NBA Off-Season 2019 - Bridge Over the River Kawhi

Relic

8 hours ago, The Last Storm said:

Zion looked good in his debut. But his body holding up would be a big scare for me. I mean, I guess that’s what makes him so unique, being that athletic and that big but shit.

Watching him walk, even when he's on the floor but away from the play is concerning.  His gait is off.   Yeah, when he's playing he's smooth as hell.  But it really does look like he's carrying to much mass for his body.  Which for most humans would be fine.  Most of it appears to be muscle.  He's a professionally athlete in a sport that puts an awful lot of impact stress on the body, particularly the knees and ankles.  He's as gifted a playing as I have ever seen, he's not out of shape, and he apparently is a hard worker.  But they can't help him get his mass down, he's likely to blow his knees out.  

Portland is just so beat up. Nurkic and McCollum aren't world-beaters, but they are certainly better than Swanigan. Whiteside is an imbicile, long arms or no. I only casually watched the game - I love watching Doncic but the defense was so atrocious I turned it off - and a lot of it was Whiteside being completely unable to keep up with more than one quick switch or help rotation. I don't think they would be top 4 in the west even fully healthy, though. Which is too bad. Dame is just thrilling to watch.

I think that it is a combination of them overachieving last season, many injuries and that the other teams have improved. I mean, look at who are in secure playoff spots now. Lakers, Clippers, Mavs from this season, Denver from last season, and then the Jazz and Rockets. Even the Spurs are out/barely in. Only surprise is the Thunder after losing Westbrook and PG.

I agree with Proudfeet that the Blazers overachieved last year, and even more so with Argonath Diver that Whiteside is a net negative on any on which team he plays.  When Whiteside left the Heat, they immediately got better, and only 90% of that was the arrival of Jimmy Butler.

The fascinating thing about Portland is the arrival of Melo.  This portion of his career seems to bear out the notion that the presence of Melo on a team has no bearing on whether they win or lose.  He will score his points and play little defense, and despite the beauty of his offensive game, it won't actually make any difference whether he was there or not.

If you enjoy seeing some pure step-back jumpers and low post mano-a-mano, the Blazers are what to watch, but if you are a Portland fan, it is all just empty calories.

Archived