NBA Off-Season 2019 - Bridge Over the River Kawhi

Relic

13 minutes ago, briantw said:

Coaching makes a big difference.  The Cavs were horrendous last year.  This year, basically the same roster, team looks competitive and competent.  I know Love missing most of last year played a part in their struggles, but I read lots of insider stuff about how they didn't even really run an actual offense last year and this season it's night and day.  

Indeed. Just look at the Suns. Nobody expected them to be good, but Williams has them playing well.

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Because Luka is going to average a 30 point triple double at age 20. 

Ah, okay, the age wrinkle, on ‘back to individual stats’ in even years thing, I like it! Not really explaining why that’s more valuable than ~ 38/10/8/2, but it’s absolutely the kind of narrative that it’ll be. Nice one. 

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Any early favourites on the reason Harden won’t win the MVP this year?

Because his game sucks to watch?

In other news, Wiggins and Towns have another set of great nights, leading the Wolves to a blowout win over the Spurs. Wiggins went for 30/8/7 and Towns put in 28/11/4, all while playing fewer minutes than normal. And I’m happy to say that I think we got a steal with the 6th pick. Culver looks like he can be a stud once he gets a bit more seasoning. For those who don’t recognize the name, he’s the sophomore who led Texas Tech to the National Championship game.

43 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Kawhi's never won it, right?  If Kawhi wants it, he can go get it.  But I kinda suspect he doesn't really want it. 

He'll never play enough games. He's going to be on load management for his entire career. 

10 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Ah, okay, the age wrinkle, on ‘back to individual stats’ in even years thing, I like it! Not really explaining why that’s more valuable than ~ 38/10/8/2, but it’s absolutely the kind of narrative that it’ll be. Nice one. 

I presume you are referring to Harden and I get the 38 ppg and 8 apg... but what is the 10?  Anyways Giannis does less scoring but almost triple the boards, only 1 assist less,, and is so much better defensively it is not even funny.

On 11/14/2019 at 7:36 PM, Slurktan said:

I presume you are referring to Harden and I get the 38 ppg and 8 apg... but what is the 10?  Anyways Giannis does less scoring but almost triple the boards, only 1 assist less,, and is so much better defensively it is not even funny.

The 10 is apg, we’re only 2 years from his leading the league in assists In his first year at the point, and Westbrook plays less direct on ball than Paul did, and he averages over 10apg at the point before Paul. He’s only topped 8rpg once, so that’s probably less realistic, i was just going off the top of my head exploring how people do/don’t value raw stats. 

I’m surprised the thread is so dead, here on this festive day, November 19 in the year 2019 of our lord, the 15th anniversary of the greatest moment in American sports history.

Also, why is Portland trash? I did not see that coming.

I follow the NBA nearly as closely as baseball. Usually. I'm a Bulls fan, and this is the worst on-court product we've seen from them in more than a decade. We've actually gotten worse since last year, which I thought was impossible. Every single player has been a disappointment except Carter Jr and our 1-game-in late pick Gafford. We are getting loads of open 3s and clanking a shocking amount of them.

LaVine gets our buckets but makes everyone worse when he plays. Lauri looks like an angry 5 year old with no dessert. Rumors he's hurt don't match the eye test that his effort and attitude are shockingly bad for a kid we thought had a winning mentality. Porter Jr is now hurt 2 or more weeks longer in yet another atrocious job by our staff of handling and reporting injury. Sato has been bad. Kornet is unwatchably bad. Thank god we haven't seen much Felicio, perhaps my least favorite Bull of all time. The lastBulls game I had the chance to watch, we blew a 4th *again* and lost at home to a Nets team with no Irving or Levert.

As I said on the Bulls forum I lurk, I feel like a lifelong devout Catholic who secretly wants a divorce. Our marriage is completely loveless and I walk down the hallway sometimes just to touch old family photos and think of when we were happy. I go to sports bars and look at the prettier, more fun teams and then get a message from home that the kids are crying and uncle GarPax is drunk again, and cousin Boylen took the car and wrecked it.

So yeah, fuck the 2019-20 season so far. So many happy relationships and good stuff and I'm just a miserable son of a bitch.

Hey I feel a bit better! Cheers!

Can anyone name the highest scoring team in the NBA this season? Maybe the Bucks with Giannis somehow improving on his MVP performance from last year? Nope. Maybe the Rockets with Harden averaging 40 PPG? Nope. The NBA leading Lebron/AD Lakers? Not even close.

I can give you another 20 guesses, you still won't get it.

It's the motherfucking Wizards. Of Washington. Yes, the team whose best players outside of Beal are Thomas Bryant, Isaiah Thomas, Mo Wagner, Davis Bertans and Rui Hachimura. That's not their bench...those are literally their best players. And they're glorious. 

It's clear they had a meeting and decided if they couldn't be a good team they'd be a fun team. And I'm here for every second of it. They've already had a batshit 159-158 loss to Houston earlier this season where they blew an 11 point lead with 4 minutes to go. I so admire their dual commitment to not playing a lick of defense and jacking up every 3 they possibly can. 

This is the shitty John Wall Cap Hell Wizards I always wanted to root for. 

I really wanted the Magic to somehow find a way to get Doncic in the draft.  More so with anyone since Paul.  But goddamn, not in my wildest dreams did I think he'd be putting up these numbers.  Let's see if he can sustain them.

Archived