. This one has a bit of a spark, although I cannot really put my finger on it. Perhaps it was the inclusion of Jude Law, whom I have always liked and have loved ever since The Young Pope.

Strangely enough, his character is also a major part in my biggest gripe with the movie though. I really liked it, but I think it could have been great if they had used his character better:

Spoiler

When the reveal came that it was his blood that was donated to Captain Marvel, I was expecting them to do more with it. The faux-empowerment moment of not-playing-by-your-rules-anymore when Larson blasted him was okay, but I feel that it would have been better if they had hinted at something more romantic. If I had written the script, I would have played more into the jilted-lover vibe you get from the character, ending it with the 'You know I'm proud of you moment' and then him just submitting to her power. I think it would have been less standard dastardly and it would have driven the empowerment moment they were so clearly angling for home. 

EDIT: I feel like giving Black Panther a chance now that this one turned out okay. 

31 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

EDIT: I feel like giving Black Panther a chance now that this one turned out okay. 

Man, Black Panther and Thor: Ragnarok are both >> Captain Marvel.

I liked Shazam more than Captain Marvel tbh which would be irrelevant except for the name fight and coming out at the same time so I was inevitabely comparing them. I'm surprised you did think it had more spark than the average Marvel though, since I thought it was a pretty heavy step back towards phase 1 after th two I've mentioned, which is by no means bad but we've moved on, and with a heavy dollop of terrible action direction too.

Anyway, I watched Sweet Country, an Aussie Western directed by Warwick Thornton, today. Good movie, if you like the quiet slow-burner tension builders.  

Just now, polishgenius said:

I liked Shazam more than Captain Marvel tbh which would be irrelevant except for the name fight and coming out at the same time so I was inevitabely comparing them. I'm surprised you did think it had more spark than the average Marvel though, since I thought it was a pretty heavy step back towards phase 1 after th two I've mentioned, which is by no means bad but we've moved on, and with a heavy dollop of terrible action direction too.

Anyway, I watched Sweet Country, an Aussie Western directed by Warwick Thornton, today. Good movie, if you like the quiet slow-burner tension builders.  

I was confounded by how anyone could think Captain Marvel had a 'spark' myself. When No Doubt started playing I felt so patronized at that I actually got the urge to leave the theater. That movie was a perfectly mediocre slog that sold itself as empowering to women.

Wonder Woman was infinitely superior, and I thought the 3rd act of that movie was basically incoherent.

45 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Ye. I adore Black Panther, and not just because of the gorgeously curated soundtrack by Kendrick & Ludwig Goransson. I'm not a huge super hero guy, but Black Panther & Into the spiderverse have both shown how good superhero movies can be. 

So Aziz Ansari's comedy special is out on netflix - I really don't know if I want to give it a go after all the sexual assault allegation that came out about him - but apparently that's what the special is about? Still uncertain if I wanna watch this. I've never been *too* into his comedy specials - but I might give this a try.

I'm kind of surprised it's so one sided. To be clear, I don't mind actually going alone, I just want someone to talk to afterwards to get their thoughts. Took a few film classes in HS and college so I like discussing some of the technical stuff, as well as the overall movie itself.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

I don't think I've gone to the cinema with someone since like, 2013 or something. Hell, when I watched Blade Runner 2049 I was the only one in the cinema.

Twice in my life have I been "alone" in a theater (obviously with who I went with). The first time was with a close friend. The movie was Strange Wilderness, and after about 15 minutes when realized nobody else was coming, we sparked it up :pimp:. The second time was with my college sweetheart. I have no idea what movie was, because we spent the whole time fooling around. Still not the strangest place I've had sex though. That would have to be a church. This Jew has befouled you heathen Christians! :devil:

9 hours ago, Raja said:

I'm not a huge super hero guy, but Black Panther & Into the spiderverse have both shown how good superhero movies can be.  

Into the Spider-Verse is so good. Top 3 superhero film for me (along with Incredibles and Kick-Ass).

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Into the Spider-Verse is so good. Top 3 superhero film for me (along with Incredibles and Kick-Ass).

Kick-Ass is wildly underrated.

Goddamn, but I thought Matthew Vaughn was gonna be the next big thing. I still mourn that Star Wars went to J.J. though.

3 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

but I thought Matthew Vaughn was gonna be the next big thing.

Me too, but I think he's still got it in him. Just patiently waiting for him to get over his Kingsman obssession (and hell, the first one was awesome).

I adore Kick-Ass. Has the one problematic plot strand that people understandably hate but as an exercise in action/comedy filmmaking it's almost flawless.

28 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah - Kick Ass is great! That came out at a time before I had super hero fatigue, so to speak. I still haven't seen Kick Ass 2, though I heard it isn't great. 

I feel you re: Kingsman, I enjoyed the first one but man, I could barely make it through the second one. He's been attached to so many things that haven't seen the light of day, which is a pity.

As an aside, that's why I'm so excited about HBO's Watchmen. I feel like that's a team & a cast that could make a *really* good super hero tv show. I know Marvel is good, but those movies seldom do anything for me ( Civil war is a lot of fun though)

58 minutes ago, Raja said:

As an aside, that's why I'm so excited about HBO's Watchmen. I feel like that's a team & a cast that could make a *really* good super hero tv show. I know Marvel is good, but those movies seldom do anything for me ( Civil war is a lot of fun though) 

Watchmen looks good though I still haven't seen Leftovers and am still cynical about Lindeloff, I'll definitely give it a try though. The Boys too, a lot less serious and more puerile but it's showrun by Erik Kripke who did a magnificent job elevating the first five seasons of Supernatural over what they could have been, so I'm interested in that.

Have you seen Logan? Unquestionably the best Marvel-based movie for me, though obs not in the Marvel-verse.

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

As a 3rd shifter I do it often. Going around 2pm on a Wednesday or Thursday and I have the place to myself sometimes. 

38 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Watchmen looks good though I still haven't seen Leftovers and am still cynical about Lindeloff, I'll definitely give it a try though.

Lindeloff is a fucking con artist. Anyone who watches something with his name on it is being had.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Watchmen looks good though I still haven't seen Leftovers and am still cynical about Lindeloff, I'll definitely give it a try though.

You should! The Leftovers is the best TV out there in a very long time. It might even be my favourite show to date. I don't know how much, if any, you've seen, but it's certainly something you should seek out, especially as it's only 3 seasons.

That's why I'm excited about Watchmen - Lost & Lindeloff has its critics, but I feel like giving us a show like The Leftovers has more than made up for his missteps during Lost & that awful star trek movie.

Edit - Yeah, I've seen Logan. Really enjoyed that, I've always had a soft spot for those original X men movies, and Logan felt like a nice conclusion to them ( Though I wish we hadn't seen a wolverine v wolverine fight, I was kinda hoping they wouldn't go that way)

Archived