Relic

NBA Off-Season 2019 - Bridge Over the River Kawhi

At work this morning and I have the USA v Greece pulled up.  My first FIBA game to watch.  Just a bit odd watching the coach talking to his team from the other side of a wall and other subtle oddities.

"The wall" is a pretty recent thing. I've been watching FIBA basketball for 24 years now and I can't remember when it was added first but it seems like it's been in the last five years, max.

Longtime Cavs commentator Fred McLeod died yesterday, and I just wanted to post here about it because he was a great guy.  I got the chance to meet him several years ago during Kyrie Irving's rookie year in Cleveland.  During a game when the Cavs were visiting Charlotte on MLK day, back when I used twitter occasionally, I commented to Fred that I was at the game.  Oddly, he replied to me to come down to the court and say hi after the game was over.  I did, and got to meet him and former Cavs legend Austin Carr.  

They were both great guys.  I got to shoot the shit with them for a couple of minutes about the Cavs, LeBron leaving, Kyrie being drafted, the whole nine yards.  It was a really cool experience for someone who had spent the past decade-plus listening to these guys on TV.  Fred had no reason to invite me down there, but I've heard tons of similar stories of him interacting with Cavs fans.  He was one of the good ones.  

Cavs broadcasts are just not gonna be the same now.

ETA: Will always love the video of him breaking down after the Cavs won in 2016.

Edited by briantw

Less than a minute here to play against France and it looks like we're done.

I guess we will get the Serbia vs USA match after all. Just not the way we wanted it. :lol: 

This is absolutely embarrassing. The stars who could have reasonably played but didn’t should be equally disgraced as this sorry group of flunkies we sent overseas.

That's what happens when you go to the World Cup with your 5th team the members of which have zero experience playing together and most of them are new to FIBA basketball.

Rough go. Maybe for the Olympics next year we'll send more than the Boston Celtics and one of the Plumlee bros. 

12 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Rough go. Maybe for the Olympics next year we'll send more than the Boston Celtics and one of the Plumlee bros. 

If we had all three Plumlees we'd be unstoppable.

9 minutes ago, Rhom said:

If we had all three Plumlees we'd be unstoppable.

We should combine them with the Lopez brothers. That's our starting 5. Your move, world. 

I’ll see your Plumlees and raise you a 400 pound Zion. The Eurocommies won’t know what to do with that.  

6 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

We should combine them with the Lopez brothers. That's our starting 5. Your move, world. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

I’ll see your Plumlees and raise you a 400 pound Zion. The Eurocommies won’t know what to do with that.  

I say we fill our bench with scrubs like Mychal/Klay Thompson and Seth/Steph Curry.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

I say we fill our bench with scrubs like Mychal/Klay Thompson and Seth/Steph Curry.

All jokes aside, this really is disgraceful. I didn't expect us to win it all, but getting bounced this early by France is the real joke. 

Just watched Argentina knock off France. That was totally unexpected.

On 9/12/2019 at 12:32 AM, Tywin et al. said:

All jokes aside, this really is disgraceful. I didn't expect us to win it all, but getting bounced this early by France is the real joke. 

Have you taken a look at French roster? Also, France won bronze in the previous World Championship so it's not as if they came out of nowhere.

On 9/13/2019 at 3:57 PM, Rhom said:

Just watched Argentina knock off France. That was totally unexpected.

If you had seen them play, you wouldn't say that. Argentines have a pretty good and compact team that played their asses off for every single possession in this tournament.

4 hours ago, baxus said:

Have you taken a look at French roster? Also, France won bronze in the previous World Championship so it's not as if they came out of nowhere.

If you had seen them play, you wouldn't say that. Argentines have a pretty good and compact team that played their asses off for every single possession in this tournament.

Yeah, and it’s trash.