Characteristics of a good ruler

Aldarion

20 minutes ago, Ruki88 said:

Doesn't it feels like the biggest "Fuck you" from the author, though....

Well, our expectations are certainly subverted: a 7yrs kid who barely learnt to read most likely, but fuck it, it's MAGIC!

That is the problem with bran ending as king... He simply doesn t have the learning to rule arc other characters have and that grrm has based dance and feast on... 

If we end up with a Deus ex machina to make bran king what is the worth of feast and dance where we are supposed to see how Jon, Danny, Cersei and Euron rule? 

16 hours ago, divica said:

If we end up with a Deus ex machina to make bran king what is the worth of feast and dance where we are supposed to see how Jon, Danny, Cersei and Euron rule? 

Probably filler for the 5 year gap, he only came up with the "Aragorn's tax policy" thing during ADWD. He probably never intended to go into that much detail. And apparently that detail is to show all those folks as shitty rulers who cant make the cut. Not that I think Bran makes much sense either.

38 minutes ago, TheThreeEyedCow said:

I think the best prerequisite for any ruler is not wanting the job to begin with.

This is not true.  The ones who want to rule and get to earn experience do the best.  People who do a job they don't want suck at it.

Sharapova wanted to become a pro tennis player and worked at it.  She won championships.  Force someone to take the job and they will suck at it.

14 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

This is not true.  The ones who want to rule and get to earn experience do the best.  People who do a job they don't want suck at it.

Sharapova wanted to become a pro tennis player and worked at it.  She won championships.  Force someone to take the job and they will suck at it.

Agree to disagree. I'm not sure becoming a tennis pro is at all similar to being a ruler. 

People who lust after power are so often corrupted by their desire to rule. Unwin Peake from Fire and Blood is a good example of this. I'm not sure I can write about him on this section of the forums. But suffice to say, this is a person who's priorities are first and foremost to maintain their grip of power instead of doing good work for the realm. They spend time and resources shoring up their own position, choosing sycophants and lickspittles over the more competent and well-reasoned types. 

A tennis player can afford to be completely self-indulgent. 

Archived