US Politics: Wondering the Acosta

DMC

22 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Watch the ACA get overturned and that be what sinks this administration.  

Counterpoint. Trump's MO is (i) find something, (ii) break it and (iii) put it back together in a crappier way and claim how great it is and it's all because of how bigly he is. Watch Senate Democrats agree to some crap bill and force the House to either except it or all the blame, allowing Trump to win.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Counterpoint. Trump's MO is (i) find something, (ii) break it and (iii) put it back together in a crappier way and claim how great it is and it's all because of how bigly he is. Watch Senate Democrats agree to some crap bill and force the House to either except it or all the blame, allowing Trump to win.

Maybe...

Although, it is worth pointing out that Republicans lost big in the 2016 midterms in no small part because of their ugly stance on healthcare, especially, their horrendous alternative to the ACA. (I posted accounts of some congressmen being physically attacked on this issue back then). They sign onto anything even remotely similar and they could lose big in 2020 - and that is with gerrymandering and voter suppression going full tilt in their favor.  

“Trump is quite easy to buy off”: how Trump is putting American foreign policy up for sale
Want to understand Trump’s foreign policy? Just follow the money.

https://www.vox.com/2019/7/10/20688825/trump-china-trade-saudi-arabia-qatar-sale

Let’s start with China. Last month, Chinese President Xi Jinping asked Trump to back off criticizing Beijing for its crackdown on pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong, according to a person familiar with the discussions. Trump accepted — because Xi made it a condition to restart sputtering trade talks between their two countries.

The Financial Times, which first reported that exchange on Wednesday, also noted that the Trump administration pressured the outgoing US consul general to Hong Kong, Kurt Tong, not to mention China’s policy toward the city in his farewell speech.

Xi continues to use the trade talks as a lure to get what he wants from the American president. First, he asked that the US stay quiet on China putting more than a million Uighur Muslims in reeducation camps. Second, he pushed for Trump to reverse the ban on US businesses working with Chinese telecommunications giants Huawei and ZTE — even though Trump’s own administration says doing that is a national security risk.

Asking Trump to tone it down on the Hong Kong criticism is now the third time Xi has run the same play on Trump. And each time, it seems, the president has fallen for it.

Saudi Arabia has gotten in on the game too.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Watch the ACA get overturned and that be what sinks this administration.  

I'll make that deal. Can we do it now? Do you want more? I'll throw in Roe v Wade for free if you accept in the next five seconds.

21 hours ago, Triskele said:

I thought it might be fun as well as interesting to do a straw poll of sorts where people state, at this early moment in the process, which candidate they're for if they had to choose right now.  I mostly expect responses on the Dem nominee since that's the party that is having a primary process plus knowing what I know about this board.  I don't mean to discourage anyone who is for Trump or Schultz or Bill Weld to also weigh in if they feel like it.  

I supposed I'm Warren at the moment though I would describe my position as, if I'm using the term correctly, elastic.  I feel like I could easily be convinced to change by new info, a different feeling about who is likely to beat Trump, etc...

So maybe that could be an interesting thing also to share:  not just who you're for at the moment but how elastic or inelastic your position is, how persuadable you are, you know.  

Right now, based mainly on performance in the first debate, I'd vote for Harris, but I'd be OK voting for any of the top 6 or so contenders for the Democratic nomination.  Harris' perceived weaknesses, lack of detail on policy and some of her work as a prosecutor, won't be things that Trump can easily attack.  I don't think that most voters, Democrats and Republicans, care that much about detailed policy positions.  And I view her work as a prosecutor as an overall positive.  I think she'll be able to counter and/or dodge any criticisms she receives for her prosecution work.

I like Warren and I wish she ran against Clinton, but I think she missed her chance.  Trump will also have an easier time attacking Warren.  She is my next choice though.

Sanders and Biden are very different, but unfair or not, both are old white men, and it's time for a change.  That said, if either of them won the nomination, I wouldn't hesitate to vote for either.  

Since I mainly just want Trump out of office, my bar is set really, really low for this upcoming election.  As long as the Dem nominee has a pulse, he or she will be getting my vote.   

15 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Right now, based mainly on performance in the first debate, I'd vote for Harris, but I'd be OK voting for any of the top 6 or so contenders for the Democratic nomination.  Harris' perceived weaknesses, lack of detail on policy and some of her work as a prosecutor, won't be things that Trump can easily attack.  I don't think that most voters, Democrats and Republicans, care that much about detailed policy positions.  And I view her work as a prosecutor as an overall positive.  I think she'll be able to counter and/or dodge any criticisms she receives for her prosecution work.

I like Warren and I wish she ran against Clinton, but I think she missed her chance.  Trump will also have an easier time attacking Warren.  She is my next choice though.

Sanders and Biden are very different, but unfair or not, both are old white men, and it's time for a change.  That said, if either of them won the nomination, I wouldn't hesitate to vote for either.  

Since I mainly just want Trump out of office, my bar is set really, really low for this upcoming election.  As long as the Dem nominee has a pulse, he or she will be getting my vote.   

Welcome to the good team. I'd tell you we have jackets but the truth is that you'll get nothing but short-lived moral righteousness followed by incessant soul crushing defeats.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Oh I agree that's the goal.

It's just hard to take someone's smart phone smash it, scribble a stick man on the shattered screen with a sharpie, hand it back and tell them it's an upgrade.  

Mother Whose Toddler Died After Leaving ICE Custody Tells Harrowing Story To Congress
“I watched my baby girl die slowly and painfully just a few months before her second birthday,” Yazmin Juárez told a House subcommittee.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mother-toddler-died-after-ice-custody-tells-congress_n_5d265757e4b07e698c450953

Yazmin Juárez sat in front of a House subcommittee Wednesday and recalled the most horrible experience of her life. 

She spoke to the lawmakers about how her 21-month-old daughter, Mariee, died of respiratory illnesses after leaving Immigration and Customs Enforcement custody last year.

“We came to the United States, where I hoped to build a better life,” said the 21-year-old mother, who fled violence in Guatemala in early 2018. “Instead, I watched my baby girl die slowly and painfully just a few months before her second birthday.”

Throughout her translated testimony, she choked up with tears recounting how ICE and medical officials continually endangered her daughter’s life, in some cases denying the toddler the care she needed or lying about her condition. Multiple House members wiped tears from their eyes as Juárez told her story and said she was testifying in hopes of preventing other children from dying.

Democrats convened the House Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties to discuss the horrific conditions in migrant detention facilities. This issue has been in the national spotlight amid reports that U.S. Border Patrol stations are overcrowded, unsanitary and unsafe for children who are often forced to sleep on concrete floors. 

3 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Mother Whose Toddler Died After Leaving ICE Custody Tells Harrowing Story To Congress
“I watched my baby girl die slowly and painfully just a few months before her second birthday,” Yazmin Juárez told a House subcommittee.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mother-toddler-died-after-ice-custody-tells-congress_n_5d265757e4b07e698c450953

I bet Pelosi and Schumer both think someone should do something about it.

Just now, larrytheimp said:

I bet Pelosi and Schumer both think someone should do something about it.

Damn. I was working on a couple of statements over here but that's a 10/10 comment, nailed the landing.

Look at that joke, people! There is not an ounce of fat on that statement! You take one word outta there and it's just nonsense.

:bowdown:

3 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Damn. I was working on a couple of statements over here but that's a 10/10 comment, nailed the landing.

Look at that joke, people! There is not an ounce of fat on that statement! You take one word outta there and it's just nonsense.

:bowdown:

Actually probably would have worked better without the first two words 

If only there was some body of people that could prevent from getting on the Supreme Court justices that would overturn the ACA.

Republicans in the U.S. Senate don’t appear to be sweating the likelihood of such a scenario, however. Some are pinning their hopes on the courts to reject the challenge, which is backed by the Trump administration, on the grounds that it isn’t serious and is legally moot.

“I actually don’t think the courts are eventually ever going to strike it down,” Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.) said Wednesday. He called the case, which was argued before an appeals court in New Orleans on Tuesday, “pretty far-fetched.”

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), a supporter of the law who helped save it in 2017 when Republicans in Congress attempted to repeal it, agreed. 

“It’s my hope and belief that the Supreme Court won’t strike the law down,” Collins said.

Republicans Have No Plan If Obamacare Is Struck Down. Some Don’t Think It’s Even Possible.
“It’s my hope and belief that the Supreme Court won’t strike the law down,” Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) said.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/obamacare-lawsuit-supreme-court_n_5d265c0fe4b0583e482b850d

15 minutes ago, Triskele said:

In the always distressing question of who is the most loathsome Trump cabinet member has Acosta not perhaps been under the radar for too long?

Powell, one we can be grateful for being a non crazy or evil person, is likely to cut rates this month.  Caving to Trump's pressure, or are there really economic headwinds or both?

The criminally underrated Thomas Edsall at NYT has a great piece here (NYT, limited clicks per month) about where the Dems are as a party, but it is timely because it really gets into the immigration issue.  Graphs about changing attitudes in recent decades and other good stuff.

Barr is clearly the worst that isn't actually 'acting'. Mulvaney is up there too, but Barr has managed in about 3 months to entirely politicize the Department of Justice, something that hasn't happened to this degree since Nixon. It's quite impressive. I mean, we've still got DeVos and a number of other dumbasses, but Barr is really what Trump wanted - his own personal attack dog for the DoJ and to turn the entire justice department into a weapon against his enemies.

Just now, Triskele said:

Would easily put Barr #1 because he's the most powerful and most dangerous.  

Feels like nothing too horrific has happened on that front in a few weeks.  Just waiting.  

Well, they tried to break the entire Census system by replacing every single justice official originally on the case and ignoring the SCOTUS ruling. That might not seem like a big deal, but it basically baldfaced said 'we are going to do whatever Trump tells us to', throwing both all their actual legal statements in court with SCOTUS out the window and showcasing them to be lies while also shedding even the slightest hint of independence from the POTUS. 

They're also literally just going through the ACA repeal by both filing friendly helpful things for the red states opposing it and refusing to represent the ACA. But that's not on Barr, that's been going on for a while now. 

Oh right, they also broke their deal on Mueller deputies testifying, told Mnuchin to not give tax info despite that being a, ya know, law, and argued in court that it was perfectly fine to not provide kids with soap and toothbrushes. That's just the last month, mind you; I'm sure you can find a bit more if you look.  

Just now, Triskele said:

Would easily put Barr #1 because he's the most powerful and most dangerous.  

Feels like nothing too horrific has happened on that front in a few weeks.  Just waiting.  

All Quiet on the Justice Front. I'm waiting for the impending offensive. Hopefully it's another campaign against women's rights at the federal level. I need some bitches to start getting scurred, because if DMC's right then this census business isn't gonna get it done.

9 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Here's how the Trump era has warped by brain.  I was just numb to those sorts of things because they didn't jump out to me the way that his initial handling of the Mueller report did.  Not because those things aren't terrible.  

That's a feature not a bug.

Archived