NBA Off-Season 2019 - Bridge Over the River Kawhi

Relic

M. Morris might walk back his verbal agreement with the Spurs to sign with the Knicks, who coincidentally want to be the first team in history to start 5 power forwards.

I strongly support this thread title.

So here's a question, with the championship looking so wide open this year and so many of the contending teams relying on a duo and would sink if either got hurt, is this going to be one of the more boring regular seasons in recent years?

I just wonder if everyone is going to heavily pace themselves and have limited minutes to stay as fresh as possible for the playoffs this year, because they know they have a real shot at winning. Basically, is everyone going to pull a LeBron?

Just now, Fez said:

I strongly support this thread title.

So here's a question, with the championship looking so wide open this year and so many of the contending teams relying on a duo and would sink if either got hurt, is this going to be one of the more boring regular seasons in recent years?

I just wonder if everyone is going to heavily pace themselves and have limited minutes to stay as fresh as possible for the playoffs this year, because they know they have a real shot at winning. Basically, is everyone going to pull a LeBron?

I think that practice is gaining steam regardless.  Kawhi was on limited minutes last year, and it wasn't really clear whether that was medically necessary or just something to help him be fresher in the playoffs.  But he certainly did look fresh. 

I think that resting stars for minor bumps and bruises will continue to get more common this year.  It dilutes the NBA regular season a bit, but the regular season is already diluted with the ridiculous number of games.  I consider myself an NBA fan, and last year I watched portions of maybe 5 or 6 regular season games.  It's a far cry from the NFL, where even a middling MNF matchup is worth at least a look. 

Great title.

I agree that resting your guys is going to become more and more common.  Not just in the NBA.  Hell, I'm a Yankees fan, and let's say next year their entire lineup is healthy - I still wouldn't want basically anyone playing more than 140 games.  Most I wouldn't want playing more than 130.  You're not gonna shorten the season in any sport - the owners want the money - but I don't think it's a problem that teams are trying to adjust around that.  

I agree that resting makes more and more sense. However, I also feel bad for fans going out to a game and then learning before it even starts that it'll almost certainly be a loss, and probably not even a fun one, because of who's resting. Unfortunately, I just don't think there's anything to be done, unless the season were shortened. Which, yeah, that's not going to happen.

21 minutes ago, Fez said:

I agree that resting makes more and more sense. However, I also feel bad for fans going out to a game and then learning before it even starts that it'll almost certainly be a loss, and probably not even a fun one, because of who's resting. Unfortunately, I just don't think there's anything to be done, unless the season were shortened. Which, yeah, that's not going to happen. 

I think that shortening the season slightly isn't completely out of the question.  Going from 82 to 76 wouldn't impact basketball revenue that much.  That's a decline of just 7% of regular season games, and those remaining 93% would presumably be (slightly) more important since they're a more scarce resource.  In addition, playoff revenue would be unaffected, and TV revenue would be less affected than you'd think, because the season would still have games every night, it's just fewer games.  So the TNT deal wouldn't have any fewer games to pay for.  Considering what a huge portion of the NBA money pool comes from those TV deals, you're looking at an overall decline not on the order of 7%, but probably more like 2-3% (I'm making these numbers up, but that seems reasonable). 

IF owners and players were actually getting something from that additional rest (fewer injured stars in the playoffs, fewer stars taking rest nights as a healthy scratch), then it could totally pay off.  The problem is that this is passing up on guaranteed money in favor of a theoretical and uncertain payoff.  Which is why it's a tough sell for Silver.  Nonetheless, I don't think it's impossible. 

5 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think that shortening the season slightly isn't completely out of the question

Agreed - shortening it like as you said, only 6 games, or even ten games, is definitely not out of the question.  Especially with players asserting themselves more and more in basically every facet.  And it actually working.  I just don't think you're gonna get to chop off much more than that (10).

17 hours ago, Fez said:

However, I also feel bad for fans going out to a game and then learning before it even starts that it'll almost certainly be a loss,

Every Knicks fan for the last 20 years, aside from 2013. Cry face. 

Yesterday's news, but I only saw it today:

I wonder if the Clippers knew there was a potential for this to only be a two-year run before they agreed to trade so much for Paul George.

9 minutes ago, Fez said:

I wonder if the Clippers knew there was a potential for this to only be a two-year run before they agreed to trade so much for Paul George.

Most teams would trade away a decade of draft picks for a two year window as title favorites.  And the Clippers, with 0 Finals appearances, are definitely one of them. 

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Yesterday's news, but I only saw it today:

It's a pretty big deal. And Paul George signed the same deal:  2 + a player option contract.

Every time stars come together we think they'll last 5-10 years when really it's always 3-4. Now if there's an injury or Kawhi or George don't get along or either starts to noticeably decline (which considering their combined injury history would not be out of the question), either or both could pull the ejection cord two years in and leave the Clippers in a state of burning wreckage. 

This was why the AD trade was such a haul - the chances the Lakers are still a superteam in the mid 2020s when the picks came due are pretty damn slim. And same deal here for OKC and the Clippers picks. Pels and Thunder have a ridiculously bright futures. 

18 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

It's a pretty big deal. And Paul George signed the same deal:  2 + a player option contract.

Every time stars come together we think they'll last 5-10 years when really it's always 3-4. Now if there's an injury or Kawhi or George don't get along or either starts to noticeably decline (which considering their combined injury history would not be out of the question), either or both could pull the ejection cord two years in and leave the Clippers in a state of burning wreckage. 

This was why the AD trade was such a haul - the chances the Lakers are still a superteam in the mid 2020s when the picks came due are pretty damn slim. And same deal here for OKC and the Clippers picks. Pels and Thunder have a ridiculously bright futures. 

Paul George was traded, so he didn't sign anything.

9 minutes ago, briantw said:

Paul George was traded, so he didn't sign anything.

Noted. Regardless he's still on the same 2+1 timeframe....which is probably a big part of why Kawhi signed a contract to put him in alignment with George's contract. 

44 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Most teams would trade away a decade of draft picks for a two year window as title favorites.  And the Clippers, with 0 Finals appearances, are definitely one of them. 

Are the Clippers title favorites though? If so, I think it's only by the slimmest of margins and that's only for this year. Next year, if KD fully recovers, it might be Brooklyn. It's not like they're the 2018 Warriors.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Are the Clippers title favorites though? If so, I think it's only by the slimmest of margins and that's only for this year. Next year, if KD fully recovers, it might be Brooklyn. It's not like they're the 2018 Warriors.

Kawhi and George are better than KD and Kyrie, even if KD comes back, which I doubt. The Clippers still have a lot of talent. They are instantly the best defensive team and they have two dudes who could have won sixth man.  

Just now, Fez said:

They are the Vegas favorites, yes.  It is fairly close, with the Lakers and Sixers next in line.  But you don't need to be overwhelming favorites to make a move like this worth it.  They have two very realistic shots at being NBA champs by 2021.  In the past 20 years, how many teams have had similarly good shots?  10?  I know I can easily make a long list of teams that were haven't been anywhere near this close.   

Ok, so I was curious and made a quick list.  The criteria is "Has this team in the past twenty years (2000-2019) had a two year window as promising as the Clippers right now?"

Yes (7) - Celtics, Cavaliers, Warriors, Lakers, Heat, Thunder, Spurs

No (18) - Hawks, Nets, Hornets, Bulls, Nuggets, Pacers, Clippers, Grizzlies, Bucks, Timberwolves, Pelicans, Knicks, Magic, Sixers, Raptors, Jazz, Wizards, Blazers  

Maybe (5) - Mavericks, Pistons, Rockets, Kings, Suns

Note that I am aware that the Raptors, Mavericks and Pistons won titles over this span.  But sometimes long shots come through - it doesn't mean they were particularly likely to win.  The Raptors were like 15 to 1 odds on a championship before last season. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Ok, so I was curious and made a quick list.  The criteria is "Has this team in the past twenty years (2000-2019) had a two year window as promising as the Clippers right now?"

Yes (7) - Celtics, Cavaliers, Warriors, Lakers, Heat, Thunder, Spurs

No (18) - Hawks, Nets, Hornets, Bulls, Nuggets, Pacers, Clippers, Grizzlies, Bucks, Timberwolves, Pelicans, Knicks, Magic, Sixers, Raptors, Jazz, Wizards, Blazers  

Maybe (5) - Mavericks, Pistons, Rockets, Kings, Suns

Note that I am aware that the Raptors, Mavericks and Pistons won titles over this span.  But sometimes long shots come through - it doesn't mean they were particularly likely to win.  The Raptors were like 15 to 1 odds on a championship before last season. 

I don't about "as promising" because we still have to see how this team comes together but the Mavs (2006-2007), Pistons (2004-2005), Kings (2001-2003), Suns (2006-2010) all had windows as elite contenders. Infact that's probably an understatement. They all had a period of time where they were either the out and out favorite or co-favorite. That's roughly where the Clippers are now. 

I'm not ready to say Kawhi/George is immediately better than the 6 seconds or less Suns or those great C-Webb Kings teams. I need to see it first. 

Archived