Relic

NBA Off-Season 2019 - Bridge Over the River Kawhi

Curry and Green want to go to the olympics. As with all the other no shows, they should be told in no uncertain terms to get fucked. 

9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Curry and Green want to go to the olympics. As with all the other no shows, they should be told in no uncertain terms to get fucked. 

How dare you speak ill of Saint Curry!

In all seriousness though, he gets a pass for skipping it. Making five straight Finals excesses you from international play if you want to rest. Players like AD are the ones who should get mocked endlessly.

Have we all forgotten that Paul George's horrible broken leg injury happened because he was playing on Team USA? 

His career could've ended right then and there, luckily for him he was able to recover.

I cannot blame any NBA player who chooses to bypass these international games. The NBA season is way too long and too many games on your knees and joints as it is. Thier health is a legitimate consideration for weighing any participation beyond the grueling demands they already have on those legs.

13 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Have we all forgotten that Paul George's horrible broken leg injury happened because he was playing on Team USA? 

His career could've ended right then and there, luckily for him he was able to recover.

I cannot blame any NBA player who chooses to bypass these international games. The NBA season is way too long and too many games on your knees and joints as it is. Thier health is a legitimate consideration for weighing any participation beyond the grueling demands they already have on those legs.

So that applies to the olympics as well then? 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

So that applies to the olympics as well then? 

The Olympics should be amateur athletes in my opinion, so yes I'd prefer professionals not being eligible from any country.

47 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The Olympics should be amateur athletes in my opinion, so yes I'd prefer professionals not being eligible from any country.

Well we agree on that. Nothing pissed me off as much as the uk press celebrating Andy Murray and Justin Rose winning golds last time out. 

59 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I'm pretty sure most of the participating athletes are professionals or at least as far as they are able. I know some sports have rule restrictions but I'd prefer to watch top tier competition. The rule restrictions serve more to protect the interest of the main products of the sport so I don't see the point.

14 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The thing is that it becomes a bit difficult to draw the line between professionals and amateurs, which is the main reason why professional athletes were allowed to compete (in most sports) in the Olympics.

Before pros were allowed to play basketball in the Olympics, "professional athlete" meant "player in the NBA" so players of European clubs were allowed to play despite being paid rather well (though much less than their NBA colleagues) to play basketball. Or do we ban them as well and stick with what Soviet Union did - giving their players military rank so they can play basketball while "being employed by the military"?

13 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I'm pretty sure most of the participating athletes are professionals or at least as far as they are able. I know some sports have rule restrictions but I'd prefer to watch top tier competition. The rule restrictions serve more to protect the interest of the main products of the sport so I don't see the point.

To be honest, I'd like to see every sport in which the Olympics is not THE competition removed from the Olympics. For example, i don't see the point in having football or tennis in the Olympics. Don't know much about boxing but I know that Olympic medal, though usually a stepping stone to a pro career, is still highly valued. I'm sure there are other sports that wouldn't make the cut if that was the way Olympic events were picked.

24 minutes ago, baxus said:

To be honest, I'd like to see every sport in which the Olympics is not THE competition removed from the Olympics. For example, i don't see the point in having football or tennis in the Olympics. Don't know much about boxing but I know that Olympic medal, though usually a stepping stone to a pro career, is still highly valued. I'm sure there are other sports that wouldn't make the cut if that was the way Olympic events were picked.

Tennis I can see. The Davis Cup and Grand Slams are not quite the same.

Football is one of those sports with restrictions to protect their main product (World Cup). There isn't a point in having two similar competitions (national teams) so they changed the rules to give it some purpose. No idea why Americans value the Olympics more than the World Cup for basketball though. They seem fundamentally the same to me. More exposure to non basketball fans maybe?

The entire sport of boxing could be abolished for all I care. With all the documentation on the adverse long-term effects of concussions available now, can't say I am impressed with a sport where giving your opponent a severe enough concussion to knock them out is a strategy / goal. Maybe it was considered safe before but as far as I am concerned, it is barely above gladiators duelling in a coliseum now.

Eh, I say let all the pros compete, but I won't fight you if you want to set age limits. Perhaps this opinion is soaked in American perspective, but I find the way our colleges make so much money off of amateur athletes to be completely disgusting. The NCAA would be worse than FIFA if not for that whole "we're building stadiums with slaves in Qatar" business. 

Random question on the subject. Aren't all the good young talents in European football already kinds of pro athletes on a way? Or do the youth clubs not pay them in some respects?

On 9/21/2019 at 12:45 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Random question on the subject. Aren't all the good young talents in European football already kinds of pro athletes on a way? Or do the youth clubs not pay them in some respects?

It's a completely different system from the one in the states. Kids get through club academies and youth system, starting from a pretty early age. By the time youngsters get to be 17-18, they have either already signed pro contracts or are on the verge of signing one.

I'm not sure about the legal issues here, and what type of contract an underage player can sign or if they can sign one at all, but I'm 100% certain that they are getting paid one way or another. Sometimes it's a system of getting monthly stipends, sometimes it's getting their parents very well paid jobs, you name it.

That being said, there have been serious punishments for clubs breaking the rules concerning youth players transfers and signings. For example, Chelsea have been banned from the transfer market for 2 transfer windows (basically a full year) for breaking those rules.

5 hours ago, baxus said:

It's a completely different system from the one in the states. Kids get through club academies and youth system, starting from a pretty early age. By the time youngsters get to be 17-18, they have either already signed pro contracts or are on the verge of signing one.

I'm not sure about the legal issues here, and what type of contract an underage player can sign or if they can sign one at all, but I'm 100% certain that they are getting paid one way or another. Sometimes it's a system of getting monthly stipends, sometimes it's getting their parents very well paid jobs, you name it.

That being said, there have been serious punishments for clubs breaking the rules concerning youth players transfers and signings. For example, Chelsea have been banned from the transfer market for 2 transfer windows (basically a full year) for breaking those rules.

I can’t say every player is getting paid under the table, but almost all organizations are paying some players under the table in one form or another. For example, a private school bought my friend’s mom a house to transfer when he was just 13.

Yeah, lines between amateur and professional athletes are getting more and more blurry by the day.

1 hour ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Ben Simmons hit a 3 and now I don't know what's real anymore.

It’s like that scene where Happy Gilmore reveals he can putt.

On 10/7/2019 at 7:45 AM, Rhom said:

Daryl Morey runs afoul of a complicated mix of money and politics.

All I know is that when Rick Scott and Beto O’Rourke are both tweeting on the same side of an issue... the NBA probably got their response wrong.

I know I'm in a dark place when I agree with Ted Cruz. The whole situation is weird, especially when you consider nobody in mainland China could see the tweet.

The NBA just looks bad.  They actively encourage activism from their players in our country no matter the groups they may offend, but when faced with actual perpetrators of institutional human rights violations they fold quicker than a bad poker hand.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

The NBA just looks bad.  They actively encourage activism from their players in our country no matter the groups they may offend, but when faced with actual perpetrators of institutional human rights violations they fold quicker than a bad poker hand.

Trump called out Pop and Kerr for not criticizing China. He was doing it in the context that they'd been willing to criticize American institutions, and obviously his own perspective is fucked up and retrograde, but in this one scintilla of a moment, he was... correct about that.

Edited by DanteGabriel

Kind of like the group Casey will be coaching in Motown this year. The Pistons added D.Rose and Markief Morris to give them a more competitive bench. Kennard is going to score a boat load of 3's as well.