Relic

NBA Off-Season 2019 - Bridge Over the River Kawhi

So Boston will end up with Hayward for 81 games over these 3 yrs of contract 2017-19. They still have him signed for one more year before he become a FA for 2021, dude will be collecting a shit ton of guaranteed money and be a significant cap hit. Gotta be so exasperating for the Celts situation.

Gordon Hayward signed a 4 year / $127,829,970 contract with the Boston Celtics, including $127,829,970 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $31,957,493. In 2019-20, Hayward will earn a base salary of $32,700,690, while carrying a cap hit of $32,700,690 and a dead cap value of $32,700,690.
Edited by DireWolfSpirit

Brutal stats on Hayward.  At least at this early juncture though doesn't it seem like the addition by subtraction move with getting Kyrie out and getting Kemba in is looking pretty good for Boston?  

Yeah Kemba would be my choice over Isiah T or Kyrie so thats progress in their backcourt at least. 

Speaking of progress my Pistons are getting Blake Griffin back for his season debut tomorrow night against Minnesota so hopefully that'll make them more effective. They've held on going 4-6 with him out. Hoping Rose could go to but he's been out a few games lately as well. These guys can still play but Detroit will definitely need to manage minutes with thier 30+ yr olds.

Hayward is only expected to miss 6 weeks, his fracture is pretty minor apparently. Still a shame since he finally looked back to his best before it happened, but it could have been much worse.

Anyway, Doncic has been killing it this year. I can't recall another player who saw this game so well and had these kind of elite ballhandling and passing skills at his age. He doesn't look his age at all, his decisionmaking is unreal. And his stepback 3 is lethal.

Andrew Wiggins, please stop trying to suck me back in. He's been on a tear as of late and is finally rebounding and assisting like we thought he could. 

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Andrew Wiggins, please stop trying to suck me back in. He's been on a tear as of late and is finally rebounding and assisting like we thought he could. 

Might have to bump his contract status from "worst in the league" to "merely bad."

11 minutes ago, briantw said:

Might have to bump his contract status from "worst in the league" to "merely bad."

Nope, Wall still owns that title, and I can think of other worse contracts. The one thing I've always held out on with Wiggins is his coaching situation and it seems like it's finally improved.

Year 1: Coach 1 who doesn't want to be a coach.

Year 2: Coach 2 hates him.

Years 3, 4 and part of 5: Coach 3, worst I've ever seen.

Since Coach 3 was fired, pretty solid player because Coach 4 likes him, wants him to succeed and knows how to get through to him while finally introducing a modern style of basketball. 

16 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nope, Wall still owns that title, and I can think of other worse contracts. The one thing I've always held out on with Wiggins is his coaching situation and it seems like it's finally improved.

Year 1: Coach 1 who doesn't want to be a coach.

Year 2: Coach 2 hates him.

Years 3, 4 and part of 5: Coach 3, worst I've ever seen.

Since Coach 3 was fired, pretty solid player because Coach 4 likes him, wants him to succeed and knows how to get through to him while finally introducing a modern style of basketball. 

Coaching makes a big difference.  The Cavs were horrendous last year.  This year, basically the same roster, team looks competitive and competent.  I know Love missing most of last year played a part in their struggles, but I read lots of insider stuff about how they didn't even really run an actual offense last year and this season it's night and day.  

13 minutes ago, briantw said:

Coaching makes a big difference.  The Cavs were horrendous last year.  This year, basically the same roster, team looks competitive and competent.  I know Love missing most of last year played a part in their struggles, but I read lots of insider stuff about how they didn't even really run an actual offense last year and this season it's night and day.  

Indeed. Just look at the Suns. Nobody expected them to be good, but Williams has them playing well.

8 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Because Luka is going to average a 30 point triple double at age 20. 

Ah, okay, the age wrinkle, on ‘back to individual stats’ in even years thing, I like it! Not really explaining why that’s more valuable than ~ 38/10/8/2, but it’s absolutely the kind of narrative that it’ll be. Nice one. 

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Any early favourites on the reason Harden won’t win the MVP this year?

Because his game sucks to watch?

In other news, Wiggins and Towns have another set of great nights, leading the Wolves to a blowout win over the Spurs. Wiggins went for 30/8/7 and Towns put in 28/11/4, all while playing fewer minutes than normal. And I’m happy to say that I think we got a steal with the 6th pick. Culver looks like he can be a stud once he gets a bit more seasoning. For those who don’t recognize the name, he’s the sophomore who led Texas Tech to the National Championship game.

7 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Any early favourites on the reason Harden won’t win the MVP this year?

Giannis

Kawhi's never won it, right?  If Kawhi wants it, he can go get it.  But I kinda suspect he doesn't really want it. 

43 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Kawhi's never won it, right?  If Kawhi wants it, he can go get it.  But I kinda suspect he doesn't really want it. 

He'll never play enough games. He's going to be on load management for his entire career. 

10 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Ah, okay, the age wrinkle, on ‘back to individual stats’ in even years thing, I like it! Not really explaining why that’s more valuable than ~ 38/10/8/2, but it’s absolutely the kind of narrative that it’ll be. Nice one. 

I presume you are referring to Harden and I get the 38 ppg and 8 apg... but what is the 10?  Anyways Giannis does less scoring but almost triple the boards, only 1 assist less,, and is so much better defensively it is not even funny.

On 11/14/2019 at 7:36 PM, Slurktan said:

I presume you are referring to Harden and I get the 38 ppg and 8 apg... but what is the 10?  Anyways Giannis does less scoring but almost triple the boards, only 1 assist less,, and is so much better defensively it is not even funny.

The 10 is apg, we’re only 2 years from his leading the league in assists In his first year at the point, and Westbrook plays less direct on ball than Paul did, and he averages over 10apg at the point before Paul. He’s only topped 8rpg once, so that’s probably less realistic, i was just going off the top of my head exploring how people do/don’t value raw stats.