NBA Off-Season 2019 - Bridge Over the River Kawhi

Relic

And Harden and the rest of the superstars say: "Meh, we don't want the Olympic gold that badly." What happens then?

You think Team USA would risk playing their third or fourth stringers in the Olympics? That team might still be good enough to win the medal, but it would be nowhere near as good marketing-wise. Why would sponsors pay the same amounts for that team as they do for one packed with biggest stars?

I'm a big opponent of making rules that can not be enforced. That just puts everyone in a bad position.

56 minutes ago, baxus said:

And Harden and the rest of the superstars say: "Meh, we don't want the Olympic gold that badly." What happens then?

Well for me it would be a simple 'fuck you then'.  I think enough people would want an Olympic gold to make it work.  You don't lets leave it there?

On 8/9/2019 at 5:58 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I heard a comment from an NBA analyst the other day and I want to know if it is true. Do European countries value winning the FIBA World Cup more than the Olympics?

Nah, they do not. Olympics is rated much higher in Europe as well.

For the FIBA world Cup, there is at least the chance of beating the US this time through, which might make it more interesting for European teams. Next year at the Olympics you just know that most if not all the NBA stars will be preesent. You can already see it queuing up, it looks like everyone wants to participate next year, even the Lebrons and Durants for what might be one final go.

On 8/10/2019 at 2:49 PM, Cron said:

Not sure why the Warriors would trade Russell, though.  Didn't they just acquire him?  I think he'll mesh fine with the rest of the Warriors, even when Klay returns, and yeah, I would agree that if the Warriors enter the playoffs fully healthy next year (including Klay) they could be a factor.

The idea is that he is a player at a position where there is no real need once Klay comes back. 

If Klay turns out to be fine playing at small forward they might well decide to keep Russell, and this is plausiable.

However if not, then the idea is that they trade Russell for players in positions where GS misses a great starter.

Which in their case would be at small forward or center. Though with the system they play I could see Cauley Stein or even Looney being adequate for their needs at center.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Rumors swirling that the Lakers fear Cousins tore his ACL.  

Just saw that.  I have to assume that’s gonna be the end of his career with all these repeated lower body injuries.

23 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Just saw that.  I have to assume that’s gonna be the end of his career with all these repeated lower body injuries.

Idk, he looked alright in the Finals despite playing with a torn quad. That injury he can recover from, and the same goes with the ACL. I think it all still goes back to the Achilles injury, and if he can ever recover from it.  Teams will be willing to low ball him, so if he’s done, it’s because it’s not worth it to him anymore, not because he can’t add value to a team.

This may get ugly...

Team USA still needs to winnow its pool of 15 finalists down to 12 before the FIBA World Cup begins on September 1. No one else is getting added to this team, but perhaps they should burn down the roster and start all over.

On Wednesday, that crew lost a 36-17 scrimmage to the “LA Select Team,” a potpourri of guys you may distantly remember. John Jenkins, for example, had stints with the Hawks, Mavericks, Suns, Wizards, and Knicks as recently as last season. He’s a solid shooter, but not one who should be carving up a team that will contend for the FIBA World Cup.

:stillsick: 

On 8/10/2019 at 6:17 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Isn't Popovich still the Team USA coach though?

I have a hard time seeing him not getting outstanding performance out of his team even if they aren't all the A-listers. I predict he brings back Gold.

I can still retract this optimism right?

20 hours ago, Calibandar said:

The idea is that he is a player at a position where there is no real need once Klay comes back. 

Well, I hear you, but my understanding is that the NBA is evolving into almost "positionless" basketball, where teams are increasingly just finding the five best players they can (almost irrespective of position), putting them out there and hoping it works.   Would the Warriors like to trade Russell for a superstar Small Forward, Power Forward or Center?  Probably, but I don't think that deal is even remotely likely to happen, and I really don't see a deal happening where the Warriors would get enough back for Russell at a different position to make trading him make sense.  But hey, maybe I'll be surprised, as I have been surprised at times before (I didn't think the Pelicans would trade Anthony Davis to the Lakers, but they did, in a deal that I believe was terrible for the Pelicans.  If I ran the Pelicans, I would have traded him to the Knicks for the #3 pick in the Draft, then taken RJ Barrett.)

If Klay turns out to be fine playing at small forward they might well decide to keep Russell, and this is plausiable.

Yeah, I think Klay can do that.  He's a great defender, and I think he's 6'6", isn't he?  He'd be a bit undersized at SF, but not much.

However if not, then the idea is that they trade Russell for players in positions where GS misses a great starter.

Well, like I basically said above, in theory that might be a good idea IF they could get a superstar in return at a different position, but I don't think they can get a player back at a different position who is better than Russell.  I guess we'll see what happens, though.

Which in their case would be at small forward or center. Though with the system they play I could see Cauley Stein or even Looney being adequate for their needs at center.

Seems like NBA rosters are pretty solidly set for 2019-2020.  Theoretical trades are often fun to talk about, but I don't see Russell being traded unless the experiment in Golden State is a complete disaster and so they throw in the towel to rebuild.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong.

You'd rather trade Davis straight up to the Knicks for RJ Barrett than the haul they got now, which was I believe Josh Hart, Ingram, Ball and a pick in this year's draft right? Because to me that seems like a better deal than getting just Barrett.

• 2 weeks later...

At work this morning and I have the USA v Greece pulled up.  My first FIBA game to watch.  Just a bit odd watching the coach talking to his team from the other side of a wall and other subtle oddities.

Longtime Cavs commentator Fred McLeod died yesterday, and I just wanted to post here about it because he was a great guy.  I got the chance to meet him several years ago during Kyrie Irving's rookie year in Cleveland.  During a game when the Cavs were visiting Charlotte on MLK day, back when I used twitter occasionally, I commented to Fred that I was at the game.  Oddly, he replied to me to come down to the court and say hi after the game was over.  I did, and got to meet him and former Cavs legend Austin Carr.  

They were both great guys.  I got to shoot the shit with them for a couple of minutes about the Cavs, LeBron leaving, Kyrie being drafted, the whole nine yards.  It was a really cool experience for someone who had spent the past decade-plus listening to these guys on TV.  Fred had no reason to invite me down there, but I've heard tons of similar stories of him interacting with Cavs fans.  He was one of the good ones.  

Cavs broadcasts are just not gonna be the same now.

ETA: Will always love the video of him breaking down after the Cavs won in 2016.

Archived